Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good present for 6 y.o. child where house is full of toys already

Options
  • 19-10-2019 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

I’m thinking a family trip to tayto Park. Any other suggestions or family trips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That sounds good. Whose child is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have stopped buying toys for my nieces and nephews as they have houses full of stuff as previous poster said a day trip like tayto park.
    I have purchased a tayto park family ticket as a Xmas or birthday gift. The zoo is another one.
    A cinema Gift card. You could purchase a very small token toy and day out gift card.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Highroad12

harr wrote: »
    I have stopped buying toys for my nieces and nephews as they have houses full of stuff as previous poster said a day trip like tayto park.
    I have purchased a tayto park family ticket as a Xmas or birthday gift. The zoo is another one.
    A cinema Gift card. You could purchase a very small token toy and day out gift card.

How much was the family pass please? Was thinking of getting it for someone as a present myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

is_that_so wrote: »
    That sounds good. Whose child is it?

My Brother’s

Dots1982 wrote: »
    My Brother’s
    Yeah that's where you go to, family vouchers and the like. Cinema trips are good as well. I became the book guy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Books.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Books.Vouchers for non-toy shops (maybe a shopping centre where they could pick a jersey or something later in the year).cinema passes, zoo visits, any kind of leisure plex thing nearby??

Just not more plastic :-)Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cinema.
    I'm really picky about books and we use the library a lot so book token rather than books.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Book or similar. Normally get prize bonds for them not that they'll no much about them for a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We usually get Eason gift vouchers for our niece and nephew now. They love picking out their own things and usually get books or colouring stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A big box of sweets.

lazygal wrote: »
    Cinema.
    I'm really picky about books and we use the library a lot so book token rather than books.
    At a certain age I agree but plenty of scope to buy for smaller ones (U8s) as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Highroad12 wrote: »
    How much was the family pass please? Was thinking of getting it for someone as a present myself
    I think tayto park and zoo are around €100 for family pass ...zoo I think is cheapest.
    Now I wouldn’t be spending that on birthday gift that would be a Christmas gift for a family.
    For birthday it would be cinema gift card or a a voucher for set amount.
    Another good one is a day out at the national stud in kildare town or castlecomer heritage park.

Newbridge House too is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

is_that_so wrote: »
    At a certain age I agree but plenty of scope to buy for smaller ones (U8s) as an option.

We've gotten books we have already though.

Yeah, that happens a bit. I always check with parents first, especially around Christmas, to see if there are any books on the list or if they already have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Plenty ideas here, but fair play to you. I wish my relatives would take a leaf from your book!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Yes that happens but at least you can gift them on or ask local bookshop to swap for something else. There is no pleasing some people if you have to moan about getting books as gifts.

Presents we love getting in our house include books, pjs, experience gifts especially ones where doting aunt or uncle take the kids out for the day like cinema or whatever. Vouchers towards swimming lessons or other expensive extracurricular activities or equipment for said expensive activities.

Oh yes, clothes with a bit of merchandising go down well here - a Pokemon jumper, Thomas the tank pyjamas, that kind of thing!

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I’m thinking a family trip to tayto Park. Any other suggestions or family trips?

Memories are good. So a trip to a park like that is always going to work. The problem with toys is they rarely remember the toys - even more rare who gave it to them.

Time is also a good gift. It is the one I normally work with.

Find a way you can gift them the gift of time. Or fake it if you can't :)

Probably the best gift I ever gave my niece was a pair a chess sets. I gave her one and then I opened the other and I set it up. I made a move. And I walked out.

I told her to learn chess by playing people on the other set and on _our_ board she should phone me and tell me her move. And so on and so on.

Our game is still on going. Nearly 2 years now. Its my move at the moment.

But - point is - the good gift is always the one you put time into or the one that means you have to put time in together afterwards.

Anyone can walk into a store and buy something. But our time is a real gift. Because it is something that normally means something to both of us.

Was that more soppy than my normal posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Smartbox probably has something. (smartbox.ie)
    Books are great. If the kid has hobbies or things he's interested in, like photography or music, lessons wouldn't go amiss. Cheap instruments if musically inclined. (Tin whistle, xaphoon/pocket saxophone, recorder)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Trip to national history museum. Took my nephew and the excitement and awe were priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Fair play OP!

We have this agreement between my brother and us. He has 3 boys, we have 3 girls. We buy “experiences” that we can all enjoy together. Two of my nephews birthdays are in November so I’ve gotten us all tickets to The lights in Dublin Zoo, my parents and sisters are coming too and we’ll make a day of it.

Other things we’ve done is the Explorium in Sandyford, my brother got us an annual zoo pass the year before last. Tayto Park, the panto at Christmas, tickets to shows, rugby match tickets etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My husband has 2 young nephews aged 3 and 5. Their parents don’t want them to be given presents of toys at Christmas and have asked for vouchers instead. To be honest, I have a problem with that as I feel no child really wants to get a voucher (older kids I’d nave no problem). Instead I make a gift box for them, this year it will have a pair of Levi’s, a nice fluffy pyjamas with fluffy socks too, a book and a small toy. I’ll finish it off with a nice selection box. I think it’s a fair compromise.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My husband has 2 young nephews aged 3 and 5. Their parents don’t want them to be given presents of toys at Christmas and have asked for vouchers instead. To be honest, I have a problem with that as I feel no child really wants to get a voucher (older kids I’d nave no problem). Instead I make a gift box for them, this year it will have a pair of Levi’s, a nice fluffy pyjamas with fluffy socks too, a book and a small toy. I’ll finish it off with a nice selection box. I think it’s a fair compromise.

Would you not just do as the parent asked? Maybe they know best what their kids should get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

No, for years when our were small they completely ignored any request we made in relation to presents. I think I’m making reasonable accommodations in buying clothes, books etc as well as a small toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, for years when our were small they completely ignored any request we made in relation to presents. I think I’m making reasonable accommodations in buying clothes, books etc as well as a small toy.

Before they had their own kids and learned what works? Sounds like you're only buying these to get back at your in laws for ignoring your request. Why don't you just be the bigger person and get what they requested?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I definitely wouldn’t be impressed with the selection box!! There is enough crap being given to kids at that time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I always ask my brothers and their wives what the children would like, and that's what they get, be it a toy, clothes, books, vouchers, and they do the same with mine, and I always ask for the same....books and Pjs, clothes.
    My husbands family on the other hand buy pure and utter sh*te, cheap stuff from euro shops or cheap toy shops that break and ends up in the bin. Last year they got a mountain of stuff all of it the boys had no interest in, it was unwrapped and cast aside. I left it in a pile in the living room in plain sight for the whole moth of January and it wasnt looked at once. It all went to the charity shops, such a waste of money. I would rather nothing at all than just getting first the sake of it. We have always said we have too many toys so maybe a book or clothes etc...never happens. I probably sound really ungrateful, it's not about the money, I just never buy a present for someone without knowing what they like or what they need or want.
    A memory present sounds wonderful, or even a prepaid cc card with a note saying have a special day on me. That way they can do whatever they want with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork lass, that sounds very thoughtful, but fyi, my kids hate those fluffy pjs and socks. I think it's because they are mostly made from that polyester or acrylic plastic stuff, which is really sweaty to wear, rather than cotton which they are used to.

Very generous of you, but just a heads up on the pjs, check the fabric.

We are a bit brutal with vouchers, never find the time to use them. Books are always a big hit here, once people check in advance have they already read them. Beautifully illustrated ones, or a boxed book set is nice for a special gift.

Advertisement