Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Arghus wrote: »
    Neutral here. People saying United should be dissapointed after the game must have seen a different game to me.

They played well in the first half and Liverpool were below par, but after the break Liverpool totally dominated and the goal was coming for a long while before it actually arrived - fair enough United defended well for most of the half and made it difficult for Liverpool, but I think Liverpool well deserved the equaliser and if they had another 10 minutes to do it in, I think they probably would got that winning goal. United were hanging on for the final minutes of that match, so I don't know how people can say United were unlucky today.

2nd half... Liverpool were much ado about nothing, crossing from well before the 18 yard line which was fodder for Maguire. I don't remember DDG making a save in the 2nd half prior to conceding the goal.

I do remember united looking dangerous on 3 occasions.
    1. Rashford
    2. Fred getting in behind
    3. Fred almost curling one into the corner.

Granted when pool scored in the 87TH MINUTE they looked like they could have gone on and won it.

But lets be honest, having possession accounts for **** all in football. Bayern beat Barcelona 7-0 on aggregate having about 30% of the ball over two legs. Liverpool did nothing in possession and never looked like doing anything until united gifted them a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From The Premier League.

"The starting point for a phase of play that leads to a goal or penalty incident will be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."

So according to that,it was incorrect for VAR to go back to the Lindelof tackle as there was another phase of play after it.
    They made the rules and can't even follow them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

cournioni wrote: »
    United? If you’re getting into that, then you can say Lallana was lucky to be on the pitch to score the goal after his two footed lunge (no VAR for it either).

https://twitter.com/solskjaerboss/status/1186080253732642816?s=21

LMAO

Fake news is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

FitzShane wrote: »
    A nice clean 1-0 away win after a scoreless first half with no contentious decisions or blaming referees or VAR would be nice. Just one team outplaying the other.

well that didn't happen anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

From The Premier League.

"The starting point for a phase of play that leads to a goal or penalty incident will be limited to the immediate phase and not necessarily go back to when the attacking team gained possession.

Other factors for consideration will be the ability of the defence to reset and the momentum of the attack."

So according to that,it was incorrect for VAR to go back to the Lindelof tackle as there was another phase of play after it.
    They made the rules and can't even follow them.

United got the ball and scored within 3 seconds. I'd argue 3 seconds is the immediate phase.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    United got the ball and scored within 3 seconds. I'd argue 3 seconds is the immediate phase.

Blistering counter-attacking, you got to love it.

I also loved the phase of play where Rashford blitzed VVD and shouldered a 6,3 14.5 stone man to the ground.

I also loved the phase of play where Rashford blitzed VVD and shouldered a 5,3 14.5 stone man to the ground.

I'm not arguing about the goal, Rashford movement especially was very good. I thought it was a foul (you see them given every game) but I knew it wouldn't be overturned.

Are you referring to out on the sideline close to the camera in the first half? Looked like VVD slipped on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I also loved the phase of play where Rashford blitzed VVD and shouldered a 5,3 14.5 stone man to the ground.

Shaqiri wasn’t even playing.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm not arguing about the goal, Rashford movement especially was very good. I thought it was a foul (you see them given every game) but I knew it wouldn't be overturned.

Are you referring to out on the sideline close to the camera in the first half? Looked like VVD slipped on that one.

I've also seen them not given. I do believe that Origi didn't help himself when he threw himself to the ground rolling around clutching an ankle that wasn't touched. I don't doubt there was contact on the back calf, its clear there was, I'd question if it was enough to go down. And perhaps, Atkinson did too.

Shaqiri wasn’t even playing.

Fat fingers, edited now. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rob316 wrote: »
    My issue with VAR in England is why won't the on field referee go up to the pitch side monitor and review it themselves? It was heavily used in the champions league.

The Premier League will fall into line on UEFA / FIFAs use of VAR in time. It’s just English exceptionalism at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Red for you all

giphy.gif

In your eyes ya it is

I've also seen them not given. I do believe that Origi didn't help himself when he threw himself to the ground rolling around clutching an ankle that wasn't touched. I don't doubt there was contact on the back calf, its clear there was, I'd question if it was enough to go down. And perhaps, Atkinson did too.

By the letter of the law it is a free. Tackle from behind, contact on the player and no touch on the ball. It's soft but it is a foul but you wouldn't see someone going down for it in a Sunday League game.

Either way it doesn't matter, another draw in the "biggest game" in the PL. When in reality it was the usual poor enough game although not as bad as Red Monday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Red for you all

giphy.gif
    MD1990 wrote: »
    he is protecting himself from Rojo potentially kicking the ball at his head possibly.

Remember when Ferguson said Williams could have killed Van Persie years ago. Similar to that.

This 'challenge' wasn't even mentioned at the time and rightfully so. It's a non-incident. No lunge, no two footer. Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This 'challenge' wasn't even mentioned at the time and rightfully so. It's a non-incident. No lunge, no two footer. Carry on.

The did say there were some afters as in Rojo blasting the ball into Lallana and Bobby then having a go a Rojo for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

United? If you’re getting into that, then you can say Lallana was lucky to be on the pitch to score the goal after his two footed lunge (no VAR for it either).

By lunge you mean "falling over"?

That's the biggest pile of nothing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

noodler wrote: »
    At least two yellows (Rojo and Young), perhaps three, should have been dished out, it was one of the worst refereeing displays I've seen for some time tbh.

Not sure why you are multiposting in every thread stating the contrary to be honest..

I have posted about 5 posts total about the game after months of barely posting here. Please dont try to moderate here or try to discourage people from posting. Especially when it is just a difference of opinion and can be debated by everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The did say there were some afters as in Rojo blasting the ball into Lallana and Bobby then having a go a Rojo for doing it.

:pac:

Lad if you ref every United game the match would not last 5 minutes. You have given liverpool 10 penalties and 5 United players be sent off within first 5 minutes

Every single match thread between these 2 you start that crap, without fail. It's hilarious to read

Dont stop

:pac:

Lad if you ref every United game the match would not last 5 minutes. You have given liverpool 10 penalties and 5 United players be sent off within first 5 minutes

Every single match thread between these 2 you start that crap, without fail. It's hilarious to read

Dont stop

What did Lallana do wrong there?

He was fouled by Young and protecting himself from Rojo blasting the ball? Did he touch Rojo? No he did not, only one foul in the clip and that was from Young.

This is such a bad post, hilarious really when you see the full clip.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    This is such a bad post, hilarious really when you see the full clip.

Sure when you see the full clip there are those still saying Lallana fouled Rojo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

There's nothing in that Lallana incident.

Sure when you see the full clip there are those still saying Lallana fouled Rojo

Yeah, it’s just terrible posting all round but hey ho.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s just terrible posting all round but hey ho.

Maybe I’m going blind but where are these posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

You are reading something that you want to see, not what was actually written, 1 person said that Lallana lunged at Rojo. No one said he fouled Rojo.

Maybe I’m going blind but where are these posts?

Right here...

Stills and a cut off video. Desperate stuff altogether.
    Trigger wrote: »
    You are reading something that you want to see, not what was actually written, 1 person said that Lallana lunged at Rojo. No one said he fouled Rojo.

Other than the lad that implied he should have been sent off, of course.

Right here...

Again, 1 person, who doesnt even state he fouled him but lunged at him(he didnt tbf), those two posts imply there are multiple posters suggesting that Lallana fouled Rojo.. no one has said that.

Trigger wrote: »
    Again, 1 person, who doesnt even state he fouled him but lunged at him(he didnt tbf),
    Doesn't even state he fouled him, but says he should have been sent off.

This is reaching to the next level. Red card implies foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The mask slips with Klopp every so often, the “hugs” persona goes out the window when he doesn’t get what he wants, a fair weather nice guy.

Liverpool crowding and abusing the officials, diving around the field.

Mes que en club

• Advertisement

Doesn't even state he fouled him, but says he should have been sent off.

This is reaching to the next level. Red card implies foul.

Not at all..surely you know that intent is in the rules book, you dont need to make contact at all..

look that post there was silly anyways, but the two posters that Will replied to that you are defending here are implying that there are multiple people saying it, "those" "terrible posting all round" that is not the case at all..

Anyways I'll leave it there

Right here...

That was before the full clip. The 2 lads are saying there’s still posters saying it should have been red after seeing the full clip. I’m sure cournioni was just fooled by something on Twitter. Easily done.

• On reflection I think a draw was a fair result yesterday
    Ole made a balls of it second half after a very positive first half, changed the formation and tactics thus pretty much surrendered possession to Liverpool in the second half again showing his in-experience at this level to kill a game off
    The amount of times our McT & Fred simply hoofed the ball away aimlessly back to Liverpool so they could start another attack
    The equalizer was always coming

Whatever the result was it changes nothing in the grand scheme of things, he's out of his depth and needs to be let go
    Nothing can be done about the board level issues it seems but at least we should be looking to get a manager in who can do more with this current squad

On reflection I think a draw was a fair result yesterday
    Ole made a balls of it second half after a very positive first half, changed the formation and tactics thus pretty much surrendered possession to Liverpool in the second half again showing his in-experience at this level to kill a game off
    The amount of times our McT & Fred simply hoofed the ball away aimlessly back to Liverpool so they could start another attack
    The equalizer was always coming

I think most would agree that a draw was a fair result. Ole set up very well in the first half and was probably the best I've seen United play this season.

For some reason Young and AWB stopped pushing up on TAA and Robbo in the second half though and Liverpool improved because of this.

The game suited United counter attacking game as well. Liverpool were never going to camp their own box and allowed space for United to run into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Interesting enough but that draw stopped Liverpool equalling Citys record of wins in a row in the premier league( Yes I know Liverpool's is over two seasons)

Also stopped them equalling Chelsea's record of 9 opening game wins.

Long way to go but I think Liverpool could go close to an invincible season assuming they don't lose to City. Played a lot of the big teams already. It would be the most Liverpool thing ever of going Invincible for a Premier League season and not winning the league. Spurs and City up next and I think that's most of the top 6 played already for Pool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

The mask slips with Klopp every so often, the “hugs” persona goes out the window when he doesn’t get what he wants, a fair weather nice guy.

Mes que en club

Intense fume but ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mes que en club

Its pretty much what all the best managers do, Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger all did the same. They all like to win.

I have no doubt Klopp takes no ****, he didn't get to where he is by been a nice guy all the time.

Interesting enough but that draw stopped Liverpool equalling Citys record of wins in a row in the premier league( Yes I know Liverpool's is over two seasons)

Also stopped them equalling Chelsea's record of 9 opening game wins.

Long way to go but I think Liverpool could go close to an invincible season assuming they don't lose to City. Played a lot of the big teams already. It would be the most Liverpool thing ever of going Invincible for a Premier League season and not winning the league. Spurs and City up next and I think that's most of the top 6 played already for Pool?

Villa between those games, and with Liverpool playing City that will have Liverpool played the other big 5 teams.

I wasn't paying much attention but I think SSN said that Mane,Salah and Firmino only have one goal/assist between them at Old Trafford.
    Maybe someone can clarify that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I wasn't paying much attention but I think SSN said that Mane,Salah and Firmino only have one goal/assist between them at Old Trafford.
    Maybe someone can clarify that.

Someone said to me that before Lallana's goal yesterday, Benteke got the last goal from open play for Liverpool at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

A stat came up mid game that Firmino hadn't scored in 8 old Trafford appearances I believe.

And yes Benteke was the last one in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

A stat came up mid game that Firmino hadn't scored in 8 old Trafford appearances I believe.

And yes Benteke was the last one in the league.

i thought they firmino is the only one of the front 3 who has scored at old trafford

Mes que en club

It's funny you should say that.

Ole is looking more and more unhinged as time goes on and is becoming increasingly tetchy in pre and post-match interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Terrible first half performance from us. Really didn't turn up at all. Good result for United thought that point could be huge for them in their relegation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Mes que en club

I think it's pretty much in keeping with his personality, the guy is a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Is that horse dead yet?

Surprised nobody has mentioned bottling it yet all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I just wish sky would stop promoting this game like it's the biggest thing since sliced bread, I can't even remember the last half decent game between the two, it's like the media build up is effecting the players

sky88 wrote: »
    i thought they firmino is the only one of the front 3 who has scored at old trafford

He scored in the Europa League tie iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

United fans defending that 'great' performance will tell you how far they have gone back

He scored in the Europa League tie iirc.

Was that not Coutinho?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

United fans defending that 'great' performance will tell you how far they have gone back

Considering the combined 11s that were going around it shouldn't have mattered what we did

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement