Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking with Eir

• 19-10-2019 11:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Just swapped wife's iphone to Virginmedia from Eir. They let the port go through, but are saying up to 10 days to get the unlock the phone. Mistake on my part, I guess, but currently she has no phone service.

Question is, does it normally take "up to 10 days" for Eir to unlock the phone? I thought I remembered doing it before and it was instantaneous?

Are there any cheap reputable online methods?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the corpo wrote: »
    Just swapped wife's iphone to Virginmedia from Eir. They let the port go through, but are saying up to 10 days to get the unlock the phone. Mistake on my part, I guess, but currently she has no phone service.

Question is, does it normally take "up to 10 days" for Eir to unlock the phone? I thought I remembered doing it before and it was instantaneous?

Are there any cheap reputable online methods?

Eir authorises the unlock through Apple. You then connect to iTunes.
    Will deffo take a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did you get a good deal, as everyone is moving to Gomo.

You have 14 days to change your mind.

€9.99 for unlimited everything and 80gb data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Bummer 8)
    Was in the dog house so had to pick up an Argos burner phone for the interim!

Must look up gomo, sounds impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

kceire wrote: »
    Eir authorises the unlock through Apple. You then connect to iTunes.
    Will deffo take a few days.

You don’t need iTunes for this anymore.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    You don’t need iTunes for this anymore.

Shows you the last time time I’ve had a locked iPhone.

How is it done now? Over the air?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Hi, rather than starting a new thread can i ask an iPhone related unlocking question here?!

I'm getting an iPhone 8 which was on eir and has been unlocked...but i got a big procedure to unlock it, connecting it to iTunes etc. That's fine but it says at the end that the phone will then be locked to the sim you have in it when you do the unlocking procedure...is this right?!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Hi, rather than starting a new thread can i ask an iPhone related unlocking question here?!

I'm getting an iPhone 8 which was on eir and has been unlocked...but i got a big procedure to unlock it, connecting it to iTunes etc. That's fine but it says at the end that the phone will then be locked to the sim you have in it when you do the unlocking procedure...is this right?!

The networks send this info out but I believe it doesn’t happen. Any phone I unlocked through the network’s never locked to the new network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Thanks! Yeah did some more searching here and see that people said the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Does an eir phone have to be unlocked to use a GOMo Chip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Newport81 wrote: »

Many have said no as it is the same company.

It will work on an eir phone.

Newport81 wrote: »

We don’t think so

Pacifico wrote: »

I know Eir keep saying this. They said it to me last month and they are incorrect.

Once it's unlocked than that's it, you can put any sim in and won't be locked to any network.

I don't know why Eir keep saying that that is the case. That' why I never speak to Network shop employees about stuff.

kceire wrote: »
    Shows you the last time time I’ve had a locked iPhone.

How is it done now? Over the air?

Can't remember exactly but I received an email from Apple with a link to unlock phone and then it was a simple process. I know I didn't use connect to iTunes as I never use it. Sure isn't iTunes not supported now?

I know they say up to 10 days, but we're up to 6 now and not a peep. Do they *usually* take this long?

Well, there you go. For the laugh I put the sim in and connected the phone to itunes, and it's been unlocked....No email from eir to say. Far from manners they were raised.

Grand job

the corpo wrote: »
    Well, there you go. For the laugh I put the sim in and connected the phone to itunes, and it's been unlocked....No email from eir to say. Far from manners they were raised.

Grand job

Told you :)

Glad your sorted.

Advertisement