Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joe Schmidt era.

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

This joe is great / joe isn’t great is worse than the old my daddy would beat up your daddy debate I used to enter into regularly as a 6 year old.

You’re choosing to read it so I guess you, like the rest of us, must enjoy such tedious debates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Going by that theory Italy, Argentina and Japan are on the cusp of victory over the ABs as they have played them a lot more frequently since 1995. They don't need to worry about stupid things like training, analysis, coaching ,skill or hard work. Just play them more often.

Wales and Scotland are ****ed though because they have played less tests against the ABs since 1995 than they did before. How will they ever get better?
    (Yes I know Wales have beaten the ABs before but the last time was 1953 so I'm chucking them in)

No that's a senseless post. Japan hadn't come as close to beating the ABs as we did pre 1995 for example 1973 and 1992. Argentina will beat them soon enough.

Playing them more post 1995 helped us. Schmidt's achievement in beating then is overrated I feel. Average all blacks, we were playing them more regularly.

Joe was very good for Irish rugby but ultimately failed when it really mattered. Why can't so many cope with that.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Absolute dope. Who are you referring to? You can't label people who disagree with you 'absolute dopes' that's tantamount to bullying really.

The 'wider' we didn't see much of anything 'wide' in the WC. The irony.

Mod. Why am I carded for quoting another poster? It just reaffirms what many feel about the rugby forum, it's a cosy little cartel.

Posters wishing the WC was over so it would be back to business as usual with no critique of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Mod. Why am I carded for quoting another poster? It just reaffirms what many feel about the rugby forum, it's a cosy little cartel.

Posters wishing the WC was over so it would be back to business as usual with no critique of performance.

I think you should maybe take your own advice
    You need to take a break you're meandering all over the place.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Joe was very good for Irish rugby but ultimately failed when it really mattered. Why can't so many cope with that.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the World Cup was anything other than a disaster.

Where the wheels come off is when people who've been waiting for failure all along come out and say that, actually, the last nine years mean nothing because of what happened the last few weeks. It's petty and miserable and should be called out as such.

That's the problem.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think you should maybe take your own advice

:-)

I'm very much on topic. Why was I carded for a legitimate rugby related post. Unlike you raving about some poster you had a disagreement over on the motoring thread:D:D

I don't think anyone disagrees that the World Cup was anything other than a disaster.

Where the wheels come off is when people who've been waiting for failure all along come out and say that, actually, the last nine years mean nothing because of what happened the last few weeks. It's petty and miserable and should be called out as such.

That's the problem.

Well I haven't been doing that. I'm a genuine supporter of Irish rugby. I just always got sick of the 'In Joe We Trust' bull and constant put downs of coaches before him.

He's an absolute gentleman (Joe) had a great level of success, but we have to analyse in terms of failure at the really big competition.

I didn't come on here slagging rugby people during the Japanese game etc.

Absolute dope. Who are you referring to? You can't label people who disagree with you 'absolute dopes' that's tantamount to bullying really.

The 'wider' we didn't see much of anything 'wide' in the WC. The irony.

If you reported this Irishbucsfan, which received a red card infraction, you're really one to talk about critics of Irish rugby being cowards!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

This joe is great / joe isn’t great is worse than the old my daddy would beat up your daddy debate I used to enter into regularly as a 6 year old.

My da WOULD batter your da though.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

You’re choosing to read it so I guess you, like the rest of us, must enjoy such tedious debates

Your being generous calling it a debate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you reported this Irishbucsfan, which received a red card infraction, you're really one to talk about critics of Irish rugby being cowards!!

I think the card was for you accusing him of calling you a dope when actually he didn't. His posting style is very subtle and I think it's going over your head a bit! The forum has a big problem with trolls posing as rugby fans so you can see why some people are getting annoyed.

I would be interesting to see how different the reaction would have been if Joe wasn't leaving. Would be there genuine calls for him to go? I'm not sure there would but a rocky 6 nations would change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I didn't, and I didn't

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

A burn good enough to bring a smile to the craggiest face.

The guy is flip flopping so much he doesn't actually know which way is up. On a quiet day you can actually hear the goal posts being moved.

You literally contribute f*ck all here. You just join in and have a pop at people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It does. You get more used to their tempo

Faugheen wrote: »
    You just join in and have a pop at people.

Shouldn't you be over on the Munster thread doing just that?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Shouldn't you be over on the Munster thread doing just that?

I do that in the Munster thread do I? Looking forward to some proof.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I do that in the Munster thread do I? Looking forward to some proof.

That's where we're different, I can just dip you in **** and walk off. Effortless. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Bottom line. Gatland got Wales to a semi! Rassie turned the Boks around in 18 months. All the way to a final.
    Joe failed miserably at the big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

No that's a senseless post. Japan hadn't come as close to beating the ABs as we did pre 1995 for example 1973 and 1992. Argentina will beat them soon enough.

Playing them more post 1995 helped us. Schmidt's achievement in beating then is overrated I feel. Average all blacks, we were playing them more regularly.

Argentina drew with the ABs in 1985. I think Scotland did as well in 90 at Eden Park. All they have to do is play the ABs more and eventually they will roll over for a belly tickle. Doesn't work like that.

You know nothing about the mentality of NZ rugby if you think that's the case. The ABs always prided themselves on the fact that only 5 nations had ever won a match against them. Everyone knew that other nations would eventually catch up but every player was desperate to not be on the first team to lose to those nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Just to clarify...
    Weaker schools enter the league before Christmas and qualify for the cup. Only the traditional top schools do nothing else but the cup.

But your point stands, it's definitely worth questioning although it could be argued that by not playing competitive games all year there's less pressure to play winning attritional rugby all year for young bodies. The test/challenge series can allow for rotation and varied play.

If they played too much we'd be complaining too.

Fwiw I agree with those who think JS brought Ireland on and his time here was a huge positive.

The new schools cup format in Ulster is a round robin. First year its been tried but well received.

There is a lot of hamdbags in this thread.

2 things strike me going forward:

1. Age. what about young players. Was Jonny Wilkinson not capped at 18? How young are the players we cap routinely?

2. Tactics. Surely the odd offload would be a useful addition to any gameplan? If we learn to offload in the wet and cold they should stick in the heat. Some posters here suggesting kids aren't taught this skill. My kids' mini rugby coach coached that x2 offloads should be a try. It was great. The kids can do it. The whole playing safe approach as they get older is more the issue (and that comes from the top IMHO) than the lack of skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not doing any skills development via the likes of sevens rugby hasn't helped.

Irish rugby is very blinkered and conservative

Look at even the schools rugby. Knockout rugby games are played instead of a round robin to develop players, especially in weaker schools
    that has begun to change to some degree in all provinces except leinster from this season and in many degrees it is still very conservative but things are beginning to change with Ulster possibly most old school for me of the provinces having some schools play round Robin in schools cup before stronger schools enter.
    The consistency was missing plenty of times, the bus being delayed at the start of 2017 6N in Edinburgh. Big lull 2016-17.

Yes he was our best coach, is he overrated, absolutely. He's not as good as Gatland or Jones, so far in his career. Yet we were fed bull based on Autumn Internationals, Summer tours etc.

Gatland's Lions success and 2 WC QFs alone see to that.

Jones record doesn't even have to be mentioned.
    we weren't fed bull based on summer and autumn games as combined with 6 nations success we were very very strong.
    Just to clarify...
    Weaker schools enter the league before Christmas and qualify for the cup. Only the traditional top schools do nothing else but the cup.

But your point stands, it's definitely worth questioning although it could be argued that by not playing competitive games all year there's less pressure to play winning attritional rugby all year for young bodies. The test/challenge series can allow for rotation and varied play.

If they played too much we'd be complaining too.

Fwiw I agree with those who think JS brought Ireland on and his time here was a huge positive.
    they dont play too much anyway
    Straight knockout cup has to be thrown out and better links with club rugby for those in rugby schools have to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Closing this thread for a bit so everyone can take a break and calm down. Folks the whole point of this forum is to have a good debate about rugby, but when it descends into personal insults and petty gibes enough is enough. Mods don't need to be trawling through posts to see who said what and who started it, personally I have enough of that at home with a toddler. When the thread reopens posters are warned to start posting in a civil manner or it will be closed for good..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement