Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIM question - porting number

• 19-10-2019 3:37pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't know how this works at all, so apologies if this is going to sound like a stupid question. I want to switch mobile phone provider and keep my number: will the information (phone numbers, texts, etc) on my old sim be carried across to the new one? Or will I be able to keep my old sim?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

New Home wrote: »
    I don't know how this works at all, so apologies if this is going to sound like a stupid question. I want to switch mobile phone provider and keep my number: will the information (phone numbers, texts, etc) on my old sim be carried across to the new one? Or will I be able to keep my old sim?

Thanks.

Are your phone numbers on the SIM? What phone have you? It's no longer normal to save contacts to a SIM or phone. Most phones save to the cloud to your Google/Apple account

Texts definitely don't carry across. It's a new SIM, it will be blank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thanks.

No to all your questions.

I also reckon it'd be unlikely that any phone under 10 years old would store anything on the SIM, it'd all be on the phone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've some very old phones hanging around... The SIM is about 18 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You have to get a new sim card from the network your moving too currently.

The sim will have a new number on it, but then when the port is processed your number will be moved to that sim including your original prefix.

Most phones now store contacts, sms, etc on the phone. Changing the sim will not impact that.

This is a better way, because it always easy backup if the phone gets lost/stolen/broken.

You cant use the old sim after the port as it will no longer be active.

I've some very old phones hanging around... The SIM is about 18 years old.

I suggest you go to a phone store and ask them to transfer then for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks folks.

One more question about this - I have an ancient mobile number that I let lapse, if that's the right term, when O2 was acquired by Three. If I were to port that number (considering it's not been in use for a few years), would I have to reactivate the number with Three first? The GoMo website mentioned they'd send a text, but I don't know if I'd be able to receive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭DopeTech

One more question about this - I have an ancient mobile number that I let lapse, if that's the right term, when O2 was acquired by Three. If I were to port that number (considering it's not been in use for a few years), would I have to reactivate the number with Three first? The GoMo website mentioned they'd send a text, but I don't know if I'd be able to receive it.
    When you say lapse what exactly do you mean? If you call the number from another mobile are you receiving the call? If it's a few years and the SIM is dead then somebody else might even have your number. If the SIM is dead and you call it and it doesn't connect to anyone else then you might be able to get it back by going in-store and asking for them to reactivate it. They'll probably ask you to top up but maybe not if you are lucky. I wouldn't mention wanting to port the number away until you have it back.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

That number is most likely gone. Numbers not in use get recycled. You cannot port a number that's not in use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Put the SIM in a phone and see if it registers with the network, O2 or 3 will show up on screen. If it says emergency calls only then the SIM is inactive and would be impossible to resurrect.

The only advantage of having an O2 SIM is to have an 086 number which some people prefer to 085 or 083. Doesn't matter to most but does to some.

In any case, it's irrelevant in the context of signing up with gomo, there'll be a new 085 number issued on the gomo SIM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement