Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a phone line reinstalled

• 20-10-2019 8:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Asked this in a bargain alerts thread but this may be a better place for the question.

I ordered Eir earlier this year and told them I used to have a phone line and it was torn out during a renovation. They said no problem, we'll install a new one. KN engineer came out and couldn't locate the original cable so said he couldn't do anything and Eir would have to send a team out to dig up the road etc to feed a new line in but when I rang Eir they said they couldn't so I had to cancel the order and stay with Virgin.

How do I go about getting a new line into an existing house(South Dublin)? I spoke to Eir sales during the week and got a young guy who just kept saying 'yea no bother, we'll install the new line wtihin 3 days' but he wasn't listening to or appreciating the actual details - would have thought opening the road etc wouldn't be turned around that quickly.

Appreciate any help as I hate being tied to Virgin as my only option and would love to break my contract and move to Eir for Apple TV. Thanks guys,sorry for the essay :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

breeno wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Asked this in a bargain alerts thread but this may be a better place for the question.

I ordered Eir earlier this year and told them I used to have a phone line and it was torn out during a renovation. They said no problem, we'll install a new one. KN engineer came out and couldn't locate the original cable so said he couldn't do anything and Eir would have to send a team out to dig up the road etc to feed a new line in but when I rang Eir they said they couldn't so I had to cancel the order and stay with Virgin.

How do I go about getting a new line into an existing house(South Dublin)? I spoke to Eir sales during the week and got a young guy who just kept saying 'yea no bother, we'll install the new line wtihin 3 days' but he wasn't listening to or appreciating the actual details - would have thought opening the road etc wouldn't be turned around that quickly.

Appreciate any help as I hate being tied to Virgin as my only option and would love to break my contract and move to Eir for Apple TV. Thanks guys,sorry for the essay :eek:

A phone line for TV?
    Are you close to the exchange or a cabinet?
    Can you get Eir or SIRO Fibre to the Home?

From what you posted you are not interested in a phone line at all, but broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭breeno

A phone line for TV?
    Are you close to the exchange or a cabinet?
    Can you get Eir or SIRO Fibre to the Home?

From what you posted you are not interested in a phone line at all, but broadband.
    Thanks for your reply.

Sorry yes it would be for broadband but would need a phone line to get it. I’m about 75metres from a cabinet so would hope to get close to full 100mbs but unfortunately I’m not in a siro or gigabit area so limited to max 100mb through the phone line.

Have you had experience getting a new line into an existing house? The line comes in underground so no sign of any cables externally unfortunately and all internal cables were torn out a number of years ago so we’d need to start again from scratch. Is that something a providers might provide when signing up to a new deal or would I need to deals with open eir or similar to get this type of work done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm unclear why you are telling the people on the phone about what extra work may need to be done. Would you not let the installer come out and let him make the decision about what may or may not be required? Although if roads do need to be excavated you're likely looking at months if they even agree to do the work in the first place.

You can't deal with open eir directly. You deal with an ISP who in turn deal with open eir.

I take your point, I'm probably going into too much detail with the sales guys, I just wanted to try get ahead of the situation and initiate getting the 'right' people out as soon as possible. Last time I had 2 installers out only to be told they weren't the right crew needed for the job.

Thanks for the advice around it taking months rather than days/weeks to sort out a retrofit like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Since 2016 AFL changes OpenEir dont have to give you a line.

You/previous occupant messed it up - up to you to fix it. Find the drop/clear the duct then call em.

ED E wrote: »
    Since 2016 AFL changes OpenEir dont have to give you a line.

You/previous occupant messed it up - up to you to fix it. Find the drop/clear the duct then call em.

Oh dear. So I could be screwed.

Last KN engineer was sound and he looked for the line for nearly an hour to no avail. He thought it must have been put in underground when the house was built. So maybe taking up floorboards is the next option. We’re looking to do some renovations next year so that may be a good time for a bit of investigating.

Presume there isn’t any other option or old fashioned solution to finding a phoneline that I’m missing?!

Thanks for all the replies folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Seems like the phone line must come into your house underground, so the way to find it would be the old fashioned way - start digging :) be it that in your house, or along the side of your house or along the side of your land in the area you think the phone line might be. If you can find it, then you could re-run from that point to the location in your house you want it.

Advertisement