Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced Work Christmas Day

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

sheamusD12 wrote: »
    I know iam right. Some messed up morals on here confusing itself with law.

I am not sure what this means, but your point about not being able to be forced to work Christmas Day is wrong, legally, there is no confusion about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sheamusD12

Dav010 wrote: »
    I am not sure what this means, but your point about not being able to be forced to work Christmas Day is wrong, legally, there is no confusion about that.

Ah there is. It would appear many believe they are required to use up annual leave for the day.

It would appear people are not aware workers are entitled to in writing what is happening and how they will be reimbursed. If they do not get this in adequate time they can make the decision to take the day themselves and are entitled to get paid for it

Ah there is. It would appear many believe they are required to use up annual leave for the day.

It would appear people are not aware workers are entitled to in writing what is happening and how they will be reimbursed. If they do not get this in adequate time they can make the decision to take the day themselves and are entitled to get paid for it

I am not sure where you see a poster saying Christmas Day must be taken as an annual leave day, which post are you referring to?

The op posted that rate of pay is good if he/she works which indicates that the employer is abiding by PH benefits regs.

You are entitled to notifications in writing if you request it, but an employer can notify employees of working arrangements such as by rostering.

I am not sure where you see a poster saying Christmas Day must be taken as an annual leave day, which post are you referring to?

The op posted that rate of pay is good if he/she works which indicates that the employer is abiding by PH benefits regs.

You are entitled to notifications in writing if you request it, but an employer can notify employees of working arrangements such as by rostering.

The opening poster is entitled to an additional day's pay. As you quoted they stated the rate of pay is good.

The two are not the same.

A worker is entitled to be told in writing how they are going to be reimbursed for working a public holiday.

A roster is a schedule for when people are required to work

The opening poster is entitled to an additional day's pay. As you quoted they stated the rate of pay is good.

A worker is entitled to be told in writing how they are going to be reimbursed for working a public holiday.

A roster is a schedule for when people are required to work

Actually the op said “There offering a good rate of pay and bonus”.

The op might confirm, but that certainly sounds like PH benefit.

A roster for PH is written confirmation of working arrangements for that day, the op has obviously been informed that additional pay is the benefit.

I’m sorry, I’m struggling to see what point you are arguing, and I still can’t find a post that references Christmas Day having to be taken as annual leave. There are 2 similar threads going, is it in the other one?

• Advertisement

Actually the op said “There offering a good rate of pay and bonus”.

The op might confirm, but that certainly sounds like PH benefit.

A roster for PH is written confirmation of working arrangements for that day, the op has obviously been informed that additional pay is the benefit.

I’m sorry, I’m struggling to see what point you are arguing, and I still can’t find a post that references Christmas Day having to be taken as annual leave. There are 2 similar threads going, is it in the other one?

Perhaps the op will clarify. If it is and your assumption is correct then your argument stands.

If your assumption is wrong then your argument falls.

The sixth and seventh post on page 1 recommend al is applied for on a public holiday. Which we both agree is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So OP

What happened in the end ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

BDI wrote: »
    I’d just ring in sick.
    Customer service on Christmas Day, Jaysis.

The ESB have to maintain it for power outages. Once we had no power for 3 days over christmas one year. Luckily the neighbours were on gas and cooked our dinner. Any other customer service for anything other than essential services is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any other customer service for anything other than essential services is a joke

Even if you are providing customer service to countries where they don't celebrate Christmas? Or for products which get high usage at Christmas time?

I'd say that the idea of all-of-society shutting down at the same time (for a holiday that most pepole don't believe in) is the joke: we should be able to make sure everyone gets adequate holidays without doing a complete shut-down of businesses.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The ESB have to maintain it for power outages. Once we had no power for 3 days over christmas one year. Luckily the neighbours were on gas and cooked our dinner. Any other customer service for anything other than essential services is a joke

I used work in tech support. Christmas day was the busiest day of the year.

This year I had emails that had to be dealt with Stephen's day

Global companies don't celebrate religious holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Stheno wrote: »

Global companies don't celebrate religious holidays

They don’t, correct. They celebrate profit.

In order to facilitate this...It’s in their interest to attempt to put onto their staff that they, their happiness and wellbeing and that of their loved ones are secondary, if you want a reminder as to why they’ll say.. ‘look at your payslip’...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Even if you are providing customer service to countries where they don't celebrate Christmas? Or for products which get high usage at Christmas time?

I'd say that the idea of all-of-society shutting down at the same time (for a holiday that most pepole don't believe in) is the joke: we should be able to make sure everyone gets adequate holidays without doing a complete shut-down of businesses.
    Bull****. It's a national holiday. Apart from essential services internally, the MNCs can go to be ****ed. This is our culture. Not simply Christian. It's Ireland. I've often rang UK or US companies and the lines were closed. Maybe MNC culture has changed that. So **** MNCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Iv worked Christmas days as an engineer for a multinational or 2, one year very far from home as well.

No big deal, it was in the contract when I signed it. If I don't like it I'll get a job elsewhere.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Bull****. It's a national holiday. Apart from essential services internally, the MNCs can go to be ****ed. This is our culture. Not simply Christian. It's Ireland. I've often rang UK or US companies and the lines were closed. Maybe MNC culture has changed that. So **** MNCs.

Business services run on other public holidays, there should be no religious considerations in the workplace lest it be considered discriminatory. As has been posted earlier, all religions celebrate different holy days. Yes this is Ireland, a country that punches above its weight in global IT, businesses here would not be impressed if their service was down on Thanksgiving, a day which means nothing to us, so US companies services remain open even though it is their most celebrated holiday.

Strumms wrote: »
    They don’t, correct. They celebrate profit.

In order to facilitate this...It’s in their interest to attempt to put onto their staff that they, their happiness and wellbeing and that of their loved ones are secondary, if you want a reminder as to why they’ll say.. ‘look at your payslip’...

All businesses celebrate profit, it is essential for their continued existence. Without it, Strumms doesn’t get a wage slip to look at.

Advertisement