Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

based on incomplete video that doesn't cover whole chamber

I don`t see what difference it makes.

Even if someone is in the chamber nobody else should be voting for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Honestly who gives a sh1te. Really like.

The whip system makes this pretty much irrelevant anyway.

The main parties have agreement with each other that if someone is absent the other party will have one vote less. The TD numbers are about forming a government who make decisions. The TDs are just bums on seats when it comes to voting.

I'm of the the opinion Paddy if FG weren't implicated you would have a different take on the whole affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

based on incomplete video that doesn't cover whole chamber

What's the rules on voting on behalf of someone else, regardless of they're in the chamber or not?

Don't think this was ever clarified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

What's the rules on voting on behalf of someone else, regardless of they're in the chamber or not?

Don't think this was ever clarified.
    sorry i thought you were saying they weren't in the chamber, (is that what FF are suggesting?) you didn't go that far, yes all tds should vote personally

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

charlie14 wrote: »
    I don`t see what difference it makes.

Even if someone is in the chamber nobody else should be voting for them.
    I thought he was saying they weren't in the chamber (is that what FF are suggesting?), he didn't go that far, yes all tds should vote personally

• Advertisement

I thought he was saying they weren't in the chamber (is that what FF are suggesting?), you didn't go that far, yes all tds should vote personally

I don`t know what FF are suggesting other than it appears that the person in question did not press the button themselves to vote.
    If that is the case then I don`t see much difference between being inside or outside the chamber.
    Two wrongs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the investigation is due to be published on Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

SF now caught out.

Leo caught up in it now too.

Prob easier asking the shower of chancers who hasn't been at it at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Leo caught up in it now too.

Prob easier asking the shower of chancers who hasn't been at it at this stage.

Excellent was only a matter of time!!

Link?

• Advertisement

lola85 wrote: »
    Excellent was only a matter of time!!

Link?

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Mr Martin both admit to casting Dail votes for colleagues
    Both Taoiseach Leo Varadkar and Mr Martin leader have now also admitted to casting Dáil votes for colleagues, but both insisted their colleagues were in the chamber at the time.
    Cheeks, arse.

I wonder what Noel Rock thinks of this development?

irishgeo wrote: »
    the investigation is due to be published on Thursday.

They are all implicated at this stage.

All this investigation will result in is a serious arse kicking for whoever squealed to the papers.

They are all implicated at this stage.

All this investigation will result in is a serious arse kicking for whoever squealed to the papers.

Obviously someone wanted to stick the boot into FF looks like the boot was spread around fairly evenly despite the initial intention.

I wonder what Noel Rock thinks of this development?

Lol, will be interesting to hear alright, but one thing is for sure - none of them can claim to have the higher ground than the other now, no matter about brexit being done nor undone.

I suppose neither of the two big revolving door party's will have a preference for an immediate election now.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

Obviously someone wanted to stick the boot into FF looks like the boot was spread around fairly evenly despite the initial intention.

Yeah, seems pretty obvious now.

Whoever came up with the idea must be red-faced at this stage.
    With the prominence the Indo gave this at the outset, imagine there should be a few red-faces around there as well for assisting the boot without due research.
    Fionnan Sheahan, is editor there now isn`t he ?

Yeah, seems pretty obvious now.

Whoever came up with the idea must be red-faced at this stage.
    With the prominence the Indo gave this at the outset, imagine there should be a few red-faces around there as well for assisting the boot without due research.
    Fionnan Sheahan, is editor there now isn`t he ?
    He is I believe.
    Never thought I would say this but the Indo seems to be showing a level of equality here. A free pass is not being giving to any party.
    The behaviour of Dooley and Collins was enough to begin with then the story got legs some with boots on them. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m not really following this story in great detail as I’m in Chile at the moment taking a bit of time out. Looks like FF have successfully muddied the waters though by somehow suggesting that having a colleague vote for you while in the chamber is almost as bad as having someone voting for you when you aren’t even in the place.

Not the same at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭mattser

I’m not really following this story in great detail as I’m in Chile at the moment taking a bit of time out. Looks like FF have successfully muddied the waters though by somehow suggesting that having a colleague vote for you while in the chamber is almost as bad as having someone voting for you when you aren’t even in the place.

Not the same at all.

Hairy times over there too Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

mattser wrote: »
    Hairy times over there too Johnny

It is indeed, Mattser. Got a mouthful of tear gas the other night after leaving the pub after a heap of glasses of very strong porter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Varadkar and Martin at it but apparently it's ok as, according to Leo, "there is a world of difference between someone being present in the Chamber, although not in one's seat, and not being present in the Chamber or the building at all"

This "being in the chamber" bo****ks is further taking the piss out of the public.

We know they're not in the chamber and they know that we cannot fully verify if they are. Also even if it a TD is in the chamber under no circumstances is it excusable that another TD can vote twice. Can I vote three times if I bring my elderly parents to the polling station and say afterwards "It's ok . . . they were in the polling station"?

Politicians in Ireland are the most feckless and lazy among anywhere in the world. A parliament where they don't properly propose, debate, amend of retract legislation. A parliament where they don't even bother their arses to turn up and where the leader of the opposition and prime minister are going around pressing buttons with others.

It's an absolute disgrace.

You know what - it's all laugh to them though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Not the same at all.
    It is indeed, Mattser. Got a mouthful of tear gas the other night after leaving the pub after a heap of glasses of very strong porter.

Flash, I go to Chile every year for work. Did you notice there is a state of emergency in Chile at the moment with 8pm curfews and the army on the streets? Murders, riots, looting, arson, supermarket queues etc? ;)
    How can that be taking time out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How hard is it for them to just follow the fcuking rules? I know the government vote as a bloc so this isn’t changing votes but the fact that they ignore the rules like this shows a lack of respect for the importance of the job they’re doing. In my workplace I can’t ignore the rules as I see fit and if I did I’d be reprimanded.

MadYaker wrote: »
    How hard is it for them to just follow the fcuking rules? I know the government vote as a bloc so this isn’t changing votes but the fact that they ignore the rules like this shows a lack of respect for the importance of the job they’re doing. In my workplace I can’t ignore the rules as I see fit and if I did I’d be reprimanded.

Rules are only for the plebs, don't you know.

Not the same at all.

I know your probably busy llama herding or what have you, so we'll overlook the fact you're not entirely au fait here, but they are suggesting that the ministers have been AWOL during voting too.
    The Fianna F complaint by the party’s chief whip Michael Moynihan was the result of the party reviewing more than a year of Dail footage to establish whether Fine Gael TDs were absent from the chamber when their votes were recorded.

The votes involve Housing Minister Eoghan Murphy, Social Protection Minister Regina Doherty, Rural Affairs Minister Michael Ring, and Ministers of State Jim Daly and Damien English. All denied voting improperly.
    link

John Downing sums it up here:
    Net result is, the hunt will continue to find instances where Fine Gael luminaries might have voted for absent colleagues. And Fine Gael better hope it is squeaky clean here.
    link

M.Martin supposedly had a vote recorded for him whilst absent.

Lol, some one kicked the hornets nest here, this is most likely going to smoke a good few of them out.

Popcorn time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Bunch of fat kids covered in chocolate pointing the fingers of blame at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Surely before a vote is taken there should be an announcement to say the vote is going to take place in 5 minutes can all TD's take their assigned seats for the vote.

This is just the disrespect or the contempt that TD's have for the Dáil. You can see it in their behaviour in there and it comes from the top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

SF now caught out.

That won’t go down too well in here, L.

Any link to the details?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

SF now caught out.

Don't their Euro reps have form for being invisible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

That won’t go down too well in here, L.

Any link to the details?

All parties are at it, if anyone thinks that its only one party then I think you are either naive or you have blinkers on. Would anyone be surprised that FG do it, LAB do it or SF do it?

Advertisement