Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Blacks v Irish property developers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

What about the lads who hush you when a penalty is being taken? .... in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

What do you consider to be a sport?

I would consider any activity that requires fitness and skill.

Some of these rugby lads look fatter than Rick Waller - skill ? running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.
    Nonsense game.

Golf I wouldn't consider a sport either, it is skilled sure, but you have fat old men winning PGA world tours ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

What about the lads who hush you when a penalty is being taken? .... in the pub.

Haha, that is one of the most ridiculous things ever. "show respect". Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I would consider any activity that requires fitness and skill.

Some of these rugby lads look fatter than Rick Waller - skill ? running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.
    Nonsense game.

Golf I wouldn't consider a sport either, it is skilled sure, but you have fat old men winning PGA world tours ffs...

Ah, here... I hate rugby as much as others pretend to like it. But it is a sport. As is golf, which I also hate. It's possible to dislike a sport without needing to pretend that it isn't one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The GAA get trounced if we play the Aussies in international rules, want to start having pops at them?

The coverage was over the top but that isn't unique to rugby, it's any sport we are seen to be doing well in.

Ireland have won more than lost against the aussies, the aussies usually have to resort to outright thuggery in order to win

That event has been dead for years anyway

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Come on mate. I apologised for hooking up with your girl. It was a one night stand. No need to slag off my whole country for it.

My girl doesn't understand mangled English so you were sh1t out of luck from the start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

running and knocking people over with pure momentum - any fat guy could be a "world class" rugby player.

If that's true, surely you can list off lots of fat world-class rugby players.

Examples...?

If that's true, surely you can list off lots of fat world-class rugby players.

Examples...?

Cian healy has always been fat

Whether he is "world class", I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

An awed hush descends across the country. Just the sound of respect and Ryle Nugent's self pleasure are broadcast, as Johnny Sexy carefully places the ball.

I laughed and laughed at the result. There's only a handful of teams who play the the sport and yet the shoulder-to-shoulder boys still can't get the quarters :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Keith Wood was a fat world class player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Cian healy has always been fat

Whether he is "world class", I'm not so sure

Cian Healy has a body fat percentage of about 10%.

You'd be incredibly hard pressed to find any "fat" top rugby player tbh. They would all be on strict diets and their fat levels monitored on a weekly basis.

Even prop forwards would be required to be between about 12 and 14% on the bodyfat scale. Very few backs will be over 10% barring an odd exception like Bastaureud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

As a few in here have said, not a rugby can at all but the level of hatred on here is incredible.

It's a very accessible bandwagon sport that we happen to be top half in the world at.

jr86 wrote: »
    Cian Healy has a body fat percentage of about 10%.

You'd be incredibly hard pressed to find any "fat" top rugby player tbh. They would all be on strict diets and their fat levels monitored on a weekly basis.

Even prop forwards would be required to be between about 12 and 14% on the bodyfat scale. Very few backs will be over 10% barring an odd exception like Bastaureud
    His body fat percentage has ranged between 11 and 19 percent. 19% isn't fat but isn't classed as fit either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

As a few in here have said, not a rugby can at all but the level of hatred on here is incredible.

It's a very accessible bandwagon sport that we happen to be top half in the world at.

8th best out of 10....again!

The rest are rank amateur pub sides, and tiny countries.
    Samoa has the same population as Co. Limerick.
    Tonga has a population less than Co. Waterford.
    Fiji population 900,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭doughef

The rugby team are a sham .

Glad they got called out on it for once .

I hope this disgrace knocks back the association 50 years, and they have to endure decades more of misery ...

I also hope they never win a game again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Yeah but once they beat NZ in a friendly... It was the greatest sporting achievement of all time. Apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

His body fat percentage has ranged between 11 and 19 percent. 19% isn't fat but isn't classed as fit either.

Healy?

I would be beyond amazed if he was anywhere near 19% bodyfat at any stage in season (not injured)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

I think the problems arise because many Irish people can't connect with rugby players. Private schools and all that and then some of their behaviour off the field. The sexual stuff has been well publicised, pissing on people and all of that. Maybe that's part of the problem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I think the problems arise because many Irish people can't connect with rugby players. Private schools and all that and then some of their behaviour off the field. The sexual stuff has been well publicised, pissing on people and all of that. Maybe that's part of the problem?
    Pissing on people is ok so long as they are adults and consenting .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

blinding wrote: »
    Pissing on people is ok so long as they are adults and consenting .

I don't think the pissee was consenting!

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Healy?

I would be beyond amazed if he was anywhere near 19% bodyfat at any stage in season (not injured)
    prepare to be beyond amazed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/how-cian-healy-used-post-it-notes-to-save-his-career-464356.html

I don't think the pissee was consenting!
    And no water proof pockets ! Amateur stuff for a rugby man !:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Pissing on people. They are used to that in Clongowes where the punishment is a spanking by Nanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

At least we still have the soccer team
    Edgware wrote: »
    Anther crowd of over rated ****

Not to mention over paid.

Next time you see the Irish soccer team standing around like the mannequins on a Foozball table and watch the ball ricochet around them with all the control of a car crash, consider the fact that none of those semi-skilled journeymen are earning less than a million quid a year.
    (or £20,000 a week if you insist on pretending that they are paid a working class wage in used fivers through the accounts hatch every Friday)

"Rugby is a game for gentlemen of all classes"

Edgware wrote: »
    Pissing on people. They are used to that in Clongowes where the punishment is a spanking by Nanny.
    Is nanny a looker ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That's just marketing nonsense from Vodafone, I'm hopeful must people ignore such dross.

As evidenced by the few dozen people at the airport yesterday, teamofus is only when they win it seems.

Not to mention over paid.

Next time you see the Irish soccer team standing around like the mannequins on a Foozball table and watch the ball ricochet around them with all the control of a car crash, consider the fact that none of those semi-skilled journeymen are earning less than a million quid a year.
    (or £20,000 a week if you insist on pretending that they are paid a working class wage in used fivers through the accounts hatch every Friday)

"Rugby is a game for gentlemen of all classes"

Its gas that the professional classes and market economy types who tend to make up the rugby supporting fraternity, tend to ignore the fact that soccer players are paid like that because of those very same market forces that you all bow down to. Its vastly more popular than your minority sport with its 8 nations worth mentioning, thus it generates many multiples more money to distribute amongst those lucky enough to be able to play it professionally.

The rest are rank amateur pub sides, and tiny countries.
    Samoa has the same population as Co. Limerick.
    Tonga has a population less than Co. Waterford.
    Fiji population 900,000.

Ten is being generous.
    Its an irrelevance as a world game.

The fans let themselves down by booing during the Haka, you would have thought they would have been told when they were going to their private school that it's bad manners to do someting like that.

All of a sudden you're an expert:rolleyes:

I didn't hear any booing; I heard the Fields of Athenry being belted out, which I thought was great. I'm fine with the All Blacks doing the haka but they have no right to demand how other people react to it. It's a challenge, it can be met with a response.

The Irish fans singing their hearts out in reply was a great response. We should do it again. Next time.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Its gas that the professional classes and market economy types who tend to make up the rugby supporting fraternity, tend to ignore the fact that soccer players are paid like that because of those very same market forces that you all bow down to.

"The rain falls on prince and pauper alike"

We're all "market economy types"; the forces act on all of us and we have to adapt as best we can. It's not a question of "bowing down to them". This whole thread is about the affection and respect one feels is deserved of those who represent us internationally.

I like soccer but I prefer the Irish rugby team. Always have.

They're just better people. Regardless of their class.

What, exactly, do you mean by that?

Rugny league exists because the poshos kept their sport amateur to ensure the working classes couldnt be part of it. So the working classes formed a new game for themselves.
    Every element of the union game is elitist and exclusionary in nature. I cant abide it at all, and I'm personally delighted its been kicked off its high horse here.
    Its popularity here is a product of and runs parallel with the celtic tiger, when so many became materialistic, money orientated shallow f**kers. Loads of them saw rugby as something to be associated with, and thus took an 'interest' in following it. The numbers actually participating in it beyond shouting at the tv in the likes of Searsons or Kielys is still painfully low, 12th in the country in terms of participation.
    The largely middle class media we have flagellate themselves over it chasing their middle class audience. The players are all 'legends' or 'heroes' once they manage to get their arms thru the sleeves of their jerseys. Judged in a completely different manner to people in other sports.
    They play in an 8 team sport and have never managed to get past the last 8 which is pitiful. Serial failures held up as the greatest sportsmen in the country without any justification at all.
    I hope a bit of hubris is brought to them, but like their ilk who caused our recession, I doubt it will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

Personally I find football dull as dishwater. Great game to play, an absolutely abysmal sport to watch.

But neither do I feel the need to squeeze out a long smelly string of wet brown rope onto the faces of all those inadequate Irish footballers. They have much fewer successes than the rugby players, but are encased in a losing tradition stretching back since the birth of the beautiful game really. Different people will enjoy those different strokes. My football team is much more successful but still I won't watch that game.

amazing the crap people will follow if Ireland wins at it, they'd go mad for the hammer throwing if we had some lad that could chuck a hammer 100m ... or whatever the olympic gold standard is for that ...

You do know that we used to be the best at the world in the hammer throw?
    Seven of the first eight gold medals won in the modern Olympics were awarded to men born and raised in Ireland. Between 1900 and 1932 it was won by John Flanagan (three times) Matt McGrath, Patrick Ryan and Pat O'Callaghan (twice).

Only the latter actually won it for Ireland (in 1928 and 1932). Ireland didn't compete as an independent country before then. Flanagan, McGrath and Ryan were known as the Irish Whales, they were all born within a few miles of each other on the Limerick/Tipperary border, all won for the US and all worked at the same day job, which was of course as policemen in the NYPD.

New York's finest!

And still remembered 100+ years later.

What was your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Tadhg Furlong, a good Irish property developer.
    All the Munster lads, yep good Irish property developers.

And wow, jesus wept when some south Dubliners wanted to do the best for their kids and they ended up playing their rugby and getting educated in Blackrock, Clongowes or St. Michaels.

There's this great thing called "Live and let live". And there is absolutely no disputing that rugby has done much better than the GAA at including everybody (especially in small towns, etc). In GAA, you'll always be an outsider if you are not from the parish.

Ah good old Irish begrudgery, don't ever change.

Rugny league exists because the poshos kept their sport amateur to ensure the working classes couldnt be part of it. So the working classes formed a new game for themselves.
    Every element of the union game is elitist and exclusionary in nature. I cant abide it at all, and I'm personally delighted its been kicked off its high horse here.
    Its popularity here is a product of and runs parallel with the celtic tiger, when so many became materialistic, money orientated shallow f**kers. Loads of them saw rugby as something to be associated with, and thus took an 'interest' in following it. The numbers actually participating in it beyond shouting at the tv in the likes of Searsons or Kielys is still painfully low, 12th in the country in terms of participation.
    The largely middle class media we have flagellate themselves over it chasing their middle class audience. The players are all 'legends' or 'heroes' once they manage to get their arms thru the sleeves of their jerseys. Judged in a completely different manner to people in other sports.
    They play in an 8 team sport and have never managed to get past the last 8 which is pitiful. Serial failures held up as the greatest sportsmen in the country without any justification at all.
    I hope a bit of hubris is brought to them, but like their ilk who caused our recession, I doubt it will happen.

Talk about a chip on your shoulder!

You've got an Intel factory on each!

• Advertisement

Andreas77 wrote: »
    Personally I find football dull as dishwater. Great game to play, an absolutely abysmal sport to watch.

But neither do I feel the need to squeeze out a long smelly string of wet brown rope onto the faces of all those inadequate Irish footballers. They have much fewer successes than the rugby players, but are encased in a losing tradition stretching back since the birth of the beautiful game really. Different people will enjoy those different strokes. My football team is much more successful but still I won't watch that game.

To reach the top in soccer is simply far, far harder than it is in rugby.
    Our achievements in the soccer world cup far outweigh those in the rugby world cup in terms of difficulty and achievement.

We're pretty good at showjumping, and women's hockey. Two more good respectable sports.

Talk about a chip on your shoulder!

You've got an Intel factory on each!

Coming from someone who suggests rugby players are 'better people' I'll take that as a compliment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Its gas that the professional classes and market economy types who tend to make up the rugby supporting fraternity...

Over one million people tune in for Ireland's WC quarter-final with the All Blacks."

That's a lot of "market economy types." Doesn't even include those who watched on Eir or RTE Player.

From an Independent article today:

"It is true many of us have had a jolly time laughing at the "guys" and their blockbusting capitulation to the All Blacks in Japan. Unless you've been privately educated, work in public relations and /or make a point of wearing your statement sunglasses up over your head, the rolling omni-shambles that is Irish rugby is the comedy that is forever yielding chuckles. How awful if that was ever taken away from us."

Most comically, it's an article about the Dail voting controversy and other deficiencies in Ireland. His bitterness must have been extreme for him to have forced in a discussion of the Irish rugby team.

Tadhg Furlong, a good Irish property developer.
    All the Munster lads, yep good Irish property developers.

And wow, jesus wept when some south Dubliners wanted to do the best for their kids and they ended up playing their rugby and getting educated in Blackrock, Clongowes or St. Michaels.

There's this great thing called "Live and let live". And there is absolutely no disputing that rugby has done much better than the GAA at including everybody (especially in small towns, etc). In GAA, you'll always be an outsider if you are not from the parish.

Ah the typical irish response to anyone who doesn't climb on the bandwagon, call them a begrudger. Don't ever change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Andreas77

That is simply untrue. Any country in the world can produce mediocre football team capable of “parking bus” against “on paper” superior team, with hope of edging stalemate by virtue of penalty in final quarter.
    Rugby is far more difficult game to succeed in than football because it requires more in physicality, more in discipline, more in intelligence, and more in bravery.
    Reason many football matches are so close in score is not because of high levels of skill, but because beautiful game is fairly easy to be decent at, whereas being good at rugby is far more difficult. Rugby has been played for many years in Germany, but still they have not the ability, also Spain, but even country like Ireland can put out football team capable of running good team close. There is no equivalent to New Zealand in football because ceiling is much lower. There is less to be good at, less to understand, less ways to play the game (tactics), less variety of physical specimens needed, just less variety in all facets.
    Anyway I won’t talk of Irish footballers as I can’t bear to watch that. Different people will find different strokes. We won't argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

We're pretty good at showjumping, and women's hockey. Two more good respectable sports.

That's if the horses is not drugged 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

That is simply untrue. Any country in the world can produce mediocre football team capable of “parking bus” against “on paper” superior team, with hope of edging stalemate by virtue of penalty in final quarter.
    Rugby is far more difficult game to succeed in than football because it requires more in physicality, more in discipline, more in intelligence, and more in bravery.
    Reason many football matches are so close in score is not because of high levels of skill, but because beautiful game is fairly easy to be decent at, whereas being good at rugby is far more difficult. Rugby has been played for many years in Germany, but still they have not the ability, also Spain, but even country like Ireland can put out football team capable of running good team close. There is no equivalent to New Zealand in football because ceiling is much lower. There is less to be good at, less to understand, less ways to play the game (tactics), less variety of physical specimens needed, just less variety in all facets.
    Anyway I won’t talk of Irish footballers as I can’t bear to watch that. Different people will find different strokes. We won't argue.

This is why people take the piss when #teamofus enevitablty **** the bed in every World Cup.

Seeing as there are only ever 5, at most 6, competitive teams in the World Cup and Ireland have never gone beyond the last 8 is not really saying a lot for the disipline, intelligence and bravery of your heroes.

Sorry mate, but you are talking absolute bollox.
    Complete and utter bollox.
    The simple fact of the numbers playing soccer mean reaching the elite level is harder. The argument ends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Germany, USA and Spain are **** at rugby for the same reason that Ireland is **** at tennis. You might get a few oddballs playing it once they find out they aren’t good enough for other sports but nobody actually dreams of playing the RWC final in those countries. Ireland probably has high numbers of people playing tennis but there’s no culture of it, it’s a simple game but nothing that demands excellence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭GreenandRed

The last game I went to was a Leinster v Munster game, maybe not the best to assess things on but it wasn't great. I was surrounded by other Leinster fans so maybe I didn't hear the abuse from the other side but shouts of 'go home to the bog', 'culchie knackers' and things like that turned me off. We never went again.

A few posh bigots drove you away by letting you know they weren't happy about you being there? You'll encounter bigots all your life. If you liked the rest of the match experience, and I'm guessing there were some decent people there, go again and ignore people like that. The thing they want most from people is a reaction, ignoring them isn't easy, granted, but it'll scupper their powertrip. For me they're definitely in the minority so don't let them influence how you want to do things.

Coming from someone who suggests rugby players are 'better people' I'll take that as a compliment.

I've been going to rugby internationals (here and abroad) for more than 40 years. I've also been to a few soccer matches. Granted, Irish soccer fans are generally speaking a sound bunch, out for the craic and not prone to nastiness.

The same cannot be said for many of the other "stakeholders" such as English football fans (in particular) but also those of other countries. There's a reason soccer fans have to be escorted by police from train stations and coralled into tightly segregated enclosures whereas rugby fans (and GAA fans, let's be fair) can mingle before during and after the game with impunity and no threat to the local populace.

Here's the acid test: when and where was rugby (or the GAA's) equivalent of The Heysel riot, the Hillsborough catastrophe, the Lansdowne Road riot, the (sic) Hampden riot........I could go on.

Better people. It's the only explanation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

My granny had advice on that as well...switch it off.

Why do you think anyone cares what your granny thinks? You are part of her line. Ergo, not that pushed on what her simplistic views are. Find me a quote on rugby from Isaac Newton's granny and we may have something to consider. Some old lady spouting generalities in Monaghan or Cavan, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This is why people take the piss when #teamofus enevitablty **** the bed in every World Cup.

Seeing as there are only ever 5, at most 6, competitive teams in the World Cup and Ireland have never gone beyond the last 8 is not really saying a lot for the disipline, intelligence and bravery of your heroes.

Who is 'taking the piss' of a company's advertising slogan cashing in on a team's success, just like Opel quickly did on the Irish soccer team's success or AIG did on Dublin's.

Nobody of any importance is 'taking the piss', just the lazy arsed perpetual moaners disappointed because they got suckered into some hype.

Deary me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Men vs goys.

Racist

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
Advertisement