Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing of Apps in Apple App Store.

Options
  • 19-10-2019 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

Am I imagining things, or used apps that were not free have their price indicated under the Download/Install button and don’t now?

If I’m right, how can I find out the cost of an app?

When I click on Install for some apps it simply goes to In App Purchases, and the download button appears. But, I can’t see a price.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Prices are displayed before you click anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

kceire wrote: »
    Prices are displayed before you click anything.

Must be a setting on my iPhone.

Where you’re seeing a price - within the button - I’m seeing the word GET.

“In-App Purchases” is written underneath it, in tiny writing, just like in your link.

I’m not seeing a price.

Thanks.

D.

This is an example of what I’m seeing...how do I find out the cost of the app?

Thanks.

D.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Dinarius wrote: »

Thanks.

D.

That app is free to download. It doesn’t have a price. You have the option of buying in-app purchases, inside the app itself.

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »
    That app is free to download. It doesn’t have a price. You have the option of buying in-app purchases, inside the app itself.

Thanks.

That explains a lot.

If you scroll down the link above to a drop-down menu called In-App Purchases, you can see the cost of the various versions of this app.

A quick Google reveals that, apparently, forcing you to download first and purchase later improves the makers download stats with the App Store ratings.

But, I’m not seeing things. Many apps have the word GET, where many others have a price. More upfront, in my view. Enlight Photofox is most certainly not free; far from it.

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

'Get' are free apps. If it says 'In app purchases' it means that you can pay something within the app to remove ads for example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dinarius wrote: »

Thanks.

D.

That means the app is free

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

These apps used to be "free" but Apple was forced to change them to "get" to avoid being sued.

I think Apple would have preferred most apps be one-off purchases instead of this "in-app purchase" crap, but Google et al have conditioned people that it's normal to pay for digital stuff with your personal data instead of money.

Advertisement