Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Work Christmas Day

Options
  • 19-10-2019 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me if Employers Can force staff to work Christmas Day
    I’m part time 22 - 26 hours a week
    There offering a good rate of pay and bonus But I personally don’t want to work regardless and just wanted to know my rights
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

bearclaire wrote: »
    There offering a good rate of pay and bonus But I personally don’t want to work regardless and just wanted to know my rights
    Thanks

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

What profession do you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

rafatoni wrote: »
    What profession do you work in?

Customer service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

You can’t be forced to do anything unless you agree, if you don’t, get another job

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’ve worked on places where the work was 24/7

If the usual rostered work day was Christmas Day then you were expected to work it or apply for annual leave which was always a scramble.

I worked a number and lucky enough to get some off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Simple answer is yes you can be "forced" as you call it. A company is not obliged to give anyone a particular day off unless they have applied for annual leave and it has been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Can you be sacked for saying no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

scwazrh wrote: »

Insomuch as you can be sacked for refusing to work any other day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In a company which I worked for we had a guy who was a fairly devout catholic, he maintained it was his right to be given Sunday off, he was facilitated getting rostered off on Sunday because of this. About two years later he claimed he had turned his back on Catholicism and was now Jewish and instead wanted Saturday off. He was told to fûck off. Much kicking and screaming later, he left, under a cloud...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I’d just ring in sick.
    Customer service on Christmas Day, Jaysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

scwazrh wrote: »

Disciplined yes.
    Sacked for one day absence would be hard to push through unless there was some catastrophic result from the employee not being there.
    Or unless the employee was already in the discipline process for absence issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Why are they open on Christmas Day? What is the business/product that it needs to be open that day? Customers will assume the place is closed it will probably be really slow.

I'm guessing you won't be the only one, and it seems basically your options are to either do it or call out sick. I'be worked Christmas Day before and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. It was a relaxed day because it was slow and those of us that had to come in shared a sense of camaraderie for doing so. I don't really like Christmas anyway though which helped. But basically it won't be as bad as it sounds, you'll probably find that you and your team will be simultaneously annoyed but in good form at the same time.

But if you call in sick, the others who are scheduled that day will be resentful, plus you could get disciplined. You'll have to get a sick cert too.

When the day has come and gone, you'll have rather had gone in. You won't have the 'oh she pulled a sickie' stuff going around behind your back, and you'll get the pay plus the bonus which always comes in handy in January. To make up for it you could use the extra cash to get something for yourself in the January sales or for going out on Stephen's Night or New Year's if that's your thing.

The alternative is coworkers b*tching about you and missing close to 2 days pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Why are they open on Christmas Day? What is the business/product that it needs to be open that day? Customers will assume the place is closed it will probably be really slow.

it might be a multinational company where christmas isnt a big deal? so you might get calls from all over the world

I know staff in eBay that are in on xmas day

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I'm guessing you won't be the only one, and it seems basically your options are to either do it or call out sick. I'be worked Christmas Day before and it wasn't as bad as it sounds. It was a relaxed day because it was slow and those of us that had to come in shared a sense of camaraderie for doing so. I don't really like Christmas anyway though which helped. But basically it won't be as bad as it sounds, you'll probably find that you and your team will be simultaneously annoyed but in good form at the same time.

But if you call in sick, the others who are scheduled that day will be resentful, plus you could get disciplined. You'll have to get a sick cert too.

When the day has come and gone, you'll have rather had gone in. You won't have the 'oh she pulled a sickie' stuff going around behind your back, and you'll get the pay plus the bonus which always comes in handy in January. To make up for it you could use the extra cash to get something for yourself in the January sales or for going out on Stephen's Night or New Year's if that's your thing.

The alternative is coworkers b*tching about you and missing close to 2 days pay.

In fairness, Guards/Firefighters/Hospitals/Prisons/Nursing homes and plenty of other businesses are open on Christmas day. Hell i worked in a shop 23 years ago that opened for a few hours to make sure people were able to get a few last minute bits if they were stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

y.

In a significant proportion of the world, and for a considerable number of both non Christians and Christians here in Ireland, Christmas Day is just like any other day. Problems happen and support services may be necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

bearclaire wrote: »
    Thanks

Have you tried switching with someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

What does your contract say?
    In the industry Im in its a normal working day and you are expected to attend work as such unless leave has been agreed which is always a scramble

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say lots of call centre support offices would be running particularly if they trade internationally- to most of the world it’s just another day and not the massive deal it is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

These threads pop up every year and every year I say the same thing!
    Yes they can roster you, if you don't want to work it then hand in your notice a week or two before Christmas to allow them to rejig the roster.

DO NOT call in sick on Christmas day. I don't say this out of concern for your boss or employers, I say this out of pity for your poor fellow colleague who will be called in last minute to cover you after expecting to have the day off.
    No its not your problem, but its a very selfish & unkind thing to do.

I fully understand why someone wouldn't want to work that day, so if you don't want to, just hand in your notice. Don't pull a fast one at the 11th hour and ruin some other poor souls Christmas at the last minute.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

SusieBlue wrote: »
    DO NOT call in sick on Christmas day. I don't say this out of concern for your boss or employers, I say this out of pity for your poor fellow colleague who will be called in last minute to cover you after expecting to have the day off.
    No its not your problem, but its a very selfish & unkind thing to do.

Good advice, but actually it probably will be come "your problem", because everyone will know you done it and although there will not be anything they can do about it directly, they can definitely make your live uncomfortable.... no one willing to cover for you, boss scheduling you for they difficult shifts etc...

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »
    In fairness, Guards/Firefighters/Hospitals/Prisons/Nursing homes and plenty of other businesses are open on Christmas day. Hell i worked in a shop 23 years ago that opened for a few hours to make sure people were able to get a few last minute bits if they were stuck.

They are services, critical services, without any one of them people ARE going to die on Christmas Day. That cannot be argued.

For a ‘for profit’ business to open its just a bit prickish. It’s saying “yep for sure we want the opportunity to amass more money and in doing so we are going to try and deprive our staff from on this one day being able to relax and stay at home and enjoy with their loved ones because we want more money”. One day out of 365, but nope for some that’s a step too far.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Strumms wrote: »
    They are services, critical services, without any one of them people ARE going to die on Christmas Day. That cannot be argued.

For a ‘for profit’ business to open its just a bit prickish. It’s saying “yep for sure we want the opportunity to amass more money and in doing so we are going to try and deprive our staff from on this one day being able to relax and stay at home and enjoy with their loved ones because we want more money”. One day out of 365, but nope for some that’s a step too far.:rolleyes:

I guess computers and electronic equipment don't understand the importance of Christian beliefs to some, they really should.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I guess computers and electronic equipment don't understand the importance of Christian beliefs to some, they really should.

Christian beliefs don’t come a huge way into it, for some of course yes, for others it’s a celebration of the family, a day when the whole family is enabled to be together without a boss looking for overtime or other distractions. One fûcking day a year, one day.

Your point about computers and electronics... you ask for volunteers, not putting the gun to the heads...people who WANT to work should have that opportunity, those who value the day.. should be enabled to be off. With Ireland a very diverse country now it won’t be difficult to get volunteers who Christmas holds no huge importance. A few extra quid, a quiet day in work.. be perfect, for some...

It’s a slippery slope. As you say, it stars with a critical helpline for kids toys and electronics, then you’ll have an electronics company boasting of a sale starting on Xmas day...a staffed phone line, an open shop, etc.... one day a year closed won’t suit the grabby gob****es who money will be the singular motivation over the happiness and wellbeing of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If there were a few quid extra for doing it, I'd bite their hand off. Christmas is a holiday for kids. Missing Christmas day is no loss, I'm sure you'll have days off around the Christmas season which will give ample time to catch up with people who may not be usually around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

BDI wrote: »
    I’d just ring in sick.
    Customer service on Christmas Day, Jaysis.

Not at all suspicious, like the Blue Flu.

Couldn't give a fig about the day myself, tired old routine only for children, worked it before and would do so again.

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'd bite their hand off. Christmas is a holiday for kids. Missing Christmas day is no loss.

I’d disagree. Christmas is very much a day for being with your family and loved ones. It’s not ‘just’ about kids. My parents are in their late 70’s and early 80’s and there won’t be a whole heap of Christmases left in reality... if in the future I’m given an ultimatum in work.. ‘you ARE working Christmas day’ my reply will be.. ‘well you better start looking for my replacement because I won’t be’...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I’d disagree. Christmas is very much a day for being with your family and loved ones. It’s not ‘just’ about kids. My parents are in their late 70’s and early 80’s and there won’t be a whole heap of Christmases left in reality... if in the future I’m given an ultimatum in work.. ‘you ARE working Christmas day’ my reply will be.. ‘well you better start looking for my replacement because I won’t be’...

....and they’ll say that’s grand you’ll have to work your 2 weeks notice and we’ll have your final paycheck ready for you the day you finish.
    I assume if you need the A&E on Christmas Day you expect to find it open? And find it clean? And expect to be fed if you are admitted? And expect an ambulance to bring you there?
    I assume if there is an electricity outage on Christmas Day you’ll expect the fault to be fixed?
    I assume if you have a house fire you’ll expect the fire brigade to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'd be of the opinion that you could spend a different day with them over the Christmas season. Don't see the panic that it has to be the 25th. I'm sure you all appreciate spending time together, irrespective of the day.

splinter65 wrote: »
    ....and they’ll say that’s grand you’ll have to work your 2 weeks notice and we’ll have your final paycheck ready for you the day you finish.
    I assume if you need the A&E on Christmas Day you expect to find it open? And find it clean? And expect to be fed if you are admitted? And expect an ambulance to bring you there?
    I assume if there is an electricity outage on Christmas Day you’ll expect the fault to be fixed?
    I assume if you have a house fire you’ll expect the fire brigade to come?

Try and keep up...

I’ve already addressed the fact that ‘crucial services’ ie health, hospitals, care companies, Gardai, fire services must be working... its basically ‘preservation of life’ that makes them 100% necessary to be working. You know that from the moment you send in a cv, the same with one or two other professions... but there are others who work ONLY with a view to making money, who INSIST on staff being in to ‘make money’.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that you could spend a different day with them over the Christmas season. Don't see the panic that it has to be the 25th. I'm sure you all appreciate spending time together, irrespective of the day.

Not really, having your Christmas dinner together, opening presents etc. and every other tradition and enjoyable aspect to the unique day cannot be replicated, suggesting otherwise is a bit odd.

Advertisement