Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extend wifi

• 20-10-2019 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I have a large area to cover. I have an existing Vodafone router in attic. Off that I have an ethernet cable down to one room which I need to have one wired connection to and WiFi to the surrounding area. What's the best way to do this.? Also I need to extend wireless to a room at other end of the building but I don't have ethernet cable running to this area. Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Ethernet over power cables is a good option - used it to bring a connection into front room when Mrs made it clear I wasn't running anymore cables around the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I have used those before in a different building with mixed results. I know I did use a router before to create a second network which worked but not sure if this is the best way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

Depends on what you want. I'm using them just to feed a TV for Netflix etc, maximum speed required is ~20mbps and they work perfectly. I guess if you're looking for high speed file transfers for large projects then they may not suit.

Simplest solution though rather than getting in routing / meshing solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I just set up an older router as an access point and I'm getting 30mbps as opposed to gateway router as 46mbs. They are side by side. Would this be normal drop off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

I have a large area to cover. I have an existing Vodafone router in attic. Off that I have an ethernet cable down to one room which I need to have one wired connection to and WiFi to the surrounding area. What's the best way to do this.? Also I need to extend wireless to a room at other end of the building but I don't have ethernet cable running to this area. Any ideas.

One or two story? If one story is this room directly under the attic? If so you could just run an Ethernet cable accross the attic and try leaving an access point in the attic and see if it provides signal to the room below.

• Advertisement
Advertisement