Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a faulty electrical item

Options
  • 19-10-2019 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello,

I tried returning a faulty electrical item, with receipt, to a retailer. The item was bought 18months ago, and they say they've store policy at a maximum of 12 months. I've googled it, and from what I can see EU allows 2 years.

Can anyone confirm if EU law holds the Retailer to 24 Months for faulty items?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I had a similar experience with Littlewoods. Threatened Small Claims court and they coughed up. The SCC is actually easy to do online if you do need to proceed but I couldn't advise whether you'd be successful as not familiar with the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Irish law will protect you for up to 6 years. If it the electrical item has developed a fault it is up to the retailer/manufacturer to repair, replace or refund. The retailer/manufacturer get to chose what way they wish to proceed with this. If they are still not willing to help then you can bring a case against them using the small claims court.

What was the electrical item?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

No way, how is that .

Are you saying there is a 6 year warranty on electrical goods. Sure plenty of dishwashers, washing machines , kettles, etc won`t last that long

Where does wear and tear come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Drifter50 wrote: »
    No way, how is that .

Are you saying there is a 6 year warranty on electrical goods. Sure plenty of dishwashers, washing machines , kettles, etc won`t last that long

No, you have 6 years to make a claim, that does not mean there is a 6 year warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No way, how is that .

It depends on the item. 6 years is not beyond reason for dishwashers and washing machines by any means. A kettle is a different matter and no way comparable.

OP what is the item in question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

It depends on the item. 6 years is not beyond reason for dishwashers and washing machines by any means. A kettle is a different matter and no way comparable.

It was an inkjet printer. Low cost item. When I Googled it before I went in, it seemed clear that 24 months is the law. The manager in the shop told me to Google it, and see what the laws are. I said that I had already and all sources quote 2 years. I showed him the first link, and when he saw it he turned his back and walked away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

roper1664 wrote: »
    It was an inkjet printer. Low cost item. When I Googled it before I went in, it seemed clear that 24 months is the law. The manager in the shop told me to Google it, and see what the laws are. I said that I had already and all sources quote 2 years. I showed him the first link, and when he saw it he turned his back and walked away!

He was right, that directive was not enacted into Irish law as it was felt the SoGaSA gave better consumer protection. You can make a claim in the SCC but it will cost you and the Judge may take into account that it is a low cost item that you have had the use of for over a year. In other words, probably not worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭roper1664

Dav010 wrote: »
    He was right, that directive was not enacted into Irish law as it was felt the SoGaSA gave better consumer protection. You can make a claim in the SCC but it will cost you and the Judge may take into account that it is a low cost item that you have had the use of for over a year. In other words, probably not worth your while.

He was right to turn his back and walk away from a customer, who was being entirely polite and understanding, just because he couldn't stand that what he was saying was contradicted by the Google search he told me to do?

I'm fully open to something official contradicting or over-ruling the EU laws. And you have stated that you have provided that, so thank you, I'll read up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Goodness I am surprised if this is correct. Would throw a lot of businesses into turmoil if a punter could get a free replacement on something like a washing machine, TV, laptop, coffee machine etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Goodness I am surprised if this is correct. Would throw a lot of businesses into turmoil if a punter could get a free replacement on something like a washing machine, TV, laptop, coffee machine etc etc

It’s not a free replacement, it’s one of a repair, replacement or refund taking into consideration several factors including the age of the product, the expected lifespan and what caused the damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this not at least the second time you have feigned ignorance of this?

Advertisement