Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schadenfreude

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

joeysoap wrote: »
    I think ‘. Number 1’ in the world might have something to do with it.

What on earth do you want them to do, change the way rugby rankings work to stop themselves becoming number 1 after the win against New Zealand?

On a wider note, the thing about this thread is, people's problems with rugby or "rugby people" says a hell of a lot more about themselves than it does about anyone else.

There'll always be losers around the place who spend more time complaining about other people's achievements than actually achieving anything themselves, the rugby thing just gives a really easy way to pick them out of a crowd. In general, no actual decent people have the time or energy to hate things they don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

What on earth do you want them to do, change the way rugby rankings work to stop themselves becoming number 1 after the win against New Zealand?

I don’t know how the rankings are measured (nor do I care). But after the 6 nations it would have taken a giant leap of imagination to rank Ireland as number 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

riddles wrote: »
    My granny was a hard worker but I wouldn’t have picked her for Ireland. I would question the existence of leadership in the group as a whole. The dogs in the street knew the game plan was unpicked to a large extent. Millions spent prepping a team and it arrives at a tournament more in hope that things will be alright on the night.

Needs to be squad assembled who are fit and team selection based on form.

So do you have a go at your granny if she wasn’t the best in the world at what she did? Or do you admire her for working hard?

There will be a systemic review. I’ll leave it to the IRFU. They know what they’re doing. They have to balance the annual domestic league, European championship, six nations, World Cup cycle and bring through new talent without a dip in performance.

It’s not a simple job and they’re generally doing very well but the last year has dragged down the average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Of course there will be a review of the systems and administration. What on earth makes you think there wouldn't be?

Because we don't tend to hear about it as much as we do in other sports
    One reason here isn't a desire to go for the team's jugular is because of the honesty of effort by everyone involved. I believe they all did their utmost for the last few years and they came up short in the end. That doesn't mean they made the best decisions in every case but it does mean they gave it their best and it just didn't work out.

I trust that they did their best and nobody is more disappointed than the lads themselves.

They are professionals, we expect more than honest effort when playing a team like Japan.
    A team with ambition of getting to a RWC SF controlling their own destiny does not lose to Japan.
    It was rugby's version of soccer's Lichtenstein in 1995, and I tell you the soccer team got a lot more flack for Lichtenstein in 1995 than these guys got in the last few weeks
    So do you have a go at your granny if she wasn’t the best in the world at what she did? Or do you admire her for working hard?

There will be a systemic review. I’ll leave it to the IRFU. They know what they’re doing. They have to balance the annual domestic league, European championship, six nations, World Cup cycle and bring through new talent without a dip in performance.

It’s not a simple job and they’re generally doing very well but the last year has dragged down the average.

As was in the case in 2015, in 2011, in 2007 etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

joeysoap wrote: »
    I don’t know how the rankings are measured (nor do I care). But after the 6 nations it would have taken a giant leap of imagination to rank Ireland as number 1.

There was no imagination involved or needed. Ireland were ranked number 1. Didn't mean they were actually the best team in the world, it was just a quirk in the maths that calculates it.

You can't really admit you haven't a clue how the rankings work and then give out about people who do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Because we don't tend to hear about it as much as we do in other sports

They are professionals, we expect more than honest effort when playing a team like Japan.
    A team with ambition of getting to a RWC SF controlling their own destiny does not lose to Japan.
    It was rugby's version of soccer's Lichtenstein in 1995, and I tell you the soccer team got a lot more flack for Lichtenstein in 1995 than these guys got in the last few weeks

As was in the case in 2015, in 2011, in 2007 etc etc

We don’t tend to hear about rugby in-house workings because they’re better at keeping it in-house.

What’s the point of getting cross with them? They’re doing their best they just didn’t pick the best approach. The fact is they did their best and me or you getting cross at them isn’t helpful. If it were helpful, the Irish football team would have all the help they need to be world champions by now.

It’s just sport, it’s not real life. I follow Ireland and my province teams when they win and lose. They’re doing their best so there’s no point me getting bent out of shape. Some people seem to be saying that other sports get more abuse so we should berate the rugby team too. Well, I have no interest in berating them and it would be a bit stupid for me to think o know better than the professional players, staff and administrators. Especially when you consider the success Irish rugby is having in general at provincial and international levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Because most Rugby fans call soccer fans scum-bags. So they deserve to be wund up to the hilt. And it's great craíc looking at them over compensating and hiding how annoyed and upset they are 'not'. ;)
    they dont though. Saying most do is total hyperbole.
    whiskeyman wrote: »
    It's down to bandwagoners in my opinion.

These people love 'supporting' the team when they're doing well, and love the enjoying of slagging them off during a bad result / form.

I doubt real rugby fans take enjoyment of their team losing.. just like any sport.

FYI, I'm not a rugby fan but just enjoy watching Ireland's games. I'm not going to revel in their loss though because I know what it means because I'm a sports fan firstly.
    Irish people have it in their head about bandwagon and dismiss all but a few die hard fans who go to everything as doe hardship and it's ridiculous.
    It’s because we all know the private schools and the rugby mentality and the type of status rugby players have in Ireland(Dublin) That’s it for me, I know so many good looking girls that have been with some of the rugby lads(some of them are so far punching it’s insane) and that taps into the jealousy. Because they’re more local than football players for instance it just compounds it.

It’s stupid but I think you’ll get that type of person appearing on message boards.

Also how aligned it seems with corporate Ireland and the status quo doesn’t help it’s case. Think of ROC Kelly’s old man, that sort, seeing their status knocked back and having to eat humble pie as their beloved Ireland get beaten by a new rugby country such as Japan or absolutely tonked by a country where rugby is more rough and less elitist, feels good.
    I dont see how a professional sport athlete doing their job and trying in with sponsors is a reason to be critical of the sport especially if the critics follow soccer and any other sport where this is also done.
    piplip87 wrote: »
    I think it's down to the traditional class of the average rugby fan compared to the rest.

Rugby has been seen as a sport for the upper class and membership fees for young lads who wanted to play rugby reflected this. Plenty of rugby fans out there like myself who would have loved to play as young fella but the membership fees at the time where designed to keep the game in the upper class.

So when Ireland don't do well some people see the opportunity to have a dig against the upper class.
    Except the typical rugby fan isnt really upper class. In south Dublin with the fee paying schools maybe but rest of country it simply isnt true.
    Do you have proof by and large of membership fees reflecting what you say. As from my experience involved in clubs and as a coach 2letc membership genrallynisnt significantly more than other sports
    SJW Lover wrote: »
    Because its a minority sport in World terms but presented to us like its a world cup in soccer. There are 10 countries seriously competing (if that) and we have never go beyond the quarter finals. Yet it is presented like it is something profound. Documentaries made when we win friendly matches and then we get tonked when it matters.
    what sports are not minority sports in the world? It's one of the biggest world sport events after soccer world cup in some measures. You cant compare it to the soccer world cup as you cant compare any sports event to that bar the summer Olympics!
    People involved in the sport, players, fans and coaches etc treat test matches
    I don't think it helps when you get people on RTE referring to it as 'The People's Game'. I think that kind of unfounded, self-aggrandising rubbish can contribute towards resentment.
    it was one occasion one rugby magazine programme and yes it was ott but the popularity of sport has increased extensively in past 2 decades and with that playing numbers, media interest. This has been most successful period ever in Irish rugby so of course coverage of the sport will be high. Yes some will be ott but that's same with coverage of anything here
    washman3 wrote: »
    The game yesterday was a Test Match, ie a do or die contest that both teams wanted to win. Unfortunately one team were literally streets ahead of the other and won comfortably.
    The game last November had little or nothing at stake but a game that the home team took seriousley while their opponents were on a virtual holiday at the end of a tough championship. It's also their fundraising ploy and appeases their sponsors. That is what we call a Friendly.
    Do you get it now..??
    you dont seem to grasp differences between sports. Rugby ultimate challenge is the test match. Internationals were being played 100 years before a world cup started and they were only challenges to play sides beyond your nearest neighbours. New Zealand etc used to come on two months and longer tours play 30 or so games with the toughest games, ultimate tests of tour based on tests against the international sides....
    Its possibly because rugby is shoved down our throats, endlessly hyped, and people can see that they are a middle of the road team, but the media think they are gods. The Guinness ad, not men but giants, what a pile of rubbish.
    it isnt shoved down anyones throats. Its promoted because the players are involved in one of the main team sports in country. Soccer players are nearly all based abroad and while do promo work aren't really able donsamenas not in Ireland. I dont get why so many get upset about marketing of people in a sport they dont like. Just ignore it. Like I do with soccer and virtually anything to do with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Because most Rugby fans call soccer fans scum-bags. So they deserve to be wund up to the hilt. And it's great craíc looking at them over compensating and hiding how annoyed and upset they are 'not'. ;)

I love most sports - rugby, soccer, GAA, boxing, UFC - and I would not say most rugby fans call soccer fans scum-bags - sure, a few probably do , but thers gob****es in any large following - not getting the hatred for the rugby team, and any of them I have met have been grand , and ther is huge admiration for them in other sports bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I think most sport fans can separate the rugby players and their efforts from the Hype merchants/marketeers that ram their greatness down out throats. This is a hardworking but limited group of individuals, picked from a small playing pool in a county where (in spite of the Hype) Rugby is minority activity. You can't fault the likes of Best and O'Mahony who have carved out long careers for themselves, and fair play to them.

Why sticks on the craw is the Hype merchants, former players and pundits on the hard sell, who oversell and exaggerate the achievements of the players, and their talents. For instance, I'm pretty sure I heard Jamie Heaslip say yesterday morning that he wouldn't pick any of the NZ players ahead of any Irish player. I mean, if this isn't a downright lie, this guy should be in an institution. Typical of the BS that surrounds commentary on the Irish rugby team, and if anybody calls out the bullsh1t, they are called a begrudger.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No point in this thread in the rugby forum, nothing good nor interesting will come of it. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement