Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broken property at gym

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i think both sides are negligent. op should have used the weights properly but the woman left the headphones on the ground

if the op had just stepped back and stood on them would they be responsible. to me no

i would offer 50% of new price and no more . thats even being generous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Broken through negligence.

Also we don't know where they were. Benches in my gym are quite close. Nobody walks in between them. Nobody drops weights either.
    If inm put my phone on the ground I'm very sure it's not going to get broken.

Unless someone lifting weights that are too heavy and not clipped and too proud or careless to ask for a spotter happens to stand beside me.

You can spin the story either way. We're just getting one opinion.

This is like something I would be saying to my kids “ pick them up or they are going to get broken”

Thank god I don’t go to gyms .... ,, I just stick to good old fashion running and cycling in the mean streets of our land .... saying that cycle insurance is handy to have in case accidents happen in my gym which is known to happen .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

paw patrol wrote: »
    weights fall in a gym all the time that is a given - she should have secured her items but instead she left the ear phones on the ground.
    she deserves nothing, you should give her nothing.

They got broken due to his negligence. He didn't secure them. Wouldn't have been broken by a plate falling off the bar otherwise.
    Replace them.do the right thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

This is like something I would be saying to my kids “ pick them up or they are going to get broken”.

Headphones on the ground is irrelevant IMO. weights shouldn't be dropping off bars.

If the headphones were on a bench they'd likely still get broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Number one rule in the gym- leave personal items in the changing room unless you’re carrying them on your person.

I’ve dropped weights loads of times for various reasons. It’s a place to train and for novices to make mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

Both at fault, if it were me in the OP's position I would offer half the cost of new ones. If it were me in the other person's position, I would be happy with half the cost of new ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I doubt this minor issue will be resolved through the legal route. It will come down to individual personal responsibility and decency, so only the OP controls the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Only amateurs lift unsecured weights. It's very bad practice.
    Only amateurs accidentally drop weights. You should have a spotter or know what you can lift.

There's a reasonable expectation that people using gym equipment know how to use it. It's probably written on the wall of the gym or in the T&Cs

your point is kinda stupid ..
    amateurs.....?

an example - lets take the bench press.
    a widely accepted practice if benching alone is not to use clips so if you fail you can tip the weights off each side to free yourself. This is safety!
    A good spotter isn't always available...a bad spotter can hurt you.

as for "knowing what you can lift" that comment sounds like common sense but in reality it shows you have little understanding of the human body or lifting weights....people get fail or get injured suddenly on sub maximal lifts all the time...this is a fact of life that you can't always prevent.

I doubt this minor issue will be resolved through the legal route. It will come down to individual personal responsibility and decency, so only the OP controls the outcome.
    Pretty much. The resolution here is hiding in plain site. But I sense the snowflake spirit between both parties.

Mod
    Pls no snowflakery here

• Advertisement

BDI wrote: »
    Every pr heavy deadlift the bar gets dropped.

if you can't control it, you can't lift it.
    deadlift is all the way to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

bluewolf wrote: »
    deadlift is all the way to the ground

And the gym is where you learn this sort of stuff. When to use collars, when not.

Putting tripping hazards like massive headphones on the floor is a bigger crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

amateurs.....?

a widely accepted practice if benching alone is not to use clips so if you fail you can tip the weights off each side to free yourself. This is safety!

as for "knowing what you can lift" that comment sounds like common sense but in reality it shows you have little understanding of the human body or lifting weights....people get fail or get injured suddenly on sub maximal lifts all the time...this is a fact of life that you can't always prevent.
    This is about common sense and courtesy and not some from of asinine cockfighting over exercises and techniques. We are all aware there are some stupid people in gyms, idiots who leave things in dumb places and idiots who throw weights about like a half-crazed bull calf. Neither should be acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If the OP had of got off a bench and stepped on the headphones and say they cracked and cut her foot,would they headphone owner be negligent in that case and have to pay for the OPs medical bills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And the gym is where you learn this sort of stuff. When to use collars, when not.

Putting tripping hazards like massive headphones on the floor is a bigger crime.
    It's your responsibility to be aware of your workspace and risks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

tipptom wrote: »
    If the OP had of got off a bench and stepped on the headphones and say they cracked and cut her foot,would they headphone owner be negligent in that case and have to pay for the OPs medical bills?

They would have to be barefoot for that to happen and that would be their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

amateurs.....?

Absolute horsecrap; maybe in 1950s Soviet darklands. Racks for benching have safety bars for this. Or else you can do the roll of shame: roll the bar down from your chest to your navel and situp and get the bar off yourself.

EDIT: Just to be clear: I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I know it does (or used to), but it's totally archaic and uncool behaviour. It's not "widely accepted".

Are you one of those posers who thinks they own the gym and that only serious work outs should be allowed. A crime to leave your earphones down?, Jesus wept.

The guy allowed unsecured weights to slide off a bar, he could have injured someone, fortunately only earphones were damaged, but he was at fault through misuse of the equipment.

joeguevara wrote: »
    They would have to be barefoot for that to happen and that would be their fault.

Ok,lets say she twisted and sprained her ankle of them?

Broken through negligence.

Also we don't know where they were. Benches in my gym are quite close. Nobody walks in between them. Nobody drops weights either.
    If inm put my phone on the ground I'm very sure it's not going to get broken.

Unless someone lifting weights that are too heavy and not clipped and too proud or careless to ask for a spotter happens to stand beside me.

You can spin the story either way. We're just getting one opinion.

What!!
    You leave your phone on the ground and I step on it and break it and you would have the cheek to give out to me about tossing your phone on the ground,children has more sense than than to do that.

Weights should have been secured and headphones should not have been on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's the girls issue to take up with the gym since they were damaged on their property and I'm sure she signed a disclaimer when joining so they won't give her the time of day.

Painful lesson for her not to leave valuable items unattended in a hazardous environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

bluewolf wrote: »
    How exactly do you know you cant control it if you are not allowed to lift it first?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

I assume most people blaming the girl here are men.. women's gym clothes come with very little to no pockets lol

I often have to set things down for a minute to grab plates etc but I don't leave things on the ground

OP shouldn't have given his number if he was never going to pay and it all seems a bit weird

GreeBo wrote: »
    How exactly do you know you cant control it if you are not allowed to lift it first?

you don't go from 0-200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Shouldn't the relevant weight pins have been available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

mlem123 wrote: »
    I assume most people blaming the girl here are men.. women's gym clothes come with very little to no pockets lol

I often have to set things down for a minute to grab plates etc but I don't leave things on the ground

OP shouldn't have given his number if he was never going to pay and it all seems a bit weird

not sure how my gender or my indepth knollegue of yoga pants has any bearing on this. blaming lack of pockets for leaving a valuable item on the ground is simply laughable

the op is 50% responsile at most . that is down to not using the clips etc. if the op had simply steped back then they would not be responsibleat all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The incident has been a very valuable lesson to the Spanish girl not to be leaving your stuff on the ground or it might get stood on and broken.

My kids figured this out before they were 10 but some people obviously need a bit more help with the concept.

I wouldn't be buying her any replacement, besides, Beats are a terrible headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Tara4 wrote: »
    I was working out in the gym today and it appears that through my own negligence I may have damaged a Spanish girls beats headphones.

I was doing a bicep curl with a bar and I couldn't find any weight pins for the bar. I tried lifting without the pins and the weights fell and possibly damaged the headphones.

I'm wondering what position this leaves me in legally ? I gave the girl my number and she said she would charge the headphones and tell me whether they were working.

I've watched enough judge Judy to know that I possibly have to make this girl 'whole'. By that I mean I might have to replace these headphones with ones of commiserate value ie. Second hand beats headphones.

If this girl gives me proof that the headphones are broken. I will need proof that she has tried to repair them. Or indeed written proof that they are beyond repair.

What position am I in legally? Should I expect the gym's insurance to cover it ? How much for a second hand pair of beats headphones ?

Thanks

This is never going to go legal so you should really try to answer the question yourself based on your own morales.

You've already admitted you were negligent and it sounds like you'd buy her a new pair of headphones if you had the money.

I suggest..

If they are broken and you're entirely at fault why not just tell her your circumstances and offer her what you can genuinely afford towards replacing them.

If you feel she was also negligent leaving them lying around, then part payment is also a fair offer.

Do what you feel is right within the bounds of what you can afford. And if you put yourself in her shoes, you know what's right.

If she's reasonable she will respect your offer at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    What planet are you on :confused: if they're broken as a result of you dropping weights on them then do the right thing and buy her a new pair (ie. brand new from a retailer).

So if you broke someone's iPhone 5 that the paid €700 for 7 years ago, you'd replace it with a new €700 iPhone 8? Not a chance.

I really hate the term Virtue Signalling, but this is exactly it.

Aside from the fact they could be old or new which has a massive bearing on what is a fair course of action, leaving headphones on the floor is absolutely idiotic to say the least.

I don't leave my laptop under the coffee machine in work when I'm making a coffee, because people spill coffee every single day. And people drop weights every single day.

I'd be splitting the cost 50:50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Absolute horsecrap; maybe in 1950s Soviet darklands. Racks for benching have safety bars for this. Or else you can do the roll of shame: roll the bar down from your chest to your navel and situp and get the bar off yourself.

EDIT: Just to be clear: I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I know it does (or used to), but it's totally archaic and uncool behaviour. It's not "widely accepted".

ok boss - you truly are the font of knowledge. :rolleyes:

Advertisement