Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

a 5th by-election in Clare? why hasn't Timmy Dooley resigned seeing he has already admitted to what he accused of doing

considering he broke this article in constitution i would be resigning.
    11 1° All questions in each House shall, save as otherwise provided by this Constitution, be determined by a majority of the votes of the members present and voting other than the Chairman or presiding member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

irishgeo wrote: »
    considering he broke this article in constitution i would be resigning.

Irish politicians don't resign no matter what they do wrong. Fraud is ok, improper voting is ok, corruption is ok, links to terrorists is ok, bribery is ok. Telling lies is definitely ok, according to Pat Rabbitte. Don't think I left anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Irish politicians don't resign no matter what they do wrong. Fraud is ok, improper voting is ok, corruption is ok, links to terrorists is ok, bribery is ok. Telling lies is definitely ok, according to Pat Rabbitte. Don't think I left anything out.

Being named in Stubbs Gazette as a debt defaulter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Being named in Stubbs Gazette as a debt defaulter.

im pretty sure thats a automatic resignation

irishgeo wrote: »
    im pretty sure thats a automatic resignation

Pretty sure J Reilly was named in Stubbs, he didn't resign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Back to the matter at hand. The Ceann Comhairle's report is due to be published today along with a Dail debate on the matter.

Predictions?

I can't see anything more than a slap on the wrist being dealt out. There doesn't seem to be any obvious sanctions available to the Ceann.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

All the main parties being involved means there’s unlikely to be serious consequences. They’ll just want to move on and forget this ever happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

blanch152 wrote: »
    It's unbelievable.

People were all for the guillotine and then disappeared when the bould Gerry was implicated. Then again, he probably couldn't remember which seat was his.

I'm non-party so extrapolating like that isn't a good look.
    Maybe the party apparatchiks should be looking at themselves on here for sure...

Everyone/ every party involved is at fault and no, the 'lesser wrong' of proximity voting still isn't right no matter how 'huge' the Dail chamber is supposed to be (hint - it's not and what if it was?)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Timmy is often on the likes of The Tonight Show, calling out the Govt on various issues.
    Will be hard to take him seriously now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A former Dail clerk and academic's view of it with a new word - seriatim(for me).

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/votegate-represents-carelessness-and-nothing-more-1.4060562

• Advertisement

Back to the matter at hand. The Ceann Comhairle's report is due to be published today along with a Dail debate on the matter.

Predictions?

I can't see anything more than a slap on the wrist being dealt out. There doesn't seem to be any obvious sanctions available to the Ceann.

Too many implicated across all of the party's, with the result on neither being able to claim the upper hand.

Nothing more than a vow to look at things and protocol to be more vigorously enforced going forward, with perhaps a small bit of window dressing for optics.

Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee.

Joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Irish politics is utterly filthy. "Falling on ones sword" is a totally foreign concept. No honour amongst thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Too many implicated across all of the party's, with the result on neither being able to claim the upper hand.

Nothing more than a vow to look at things and protocol to be more vigorously enforced going forward, with perhaps a small bit of window dressing for optics.

Tweedle Dumb and Tweedle Dee.

Joke shop.

It is clear that the obfuscation of the line between two different offences is working.

Being present is the first requirement. Those who were absent from the Dail when their vote was recorded have the greatest amount of explaining to do, equally those who voted for them have to explain. This is a serious breach of the Constitution. If any of the five Ministers' diaries show they were elsewhere when votes were taken, they have particularly serious questions to answer. Dooley, Collins and Chambers have already admitted to malpractice. A suspension from the Dail for a short period would be an appropriate penalty.

The lesser offence of being present but getting someone else to press the button while you continued your phone call/conversation in the chamber is more reflective of carelessness as mentioned in the Irish Times article by the former clerk of the Dail.

Shane Ross off the hook it seems. He voted against his own drink drive legislation from his own seat but voted for it in Catherine Zappones seat. Strange one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I was in the viewing gallery above the chamber yesterday.

Two things stood out to me.

The chamber itself is tiny. It looks a hell of a lot bigger on television. During debates there were a lot of people coming and going. Not just TDs but also civil servants, ushers and clerks. There were side conversations going on all over the place. And the Ceann and clerk seemed distracted by TD's having a quiet word with them. The whole thing resembled an ant's nest. A lot of disorganised movement and shuffling. It didn't look easy to return to a seat a few rows up, without having to move people out of your way in the aisles, then asking people to stand so that you can shuffle over to your seat.
    This was during a relatively minor debate. I can only imagine the flurry of activity during a vote when all are present.

Second observation. The division lobbies are directly behind the back row seats. I don't know why but I always pictured these as seperate corridors outside the chamber. They are merely 2 posts where deputies line up and a roll call takes place as they pass through and retake their seats. Not very sophisticated, but it would cut out some of the nonsense we're seeing this week.

I can understand why deputies are shouting up to colleagues to press their button. But it's against the rules so should be stamped out.

Voting for somebody who is outside the locked chamber doors is inexcusable if you ask me.

Just waiting on the ethics committee then, seeing as the clerk seems to have taken the two FF lads at their word?

Word being: one didn't know the other hadn't returned to the chamber, and he voted six, SIX times in his absence.

Joke shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Shane Ross off the hook it seems. He voted against his own drink drive legislation from his own seat but voted for it in Catherine Zappones seat. Strange one though.

Sounds like a lot of people just hit the nearest button

Just waiting on the ethics committee then, seeing as the clerk seems to have taken the two FF lads at their word?

Word being: one didn't know the other hadn't returned to the chamber, and he voted six, SIX times in his absence.

Joke shop.
    The Dail has an ethics committee???!

salmocab wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of people just hit the nearest button

Ross hit two buttons, his and Zappones. A Nil for his own vote and a Ta for Zappone. Not sure if Zappone was in the chamber or not, personally whether she was or not is irrelevant despite some of the commentary here.

• Advertisement

lol at least she resigned from it

But not because of ethics, because of exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

lol at least she resigned from it

She was hardly going to be sacked from it :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is clear that the obfuscation of the line between two different offences is working.

No. It's like the fairy tale they wrote and they choose to believe. The public won't make the distinction. I don't see them as two different anything.
    No disciplinary action recommended over Dáil voting
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1023/1085264-dail-voting/

Expected but farcical nonetheless.
    Likely them all being at it excused Dooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It wasn't a big deal, it wasn't based on malice or fraud.

Bad practice that had crept in.

Very simple solutions for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Boggles wrote: »

Maybe but leaves some gaping questions about anything that passed through, especially anything with a narrow majority.

Especially when you see the Adams thing above, TD not even there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Boggles wrote: »

Depends on how seriously you take anything the government or any politician votes on.
    Also we don't know the thinking behind each incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

earlytobed wrote: »
    Timmy is often on the likes of The Tonight Show, calling out the Govt on various issues.
    Will be hard to take him seriously now

You mean people used take him seriously before this!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so what Timmy Dooley is saying is he did not ask Niall Collins to "vote for me", he might have said "look after me there"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

bladespin wrote: »
    Maybe but leaves some gaping questions about anything that passed through, especially anything with a narrow majority.

Especially when you see the Adams thing above, TD not even there.

Hi, what vote passed with a narrow majority that concerns you?

Advertisement