Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Apparently Regina's "distinctive boots" are in view, according to one of the news reports./

Maybe they're Leo's socks? They're quite distinctive too at times I hear.
    Keep going through the footage though Johnny, sooner or later you will find what you are looking for.

I'm not going through any footage at all, just noticed the story is headlines in the Indo now as well as the examiner.

I said from the beginning that I would be extremely shocked if this isn't rampant across all of the party's, and why politicians should watch their chosen of language with describing their political opponents, because my guess is this will have quite a few of them worried at the minute.

Between this and Brexit, I think I'll need plenty of popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Proximity voting should be banned immediately - I think it's the height of laziness not to get to your seat in a small chamber and push a button to vote (a very privileged vote) no matter whether you're getting facetime with some minister, gossiping with others or gabbing on the phone which begs the question why are phones allowed in our Dail chamber?

Voting for someone else while they are outside the chamber is, as has been said, illegal under the constitution.

There has been damage caused - it reinforces the impression of a cosy club, it's sloppy and disrespectful to the privilege they have and most importantly it puts in doubt any legislation passed previously, especially close votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Proximity voting should be banned immediately - I think it's the height of laziness not to get to your seat in a small chamber and push a button to vote (a very privileged vote) no matter whether you're getting facetime with some minister, gossiping with others or gabbing on the phone which begs the question why are phones allowed in our Dail chamber?

Voting for someone else while they are outside the chamber is, as has been said, illegal under the constitution.

There has been damage caused - it reinforces the impression of a cosy club, it's sloppy and disrespectful to the privilege they have and most importantly it puts in doubt any legislation passed previously, especially close votes.

A small chamber? Have you been in it?

I certainly have, as a civil servant, wouldn't call it small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A small chamber? Have you been in it?

I certainly have, as a civil servant, wouldn't call it small.

it's not the Phoenix Park!
    Plus it's going on in the Seanad which is like a large dining room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Sir Oxman wrote: »

Agreed, what has been described is sloppy, disrespectful and lazy carry on. Hopefully voters will be taking note and have a few questions when above come calling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not surprisingly, FF have now reported FG ministers for alleged voting irregularities to the Dail's ethics committee.

I think what I thought yesterday was right. This started off as an attempt by someone to sling mud following what was supposed to be a done deal on Brexit late last week and with talk of early elections, but it's backfired somewhat spectacularly with members outside FF being implicated as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not surprisingly, FF have now reported FG ministers for alleged voting irregularities to the Dail's ethics committee.

I think what I thought yesterday was right. This started off as an attempt by someone to sling mud following what was supposed to be a done deal on Brexit late last week and with talk of early elections, but it's backfired somewhat spectacularly with members outside FF being implicated as well.

So that's who's been scouring the footage for the last year, checking votes against attendance. I hope that FF have their information correct, because if they don't, it will really look bad for them.

The case against Dooley and Collins looks cut and dried, Chambers has admitted her sins as well, if they can't make the FG ones stick...........

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Chambers lied about it when asked.

She's not without fault.

But she had a case of the Brian lenihan Sr's and mature reflected on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I just walked past Leinster House and could hear the bell from the bottom of Merrion street. It's bloody loud!

So that's who's been scouring the footage for the last year, checking votes against attendance. I hope that FF have their information correct, because if they don't, it will really look bad for them.

The case against Dooley and Collins looks cut and dried, Chambers has admitted her sins as well, if they can't make the FG ones stick...........

Well Noel rock better be tighter then a ducks arse on his voting record because he went all high and mighty when on Claire Byrne live last night. If Some journalist happens to find that the voting record and the video don't match up on deputy Rock then he'll get a land that he'll need an airbag to stop himself from injury.

• Advertisement

I just walked past Leinster House and could hear the bell from the bottom of Merrion street. It's bloody loud!

I've never heard them but from people I know who have heard them they did say they were loud but they must be deafening if you could here from outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This thing seems to be getting ridiculous. World doomed, Britain ending and we have a bunch of people who are very sloppy with voting buttons. Some changes in voting procedures or legislation needed to put an end to an increasingly dumb story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This is cross party. They are all at it. We really are the most apathetic nation.

So now FF have reported 5 X junior and senior minister's from FG for voting irregularities too.

Lol, talk about irony, has no one ever told them of the stones in glass houses Proverb?

What a bunch of complete and utter bell ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have heard a few from FG making the point they were in the chamber for votes.
    I may be incorrect, but my understanding is that there is designated seating when it comes to evoting.

If that is correct then I cannot see where the difference is if someone else presses your button whether you are inside or outside the chamber.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭Danthemanhere

blueshirts and ff at it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So now FF have reported 5 X junior and senior minister's from FG for voting irregularities too.

Lol, talk about irony, has no one ever told them of the stones in glass houses Proverb?

I think is a perfectly sensible move on their part, if there's any truth in the allegations against FG. If the public can be sold the narrative that this is a piece of minor malpractice that most/all parties engaged in, then it won't do FF serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

While serious it's also kind of hilarious. They are literally the same party, the fcuking hate each other yet somehow we still haven't had a general election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

MadYaker wrote: »
    While serious it's also kind of hilarious. They are literally the same party, the fcuking hate each other yet somehow we still haven't had a general election

That's the thing they don't hate each other. It's just a game to them, the public are the mugs. I have seen FG and FF TDs together down through the years. Banter yes hatred no. Now for people in the same party who may challenge the seat they occupy different story. Look at Bailey and who tabled the no confidence motion in her, it wasn't someone from a different party.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭square ball

Personally I think they have committed fraud. They should be forced to resign and surrender their seats. In any vote in any group or organisation I have ever been involved in I have never seen someone being able to vote for someone else.

If I get caught voting at an election for someone else what are the possible penalties? Can I go to an election booth with someone else's voting card and vote how they told me to vote?

Regardless of the laws it is highly unprofessional and shows the lack of respect that they have for the citizens of the country. Voting on policy and legislation is one of the fundamental aspects to their job and they can't even do that properly it shows how truly incompetent the people involved are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As we've seen from some commentators it being FF and FG it'll be allowed cancel itself out and put down and a little bit of the Darby O'Gill arra sure gawan outta dat. Such is our system. Chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ukraine’s parliament

bp.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

biko wrote: »
    Ukraine’s parliament

bp.jpg

Others do it, so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Personally I think they have committed fraud. They should be forced to resign and surrender their seats. In any vote in any group or organisation I have ever been involved in I have never seen someone being able to vote for someone else.

If I get caught voting at an election for someone else what are the possible penalties? Can I go to an election booth with someone else's voting card and vote how they told me to vote?

Regardless of the laws it is highly unprofessional and shows the lack of respect that they have for the citizens of the country. Voting on policy and legislation is one of the fundamental aspects to their job and they can't even do that properly it shows how truly incompetent the people involved are.

Competent is not something generally associated with our politicians.

I`m not sure on this, but on going into the polling booth to vote for someone else.

I seem to recall that once upon a time, if perhaps not now, if someone was illiterate then they could bring in someone to mark the ballot for them.

Also back in the day to show their allegiance didn`t some voters just shout out their choice and have someone else mark the ballot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Honestly who gives a sh1te. Really like.

The whip system makes this pretty much irrelevant anyway.

The main parties have agreement with each other that if someone is absent the other party will have one vote less. The TD numbers are about forming a government who make decisions. The TDs are just bums on seats when it comes to voting.

I think is a perfectly sensible move on their part, if there's any truth in the allegations against FG. If the public can be sold the narrative that this is a piece of minor malpractice that most/all parties engaged in, then it won't do FF serious damage.

Sorry to be clear, I was referring to whomever it was that initiated the great furore against FF as the bellends for not having the wit and gumption to ensure their own house was in order before making a scene with the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

irishgeo wrote: »
    The voting panel is numbered not the seat.
    Chambers also claimed during the interview that the Dáil is like the theatre and the seats are "not numbered". That's not accurate because the voting panels do actually have numbers on them. The voting pad she has used during every voting session since February 2016 is marked A-17.
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/kevin-doyle-little-white-lies-reveal-truth-tds-find-voting-a-waste-of-time-38618835.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

are FF suggesting ministers weren't in the chamber when their buttons were pushed based on incomplete video that doesn't cover whole chamber or just not in their seats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Honestly who gives a sh1te. Really like.

The whip system makes this pretty much irrelevant anyway.

The main parties have agreement with each other that if someone is absent the other party will have one vote less. The TD numbers are about forming a government who make decisions. The TDs are just bums on seats when it comes to voting.

Sure why have debates at all so? Just let the biggest voting block have their way with no vote at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

salmocab wrote: »
    Sure why have debates at all so? Just let the biggest voting block have their way with no vote at all.

Your talking to a troll.

Advertisement