Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The strange affair of Dimmy Tooley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Showing footage on Claire Byrne live showing Clear evidence that Barry cowen was NOT in his seat yet his seat light was lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Eoghan Murphy and Damien English two FG TD's in the frame now for phantom votes according to the Indo.

Jesus Noel rock using the word fraud in CB live. Let’s steady on now deputy Rock.

Noel rock May have to eat humble pie and he’d want to be very sure he’s not done what others have been shown to have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

In situations like this, and swing gate, where politicians are found to be committing fraud, there should be an immediate election called for their seat.

By the time the elections roll around, most people have calmed down or forgotten about the scandals. We need snap elections for the offenders seat in these type of instances.

• Advertisement

Noel rock isn’t coming across well.

Thomas Byrne is coming across better but Noel rock is coming across very high and mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Why not give them ID cards and then they need to slot then into a slot before they can vote.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Why not give them ID cards and then they need to slot then into a slot before they can vote.

That was apparently a plan but wasn’t done because it was worried the TDs would lose them.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That was apparently a plan but wasn’t done because it was worried the TDs would lose them.

A personal pin code so or perhaps they can use the ID card they are so fond off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have noticed the other parties have been a bit quiet on it. It seems like they are all involved in doing it. Anybody found doing it or encouraging it need to be sent to prison.

There is a very tight balance in the Dáil, when Fianna Fáil abstain. How many votes were stolen/won/lost because of these fraudulent votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Damian English:
    "If I voted, I was in the Chamber. If I was stuck talking to someone, I would ask someone to push it for me"

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/phantom-votes-controversy-im-out-of-camera-on-vote-says-eoghan-murphy-38618113.html

What a joke of a parliament.
    A complete disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,378 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Disband the entire fcuking thing.

If Noel rock said what he said tonight without being 100% sure that he has never done what the two FF TDs or that nobody on his behalf has done it and he knew about it, then he’s an eijit. He was all high and mighty tonight and if he’s not airtight on this he’ll be in for some land.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

So far it looks like the following are alleged to have been abusing the voting system.
    • Chambers
    • Collins
    • Cowen
    • Dooley

And then from their counterparts.
    • Damien English
    • Charlie Flanagan
    • Eoghan Murphy
    • Michael Ring

People might want to roll back on the rhetoric on this one, you're going to look mighty stupid crying foul/fraud and it later emerges one of your own colleagues did exactly the same thing.

What an absolute clusterfcuk our parliament is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I have noticed the other parties have been a bit quiet on it. It seems like they are all involved in doing it. Anybody found doing it or encouraging it need to be sent to prison.

There is a very tight balance in the Dáil, when Fianna Fáil abstain. How many votes were stolen/won/lost because of these fraudulent votes?

Sent to prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

blanch152 wrote: »

Now, being present and asking someone to press a button while you finish a conversation or a phone call is a very different thing. It may not be best practice but it is not in the same category as telling someone to vote in your place while you leave the Dail.

I would disagree, either you vote, or you don't.
    Letting someone else vote for you is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

don't think putting out names of politicians who aren't in camera shot is helpful, if you are going to put their name on the front page and are going to suggest they weren't in the chamber you better be sure. Its hard to check though when the camera doesn't show everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Did she vote twice? Thats way more serious. I could understand her voting at the wrong seat but voting twice just compounds the issue. Our main party politicians are frauds and yet they paint the smaller parties as the dodgy ones.

When LC pressed the voting button, unknowingly, while sitting in the wrong seat, she then looked up at the voting pattern on the screen and only then realized that she was sitting in the wrong seat and there pressed the ‘wrong’ button. This episode had nothing to do with DC being in the chamber or not.

Why then did she go ahead and press her own button - thereby voting twice. She could have reasoned that she had already voted - via DC button and who was not in his chair- and leave it at that. That approach, IMHO, would be perfectly understandable in the heat of the moment - but still not an acceptable practice.
    If this button pressing is a practice among some TDS , is it stil a practice when the voting could be very tight.

I find it very interesting how many boardies are writing it off as a minor error and the Dail records being so important. Is there not a stenographer taking down every word that’s uttered
    ITS THE PRINCIPAL, IRRESPECTIVE OF HOW TIGHT THE VOTE IS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This wrong seat excuse is nonsense. I was in the Dail for a tour on culture night and the guide was pointing out who sits where, e.g. that's Leo's seat etc, and he knew where Eamon Ryan, the Healy-Raes and a whole pile of other TDs sit.

If the tour guide can remember them all then the individual TDs can definitely remember their own.

Also why not put a number on them to avoid any confusion.

I am not allowed use another person's polling card to vote in elections so why should our elected representatives be able to cast votes for others?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

This wrong seat excuse is nonsense. I was in the Dail for a tour on culture night and the guide was pointing out who sits where, e.g. that's Leo's seat etc, and he knew where Eamon Ryan, the Healy-Raes and a whole pile of other TDs sit.

If the tour guide can remember them all then the individual TDs can definitely remember their own.

Also why not put a number on them to avoid any confusion.

I am not allowed use another person's polling card to vote in elections so why should our elected representatives be able to cast votes for others?

They are numbered.

lola85 wrote: »
    They are numbered.

The voting panel is numbered not the seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anybody found doing it or encouraging it need to be sent to prison.

You're far too lenient. Guillotine the lot of them I say

Reminds me of the paperback, "The Polling Of the Dead" by John Kelly, 1993 A better title for this situation would be "The Polling Of the Deliquents"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

As this is voter fraud and widespread. Is it a matter for the Gardaí? How can we have elected members actively engaging in these practices?

In addition any guilty individuals should be barred from serving in public office for a minimum period of several years or never again at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Do they still lock the lobby doors for a vote?

I've heard rumours that Buswells would often receive a phone call informing them the voting bell has sounded and to tell their clientele to drink up, get back into the chamber before they were locked out.

Also, a certain minister in the 90's often lingered in O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row and a parliamentary usher was sent up to return him to the chamber for a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are the gardai involved yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Gru wrote: »
    As this is voter fraud and widespread. Is it a matter for the Gardaí? How can we have elected members actively engaging in these practices?

In addition any guilty individuals should be barred from serving in public office for a minimum period of several years or never again at all.
    bladespin wrote: »
    Are the gardai involved yet?

Which particular law do you think was broken that requires Garda involvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

blanch152 wrote: »
    Which particular law do you think was broken that requires Garda involvement?

Fraud as mentioned earlier, I'n not sure a law has been broken but would imagine impersonation etc should be against the law, hence my question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

bladespin wrote: »
    Fraud as mentioned earlier, I'n not sure a law has been broken but would imagine impersonation etc should be against the law, hence my question.

I can imagine laws too, but I am more interested in what real-life laws you believe were broken.

Advertisement