Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Popcorn time.
    Realistically, probably not. The whole lot of them could be recorded stabbing Julius Caesar to death on the floor of the Dáil, and the most that would happen is a watery statement that a committee will look into firming up regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

tjhook wrote: »
    Realistically, probably not. The whole lot of them could be recorded stabbing Julius Caesar to death on the floor of the D, and the most that would happen is a watery statement that a committee will look into firming up regulations.

Oh I've no doubt that sweet fcuk all repercussions will happen those abusing the voting system, don't worry about that.

My popcorn reference is aimed at those who have been screaming fraud etc having to quickly pull in the horns again when colleagues from their own party's are exposed doing the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Floppybits wrote: »
    All parties are at it, if anyone thinks that its only one party then I think you are either naive or you have blinkers on. Would anyone be surprised that FG do it, LAB do it or SF do it?

Varadkar/Martin have admitted to voting on behalf of colleagues, of course though we are told the colleagues were in the chamber just out of camera shot. ;-)
    No reason to believe the rest of the parties in the Dail are pure as snow or this would have come to light years ago. It seems to be accepted practice or contempt for the electorate and our democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

He is I believe.
    Never thought I would say this but the Indo seems to be showing a level of equality here. A free pass is not being giving to any party.
    The behaviour of Dooley and Collins was enough to begin with then the story got legs some with boots on them. ;-)

Thought myself that the Indo sensationalised it initially in relation to one party when a bit of research would have shown they were practically all at it. With Sheahan being married to Averil Power the thought crossed my mind that there was the possibility of an axe being ground.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Thought myself that the Indo sensationalised it initially in relation to one party when a bit of research would have shown they were practically all at it. With Sheahan being married to Averil Power the thought crossed my mind that there was the possibility of an axe being ground.

The two lads were fairly blatant tbh, attention now has shifted to the rest of the clowns with 5 FG ministers getting reported. Loads of them being sucked in now.

• Advertisement

The two lads were fairly blatant tbh, attention now has shifted to the rest of the clowns with 5 FG ministers getting reported. Loads of them being sucked in now.

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Otherwise, keep the head down and shut the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

It seems Gerry Adams 'inadvertently' voted on Peader Toibin's behalf in a vote on abortion.

That's right. The SF former party leader accidentally recorded Toibin as being pro-abortion in the Dail record.

He won't like that.

Popcorn indeed.

Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Otherwise, keep the head down and shut the fcuk up.

It would be ironic if Noel Rock was found to have cast votes on behalf of party colleagues.
    As for Politicains shutting the FU, not possible if they can see a point to score even if there is backfire potential .

I wonder what recourse deputies have to correcting the Dail record. Or is a vote set in stone for all of history?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It seems Gerry Adams 'inadvertently' voted on Peader Toibin's behalf in a vote on abortion.

That's right. The SF party leader accidentally recorded Toibin as being pro-abortion in the Dail record.

He won't like that.

Popcorn indeed.

Gerry is used to making decisions on behalf of others - sending his nonce brother over the border, disappearing Jean McConville and so forth. Voting for Peadar would be easy for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

The two boyos were an easy catch and initially I thought, especially with the high dudgeon from Noel Rock, that FG were behind it. Now with them being shown as having been up to the same, I`m not that sure it was them grinding an axe.

Pretty dumb move if it was as the general feeling from the electorate appears to be a pox on all your houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I know there is a slight difference between the Lisa chambers and Timmy Dooley and Niall Collins incidents but I don't understand how Michael Martin has not asked Lisa chambers to step down like he did the two lads.

Cos if he was being consistent he'd have to ask himself to step down too:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Seeing as they're all at it, cast them all out and dont allow them to run again. We've enough scandals and issues in this country as it is without our elected officials being so incompetent that they are unable to cast votes or bother their arses to be there in the first place.

Wont happen of course but I do so wish there were actual repercussions for this carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As they all seem to be at it, nothing will happen. They'll shrug it off. Embarrassments to the country. Likely Fine Gael will let the two FF lads slide to hide their own blushes. Dirt the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's right. The SF former party leader accidentally recorded Toibin as being pro-abortion in the Dail record.

He won't like that.

Popcorn indeed.

The thread will quieten down now.

The horns will be pulled in fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If brexit gets done there'll be an election announced pretty soon after I reckon.

blanch152 wrote: »

It already has...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LOL:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Do you really think that people are annoyed about this based on the political party they support? People are annoyed because politicians are supposed to be serving the country not acting like it’s some social club where the things done are largely inconsequential.
    There are a few people here who seem to support party’s regardless of what they do and it’s that sort of moronic forgiveness of things so long as it’s our guy that has us living in a world where Donald Trump is American president. It’s not sport supporting a political party regardless of their carry on is stupid beyond belief.

MadYaker wrote: »
    If brexit gets done there'll be an election announced pretty soon after I reckon.

Doubtful as this episode shows most of what occupies the Dail have contempt for the democratic process and the voting system. All the major parties look like gob****es . Whoever ran to Indo showed up our politicians for the arrogant numpties they are. Noone comes out of this looking good.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Do you really think that people are annoyed about this based on the political party they support? People are annoyed because politicians are supposed to be serving the country not acting like it’s some social club where the things done are largely inconsequential.
    There are a few people here who seem to support party’s regardless of what they do and it’s that sort of moronic forgiveness of things so long as it’s our guy that has us living in a world where Donald Trump is American president. It’s not sport supporting a political party regardless of their carry on is stupid beyond belief.

Some folk are only interested in the game of point scoring. It's pretty sad actually. When FG got their first mention there was accusations of covering for FF. Now SF got a mention we all seemingly want to dodge the topic. Load of arse. The irony being the same chancers won't discuss it because their team is up to their necks as usual. Zero criticism and excuses about proximity :)
    Like the swinger TD and expenses, no new news to discuss.

Doubtful as this episode shows most of what occupies the Dail have contempt for the democratic process and the voting system. All the major parties look like gob****es . Whoever ran to Indo showed up our politicians for the arrogant numpties they are. Noone comes out of this looking good.

Even through the height of this story, the Indo are getting digs in about Maria Bailey.

From today's article about "Votegate" here they are on about the "Swing Gate" one.
    He argued that party leader MicheMartin took swift action to suspend Timmy Dooley and Niall Collins from the front bench in contrast to Fine Gael "faffing around" about the Maria Bailey personal injury claim saga.

In the midst of this latest sh1tshow, she's still overriding the bigger picture.

They say politics is tribal.

Boards is on a whole other level.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They say politics is tribal.

Boards is on a whole other level.

It's unbelievable.

People were all for the guillotine and then disappeared when the bould Gerry was implicated. Then again, he probably couldn't remember which seat was his.

It's unbelievable.

People were all for the guillotine and then disappeared when the bould Gerry was implicated. Then again, he probably couldn't remember which seat was his.

Blanch, rewriting history since forever.......

People in here went quiet since members of their own team (not yours though, you're a green) got accused of doing what they accused FF of doing.

Now, in true Blanch fashion, everyone's a shinner now if they're not rooting for either Tweedle Dumb or Dee, and "they've gone quiet now because Adams was named as pressing a button too".

You're unreal, you truly are. :pac:

/Off to watch the match.

It's unbelievable.

Talking ****e Blanch. I didn't think you thought it was a big deal but seemingly the further away from the button you are the bigger the deal.
    If you can point to anyone defending any TD engaged in this, besides yourself of course, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It's unbelievable.

Ridiculous comment, it’s probably every poxy party and alliance in the place. People are annoyed with politicians and their carry on. Making this party political is a pathetic attempt to brush it under the carpet. In the grand scheme nothing will happen to individuals but hopefully the rules will be tightened so that only the appropriate person can push the button they are paid to push. Off on a phone call or chatting doesn’t wash with a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

He won't like that.

Popcorn indeed.
    a note was added soon after but not soon enough to change the vote :/ (Toibin was amazingly absent for that vote) https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-03-21/18/?highlight%5B0%5D=inadvertently&highlight%5B1%5D=voted
    search for "inadvertently voted" in the dail record gets 7 results (searching back to 2004 ) https://www.kildarestreet.com/search/?s=%22inadvertently+voted%22

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It's unbelievable.

That's very naive Blanch. I think SF, FF, Labour and FG are wall-to-wall gob****es now. I took off my FG blinkers a few years ago after nearly 20 years of loyalty. I feel betrayed by them if I am honest. Do you see the real problem though? Our political system is completely dysfunctional. Your blind loyalty only makes things worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a 5th by-election in Clare? why hasn't Timmy Dooley resigned seeing he has already admitted to what he accused of doing.

Advertisement