Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

is this FF's Swing-gate?

Arguably this is worse, however I highly doubt FF will be the only ones who've been at it.

Tim nice but Dim just has been the first lad caught out, more to come from lots of party's would be my guess, watch this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Now is the time for other TD's to come clean. The longer they leave it, the more silly they look.

The newspapers are probably tearing through Dail attendance records.

No doubt party whips are frantically making phone calls. Squeaky bums time.

I predict most, if not all major parties are involved.
    It'd be strange for other parties to be so strong on the condemnation, unless they were fairly sure though?

Varadkar has said it happens when people are in the chamber, as did McDowell regarding the Seanad yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Loved Willie O Deas response Last night," Mr O'Dea said the issue had nothing to do with him and said he didn't hear what Mr Dooley said." and the three boys whispering together you just have to love Willie and his utter loyality to the Soldiers Of Destiny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Now is the time for other TD's to come clean. The longer they leave it, the more silly they look.

The newspapers are probably tearing through Dail attendance records.

No doubt party whips are frantically making phone calls. Squeaky bums time.

I predict most, if not all major parties are involved.

Varadkar said he knows it goes on, other TDs voting on behalf of colleagues when in the chamber.
    I don't think that's right either.
    The easiest thing to do, press your own voting button ensuring it is your decision and half of them are gossiping about the place or not even there.
    It's not as if the Dail Chamber is the size of the Phoenix Park and it's too difficult to waddle back to their seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mary Lou supports this message.

not sure what that means - the seats should be linked to the vote with a swipe card - so it's triggered fro that vote by the right TD in the right seat. Hell put in a fingerprint reader the seat arm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Justice minister now guilty as well

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Charlie Flanagan is at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

look at the state of Irish politics

fraudulent expenses claims

fraudulent voting in parliament

fraudulent injury claims

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They are all at. Flanagan just admitted to doing it, all though the example he gave was as funny as it was bull shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Did she vote twice?

Yes... admitted it this morning, on Morning Ireland RTE Radio.

She said that the seats are not numbered or identified and she sat in the wrong one (beside her). She noticed she had voted in the wrong identity when her name didn't appear on the vote screen, so she hopped into her own seat and voted in her own name (also). I don't buy it for one second. She made two 'mistakes' and didn't admit it until she was caught out.

She also said that it's an easy 'mistake' to make and others have done it too. Even Cinema seats are numbered so that you take the right one - it's very convenient that the seats in the Dail aren't, particularly when it seems it was widely known that 'confusion' could and does arise.

There should be further independent investigation of this and heads should roll.

But will they?.... sure anyone can make a 'mistake', particularly when the system is set up to practically encourage it.

• Advertisement

Lisa Chambers on newstalk now. Tongue tied.

Charlie Flanagan is at it too.

The justice minister.

Just let that sink in.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Sean O Rourke now Fionan Sheehan really funny interview

Chambers trying to argue that because the vote wasn't close, her mistake was insignificant.

There is a formal record of how our public representatives have voted throughout history. We're constantly reminded of their voting record in leaflets through the letterbox.

If a vote is insignificant, why bother show up?

Bring back the division lobby I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

This is serious.

It amounts to voting fraud.

Let’s hope it’s the end of the government.

pat kenny gave chambers an extremely easy ride there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

pat kenny gave chambers an extremely easy ride there

We know where Pats political party beliefs lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Pat Kenny on Newstalk just suggested that the vote buttons should not activate until a sensor on the seat rules that the assigned deputy is sitting in it....

How would the system know which particular elected arse it was? We seem to elect a lot of them.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Examples need to be made, the public are losing faith in politicians.

This admitting only when you're caught isn't on. Nothing would have been said if they had got away with it.

They sound like my kids when they have been caught out, making up daft stories. They are adults ffs. Admit you were caught and take the punishment.

It's a joke. I wouldn't be happy until I see heads roll. Deliberate fraud.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I am certain Johnny Dogs will be along shortly with a long list of FG TDs who have done the same. If not, we can look forward to a funny gif or picture.

Thanks for the namedropping Blanch, but I currently don't have a list of them.

Yet.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The simple solution for Dail votes is to have one TD from each side have an arm wrestle to decide the result.

If they don't like the result then do a best of 3, 5, 7 etc

They could really get a huge audience on Oireachtas TV and possibly make it Pay Per View. Sky might even buy the rights when the "votes" get ugly and a mass brawl breaks out.

A few Fr Jack style sneaky left hooks would add to the drama. Ceann Comhairle to act is referee.

They could call it..

The War of the Buttons: This Time It's Serious

Tie breaker - drinking contest in the Dail bar.

I guarantee you this is rife in the Seanad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've listened back to Lisa chambers on morning Ireland today and that was hardly a good interview. If Michael Martin wants to be seen as being a leader he should suspend her like he did with the other two yesterday.

if TDs and senators are going to be forced to actually be present for votes they're going to need some significant allowance increases

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've listened back to Lisa chambers on morning Ireland today and that was hardly a good interview. If Michael Martin wants to be seen as being a leader he should suspend her like he did with the other two yesterday.

The Minister for Justice just admitted to doing it from "time to time" which is politic speak for multiple times, he also said other members do it.

Should Leo suspend him?

If Leo himself has done it, should he suspend himself?

if TDs and senators are going to be forced to actually be present for votes they're going to need some significant allowance increases

Why ? It's the basis fundamental things they are elected to do. At the very least when you Vote for someone in a dail election and they get elected you expect them to take a few seconds to vote so as the dail voting record is acurate. Well be in a bad place if you can't rely on the official voting records of our national parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Nice to see the normally smug Makey-Uppy Chambers having to scramble a bit.

The absolute state of Irish politics though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That they should be present and earn their money......That's a scandalous thing to say :D ...people should be doing the job for which they are paid.
    As for increases. They get paid enough to do their job.
    Wish I could get allowances on top of my wages for just turning up to work.

So from having heard from several politicians over today and yesterday on the radio it appears that it's not uncommon for TDs and senators while in their respective chambers but not at their seat to ask a colleague next to their seat to press the vote button for them but the point they stress is that they are in the chamber and fully aware of what is being done.The difference here with deputies Dooley and Collins and chambers is that there were votes cast by them or for them which did not accurately reflect the reality of the people present in the chamber.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So from having heard from several politicians over today and yesterday on the radio it appears that it's not uncommon for TDs and senators while in their respective chambers but not at their seat to ask a colleague next to their seat to press the vote button for them but the point they stress is that they are in the chamber and fully aware of what is being done.The difference here with deputies Dooley and Collins and chambers is that there were votes cast by them or for them which did not accurately reflect the reality of the people present in the chamber.

Do you honestly believe no TD has ever done the exact same thing as those 3?

It's absolute rife and if we have learned anything, pretty much common practice.

It's not that big a deal in all honesty, unsavory yes, but with the whip system hardly major fraud.

Advertisement