Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti social behavior Balbriggan?

Options
  • 20-10-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Hi

im currently living with the folks still in balbriggan in an estate called westbrook.

im looking to move out on my own with the girlfriend and looking at apartments within my price range generally up to €175k.

i see some at decent prices but heard some rumors of anti social behavior in estates up near dunnes stores/castlemill area. Id like to know if such are just rumors or if there is merit to them?

Balbriggan in generally seems to get a lot of bad presss in media but im leaving here years and find the town in general to be fine.

Would anybody with first hand experience be able to comment on what living in below estates is like at present?

Castlemill
    Hamlet lane
    Trimilstown
    Chieftans Way
    Clonuske

Cardy rock is also an estate that seems quite affordable.

I have stopped by the off licence the odd saturday night in castlemill and whilst sometimes see groups of youths hanging around to be fair i didnt see them causing any harm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

My advice would be don’t buy in Balbriggan and there is a reason why prices are low. The place is getting worse and you’ll feel bad when you realise the amount of people in the neighbourhood who live for free in the same type of house or apartment as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

My advice would be don’t buy in Balbriggan and there is a reason why prices are low. The place is getting worse and you’ll feel bad when you realise the amount of people in the neighbourhood who live for free in the same type of house or apartment as you!

What part of balbriggan are you living in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Free, as in they pay no rent? Really?

I know what goes on in the town I have a good information network and I observe the streets

I know what goes on in the town I have a good information network and I observe the streets

So you don't live in balbriggan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Balbriggan aside, i would advise you to live with your girlfriend first in a rental fir at least 6 momths to test your relationship before you dive into taking on a mortgage etc.

I do and many generations of my family have come from here too. just saying it as I see it. From my information, observations and analysis i have concluded that Balbriggan is now not a place to purchase a house/apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I do and many generations of my family have come from here too. just saying it as I see it. From my information, observations and analysis i have concluded that Balbriggan is now not a place to purchase a house/apartment.

what observations in particular? i have been living in balbriggan 20 years and grew up here since i was a teenager. I cant say i notice there to be much problems in the town. I do see some groups of youths around mcdonalds, tesco, train station but i dont see them causing much trouble. I probably would have been standing around in a group of teenagers in my younger years and wasnt causing any bother.

Are you taking about about actual anti social behaviour or is it just you see the likes of the above and think its become a kip?

Id genuinely like to know as where i live in westbrook it has generally always been quite quite without issues.

Wesser wrote: »
    Balbriggan aside, i would advise you to live with your girlfriend first in a rental fir at least 6 momths to test your relationship before you dive into taking on a mortgage etc.

Thanks but ive been saving a while now and no in a decent paying job so planning to get a mortgage in my own name. If i can save hard abd clear mortgage in a few years we would probably then get a joint mortgage together down the line.

lightspeed wrote: »
    what observations in particular? i have been living in balbriggan 20 years and grew up here since i was a teenager. I cant say i notice there to be much problems in the town. I do see some groups of youths around mcdonalds, tesco, train station but i dont see them causing much trouble. I probably would have been standing around in a group of teenagers in my younger years and wasnt causing any bother.

Are you taking about about actual anti social behaviour or is it just you see the likes of the above and think its become a kip?

Id genuinely like to know as where i live in westbrook it has generally always been quite quite without issues.

If you genuinely live in the town you should know the story. A lot of people feel bad that they are stuck here so they go into denial and say all is well in the Brig to make themselves feel better. It’s okay I understand and genuinely feel for people in your situation.

• Advertisement

If you genuinely live in the town you should know the story. A lot of people feel bad that they are stuck here so they go into denial and say all is well in the Brig to make themselves feel better. It’s okay I understand and genuinely feel for people in your situation.

No i dont know the story and the fact that you are unwilling or uncapable of giving any examples to warrant your opinion suggests you are not genuinely living in the town.

Im not in denial, ive not personally experienced any issues or seen much to conclude all is not well.

Some estates are always going to be worse than others and im trying specifically to identify the ones with higher risk of anti social behaviour. Hence i listed a number of estates im looking at in my price range.

lightspeed wrote: »
    No i dont know the story and the fact that you are unwilling or uncapable of giving any examples to warrant your opinion suggests you are not genuinely living in the town.

Im not in denial, ive not personally experienced any issues or seen much to conclude all is not well.

Some estates are always going to be worse than others and im trying specifically to identify the ones with higher risk of anti social behaviour. Hence i listed a number of estates im looking at in my price range.

All the estates you mention have problems car break ins, drug dealing, anti social gatherings. To me it sounds like you have worked hard to get a deposit and get your finances right for mortgage approval so good to make an informed decision. Join the Balbriggan Connect Facebook to get some more information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

I have a good information network and I observe the streets

The_Equalizer.jpg

squawker wrote: »
    The_Equalizer.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just to chip in, I'm living in Dun Saithne 9 years come March next year and thankfully haven't experienced any anti-social nehaviour. I love my little part of it. The neighbours (apart from one awkward one) are friendly and stay out chatting during the summer evenings. The kids have a great area to play in as there's no through traffic and you'll always see them out- which is great.
    In regards to Balbriggan itself, I'm quite happy living here. The town is great to commute from and having the beach is fantastic, plus there's great countryside not too far from your door.

As someone who lives here and bought a very reasonably priced house in one of the newer estates, it's fine. Every village, town, city across the country has wonderful estates to live in and the odd one or two you wouldn't want to. This town is no different to any of them.

I'll also add that I grew up in a council estate as a kid. It was full of lovely people who were ordinary decent folk who all had jobs and raised families. As council tenants (before buying their home when the opportunity arose) my parents both had jobs and worked hard and didn't take anything from the state. Having a council tenant as a neighbour doesn't necessarily mean they are a lazy good for nothing looking to live off of the state.

Best advice I would give you OP is to go to the estates you're looking at, talk to the people there, tell them you are considering buying there and let that guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is a group of teenagers that seem to get a lot of press. They have caused some anti social behaviour but they aren't responsible for a tenth of what boards members make out. There are several groups of teenagers causing problems on the DART line. These groups come from blanchardstown, malahide, lusk, balbriggan and many other places. When ever there is trouble the balbriggan group get blamed. This makes it difficult to know exactly how bad they are or not.

I think you will be better off asking locals in different parts of balbriggan. It is the fastest growing town in Ireland and has just about every nationality living there. The "foreigners" would be enough to put off some people living there. Different nationality doesn't bother me. I live in Dublin and work in Dublin. I think around 20 percent of Dubs are originally from outside of Ireland. The only difficulty I've had with some are their accents. Im autistic and genuinely struggle with Pakistan /Indian accent. I have never encountered anti social behaviour from non Irish but plenty from true dubs.

In short, ask locals. Go to different pubs and ask there. You'll hear stories if there are any to be heard.

I'll also add that I grew up in a council estate as a kid. It was full of lovely people who were ordinary decent folk who all had jobs and raised families. As council tenants (before buying their home when the opportunity arose) my parents both had jobs and worked hard and didn't take anything from the state. Having a council tenant as a neighbour doesn't necessarily mean they are a lazy good for nothing looking to live off of the state.

Isn't it funny. Thread after thread talk about the lazy unemployed who make up 100 percent of social housing. My experience of social housing is like yours. Hard working families trying to get on in life. Obviously there are some exceptions but park your car at the entrance to any council estate at 6am & you'll see a steady flow of people leaving for work.

Just to chip in, I'm living in Dun Saithne 9 years come March next year and thankfully haven't experienced any anti-social nehaviour. I love my little part of it. The neighbours (apart from one awkward one) are friendly and stay out chatting during the summer evenings. The kids have a great area to play in as there's no through traffic and you'll always see them out- which is great.
    In regards to Balbriggan itself, I'm quite happy living here. The town is great to commute from and having the beach is fantastic, plus there's great countryside not too far from your door.

As someone who lives here and bought a very reasonably priced house in one of the newer estates, it's fine. Every village, town, city across the country has wonderful estates to live in and the odd one or two you wouldn't want to. This town is no different to any of them.

Best advice I would give you OP is to go to the estates you're looking at, talk to the people there, tell them you are considering buying there and let that guide you.

Plenty of anti social behaviour up there and some people associated with criminality living there aswell. Don’t be trying to sucker the poor lad into buying a house in Balbriggan with his hard earned deposit and mortgage. A recent example I heard is houses on sale in Taylor’s hill for over 450k while some property fund bought up loads of the houses there and then renting them to the council for 1800 per month on a long term basis. So it’s likely someone there paying a big mortgage could end up living beside someone who is getting a similar house for free. There is no equality in that situation.

Plenty of anti social behaviour up there and some people associated with criminality living there aswell. Don’t be trying to sucker the poor lad into buying a house in Balbriggan with his hard earned deposit and mortgage. A recent example I heard is houses on sale in Taylor’s hill for over 450k while some property fund bought up loads of the houses there and then renting them to the council for 1800 per month on a long term basis. So it’s likely someone there paying a big mortgage could end up living beside someone who is getting a similar house for free. There is no equality in that situation.

I've never heard of anyone getting a house for free. I've never met anyone in a council house not paying rent.

How would I go about getting a house for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Dude is talking crap like so many before him. Balbriggan has improved greatly in the last 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone getting a house for free. I've never met anyone in a council house not paying rent.

If you’re on social welfare and using that money to pay a small rent in a council house you are in fact getting a free house

You are doing nothing to earn that money and thus receiving the house for free.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong just pointing out the truth.

You're disagreeing with someone who has lived there for 9 years. And then giving examples from "what you've heard". From who, someone buying pudding in browns butchers?

Love a bit of hearsay.

Every single estate in the country has elements of criminality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

1. Go on the dole. Don't have to exchange time or effort for money. Money is given free.
    2. Get council house and receive below market rent for the rest of your life even if you get a job.
    3. Give small portion of monies to council.
    4. Profit.

Despite you not meeting any, there seems to be a few not paying their rent.
    Arrears by social housing tenants have doubled in the last eight years, leaving councils owed a staggering €65m in unpaid rent.

But while thousands of households are under repeated default warnings every year, only a tiny number of cases are pursued to court and just a handful of evictions are sought as councils are also responsible for housing people if they become homeless.

A leading expert on housing policy says it may now be time to provide rent-free social housing in certain areas.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/council-tenants-owe-65m-in-unpaid-rent-437052.html

Even those that do pay pay a pittence relative to their neighbour. An acquaintance of mine - older lady - probably pushing 60, pays €80 a month for a house on Cork St in Dublin. Average rent for workers is €2000. This lady wouldn't be bone idle though - she does do some work - but its cash in hand. Enables her a couple of holidays etc.

Being real here - thats not to say she's minted - but by not working (officially) and basically paying nothing in rent - she can live a life well beyond what her 'income' on paper would suggest.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/average-monthly-cost-of-renting-dublin-home-passes-2-000-1.3991197

lola85 wrote:
    If you’re on social welfare and using that money to pay a small rent in a council house you are in fact getting a free house

You pay rent yet its free???

You either pay rent or its free it can't be both. They must have thought you this in school?

Diceicle wrote:
    1. Go on the dole. Don't have to exchange time or effort for money. Money is given free. 2. Get council house and receive below market rent for the rest of your life even if you get a job. 3. Give small portion of monies to council. 4. Profit.

So everyone in social housing is on the dole? You do realise that the vast majority of people in social housing actually are in full time education or work? A tiny minority of people who live in social housing aren't working.

If you think before you post your posts won't look so foolish.

You either pay rent or its free it can't be both. They must have thought you this in school?

Look your receive that money for free.

Stop trying to spin it any other way.

Actually you’re right nothing is free as someone else has to pay for it thought taxation.

So everyone in social housing is on the dole? You do realise that the vast majority of people in social housing actually are in full time education or work? A tiny minority of people who live in social housing aren't working.

If you think before you post your posts won't look so foolish.

That’s not what you claimed though.

You said no one gets a free house.

No one said everyone is social housing is on the dole.

Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It’s more honest to say that families who are entirely/partially reliant on the state to house them have their SW allowances and benefits adjusted accordingly in order to meet that cost.

lola85 wrote:
    You said no one gets a free house.

No one gets a free house in this country. Your warped explanation speaks volumes about your tunnel vision

The more you post it makes it easier for op to decide not to listen to you or take your posts seriously. I believe OP is looking for genuine advice and not made up Trump like "facts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No one gets a free house in this country. Your warped explanation speaks volumes about your tunnel vision

The more you post it makes it easier for op to decide not to listen to you or take your posts seriously. I believe OP is looking for genuine advice and not made up Trump like "facts"

Families who don’t generate “any” income to house themselves from their own endeavors for any reason, be it illness or disability or laziness or old age, and who are thus entirely reliant on state handouts, are not “paying” rent.
    Their SW payments are adjusted appropriately to account for their housing.
    Families who don’t generate “enough” income themselves through not being in enough hours or well paid enough employment to meet their families needs are subsidized in their housing by the state.
    That’s the most honest way to frame it.

Advertisement