Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Work Christmas Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

The Jman wrote: »
    Just quit. If you're this lazy and lacking in work ethic go find a job that will let you dictate when you work.

How do you know the poster is "lazy and lacking in work ethic".For wanting to spend Christmas Day at home with his loved ones?This is Ireland and not China (so far anyway) where Christmas Day is a time we Irish all look forward to enjoy in peace and happiness with our loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

bmc58 wrote: »
    No.Could get you in bother being the day that's in it.Too obvious.

Too many roses and mince pies has given you the skits! Totally plausible!

Dav010 wrote: »
    For tech support, every day is a crucial day if you are contracted to provide it.

Definitely not true.How many people throughout this year have had no TV,no broadband for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But what about the people for whom Christmas Day is a special day/What do you suggest they do?

The same thing that Indian people who want to celebrate Dwaili with their family do: get a job which allows annual leave at that time, and book the leave.

(Or Chinese people / Chinese New Year, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Definitely not true.How many people throughout this year have had no TV,no broadband for days.

And not one of them happy about it. If a tv/bb has a service contract and service goes down, they would expect the contractor to have staff to deal with the problem.

Pretty silly example to be honest, if TV/bb went down for days at Christmas, there would be outrage.

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
      Too many roses and mince pies has given you the skits! Totally plausible!

You're on a slippery slope there.

The same thing that Indian people who want to celebrate Dwaili with their family do: get a job which allows annual leave at that time, and book the leave.

I frankly don't care what the Chinese ,Indian,iraqui,Eskimoes etc do with their special days.I know what we Irish traditionally do on Christmas Day.Spend time with family and loved ones.Christmas is special in Ireland.END OF.

And not one of them happy about it. If a tv/bb has a service contract and service goes down, they would expect the contractor to have staff to deal with the problem.

Pretty silly example to be honest, if TV/bb went down for days at Christmas, there would be outrage.

Try telling that to a computer that you get to ring to report a loss of signal.

I frankly don't care what the Chinese ,Indian,iraqui,Eskimoes etc do with their special days.I know what we Irish traditionally do on Christmas Day.Spend time with family and loved ones.Christmas is special in Ireland.END OF.

You understand that support services may not just be the domestic market? Equally, you understand that the company the service provider is providing support for may be providing services to other countries where no importance is attached to a Christian holiday?

If you accept a job which provides services 365 days a year, it is very immature to then complain that you are rostered at Christmas. Surely you have enough mental acuity to understand that you may have to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Many companies have a god awful customer/repair service all year round, never mind at Christmas. :rolleyes: But sure, you just gotta get on with life.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There was power outage in our town a few years ago on Christmas day. Should ESB just ignore it because it's a holiday for Irish and fix it on 27th? I like time off over Christmas but some basic services have to be provided and for some it comes with a job. Just because almost everyone is of it doesn't mean that everyone has a right to be off work and neither it means everyone wants to be off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

bmc58 wrote:
      How do you know the poster is "lazy and lacking in work ethic".For wanting to spend Christmas Day at home with his loved ones?This is Ireland and not China (so far anyway) where Christmas Day is a time we Irish all look forward to enjoy in peace and happiness with our loved ones.

You're in a job where you know you might have to work Xmas day and then you whinge when you have to work it? Screams a lazy worker who only works when they want to to me. If you don't want the job then quit, don't whinge about it!!

Yes,and an outage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Early in my career.... ended up in Retail. The first Xmas had us opening on Stephens day for a Sale and all staff expected in.
      That put an end to my time in Retail.... I was onto another a manufacturing job by April and we closed for 2 weeks at Xmas.

Mow tell my kids to AVOID Retail at all costs for jobs....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is now, a lot more businesses are choosing to operate on Christmas Day. It’s putting choice out of reach for many people...

If I work technical support for a dishwasher manufacturer I’m thinking.. “great, no Christmas Day”... bosses think... “god it willl look bad if a machine breaks down and hand washing is needed... let’s stick a couple of people on the phones... “. Customer at home thinking... “bastard machine, sure look I’ll ring them tomorrow and get on with enjoying the day”

You’ll always get the odd attention seeking fûckwit who will LOVE being able to get involved talking to somebody on Christmas Day, makes them feel a bit special.

Strumms wrote: »
      Problem is now, a lot more businesses are choosing to operate on Christmas Day. It’s putting choice out of reach for many people...

If I work technical support for a dishwasher manufacturer I’m thinking.. “great, no Christmas Day”... bosses think... “god it willl look bad if a machine breaks down and hand washing is needed... let’s stick a couple of people on the phones... “. Customer at home thinking... “bastard machine, sure look I’ll ring them tomorrow and get on with enjoying the day”

You’ll always get the odd attention seeking fûckwit who will LOVE being able to get involved talking to somebody on Christmas Day, makes them feel a bit special.

A lot more businesses operate on Christmas because a lot more people rely on their services. It is too simple to think the business/service world comes to a standstill on Christmas Day.

But as others have pointed out, if your workplace operates 365 days a year, and you know that when you accept the job offer, then you accept that you could have to work it.

A lot more businesses operate on Christmas because a lot more people rely on their services.

A lot more businesses choose to operate on Christmas Day because a lot more businesses want to normalize doing business on Christmas Day. Nothing to do with it being a necessity but everything to do with making money.

A lot more businesses choose to operate on Christmas Day because a lot more businesses want to normalize doing business on Christmas Day. Nothing to do with it being a necessity but everything to do with making money.

Yes it is about making money, that is what businesses do, but if you know that when you take the job, then why would it come as a shock?

Again, as usual, you make all kinds of silly assumptions, you do not know whether it is a necessity. It may very well be a necessity to fulfill the terms of a service contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But someone has to work Christmas day in the OP workplace.
      The OP missed out on the opportunity to take leave.
      The employer is "offering a good rate of pay and bonus" (Ops words) for working that day.

But the OP has decided that after all the above they don't want to work Christmas day.

With all the above information available, it seems that the OP is actually lazy and lacks a work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Why on earth would they want to do that - as others have pointed out, it costs a fortune to have staff working on Christmas Day; I'm sure companies only do it if it absolutely can't be avoided.

• Advertisement
    • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

But someone has to work Christmas day in the OP workplace.
      The OP missed out on the opportunity to take leave.
      The employer is "offering a good rate of pay and bonus" (Ops words) for working that day.

But the OP has decided that after all the above they don't want to work Christmas day.

With all the above information available, it seems that the OP is actually lazy and lacks a work ethic.
      Lazy and lacks work ethic because they don't want to work Christmas day? What a load of nonsense.

No amount of money will take me away from family on Christmas day, you might have a wad of cash in your arse pocket but family time and memories mean more to some people. Couldn't care less about religions that don't celebrate it, I do so fcuk them for one day. The world won't end.

Lazy and lacks work ethic because they don't want to work Christmas day? What a load of nonsense.

No amount of money will take me away from family on Christmas day, you might have a wad of cash in your arse pocket but family time and memories mean more to some people. Couldn't care less about religions that don't celebrate it, I do so fcuk them for one day. The world won't end.

If you feel so strongly about it, why accept a job that means you may have to work Christmas Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

Seeing as you feel so strongly about Christmas day would you accept a job where there's a good chance you'd have to work it? Or would you just take the job and stab your colleagues in the back by ringing in sick and putting them under pressure?

El Tarangu wrote: »
      Why on earth would they want to do that - as others have pointed out, it costs a fortune to have staff working on Christmas Day; I'm sure companies only do it if it absolutely can't be avoided.

Simple... it’s going to be a ‘cost’ for definite but its going to be a big sell...they can have their sales people, sit down and look customers in the eye and tell them... “here at 345 solutions we value your business, not just when it suits us but when it suits YOU. That’s why we have 24 hour, 365 days a year tech support... that’s an industry first and is the foundation of our commitment and guarantee to you our valued customers”. That phone might never ring once but to be able to boast this level of support is going to be a lure to attract custom, forget about the cost... the cost will be offset by the business it attracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

ive worked christmas day the past three years and ill probably work it again this year.
      i honestly dont see the fuss.
      maybe if people have small kids it might matter but other than that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The irony of people going on about how it’s such an important family day that OP shouldn’t have to miss and how he should just call in sick.. someone else will lose their important family day at the expense of OP doing that. And it won’t be his employer or his boss that he’ll be inconveniencing.
      His Christmas is no more important nor special than his co-workers, they deserve their day off and they shouldn’t have to cover OP just cause he doesn’t feel like turning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As more and more Irish people reject Catholicism, some are atheist and likely to retain Christmas Day as a family celebration.

But some are joining other religions that actively reject Christmas Day as anything special. This includes some Christian churches, who only worship on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sheamusD12

bearclaire wrote: »
      Hi can anyone tell me if Employers Can force staff to work Christmas Day
      I’m part time 22 - 26 hours a week
      There offering a good rate of pay and bonus But I personally don’t want to work regardless and just wanted to know my rights
      Thanks

no. its a public holiday

Google the organisation of working time act.

do not use annual leave to cover this day.

if it comes to an argument you will win.

sheamusD12 wrote: »
      no. its a public holiday

Google the organisation of working time act.

do not use annual leave to cover this day.

if it comes to an argument you will win.

Actually yes.

Though Christmas Day is a public holiday, you can be made work it as long as the employer gives you the required public holiday benefit.

If you argued that an employer had no right to make you work, you would lose.

You are right if you meant that it is not required to count as one of your accrued leave days if you do not work it.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 20 sheamusD12

Actually yes.

Though Christmas Day is a public holiday, you can be made work it as long as the employer gives you the required public holiday benefit.

If you argued that an employer had no right to make you work, you would lose.

You are right if you meant that it is not required to count as one of your accrued leave days if you do not work it.

I know iam right. Some messed up morals on here confusing itself with law.

Advertisement