Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Cabbage of a ref is the answer.

Ahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Eh what game you watching. Excellent match.

Seriously? It's all up in the air and scrappy balls. Don't remember either keeper making a serious save. One well taken goal. United offside a bunch. Liverpool comitting fouls and misplacing passes.

It's a terrible fixture year after year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm against it completely overall but I can't argue with the decisions today. Both correct and the better team are leading at the break

But Jesus I'd get rid of it in the morning if I could I can't stand it.

Agree on both accounts. But even today. Yes it hit Manes hand but what about him being pulled back just a split second before that? Where do you stop?

It has not improved decision making one bit. You still get ridiculous stuff like Delofeo yesterday for instance. And 1 inch offside? Surely that's level by any reasonable person and then its in favour of the attacker.

The way VAR is done in the EPL at the moment is a total joke. Clear and obvious error is a total cop out where they now have license to do whatever they feel like. It was actually better without.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Liverpool poor or United just too good?

Both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Both Var decisions were correct imo.
    The Liverpool player was far too eager to go to ground after being barely touched. Second was a clear handball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

It's going to be like the corporate ministry all over again, Atkinson will pull off the mask and it'll be Howard Webb all along

• Both Var decisions were correct imo.
    The Liverpool player was far too eager to go to ground after being barely touched. Second was a clear handball.

The theatrics involved has been a consistent theme of late for Liverpool. Players going down far too easily and exaggerating consistently

It's not always going to work for them

Fair play to the officiating on both counts so far

I agree both were right, but I do think the first was a foul. I just don't think the goal should be taken away because of it. Liverpool needed to play to the whistle and defend even if it was a clean tackle and they didn't. Fair goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

marvin80 wrote: »
    Neville reckons the scoreline is a fair reflection on the 1st half - slightly biased there!

Don't think so. They had a fantastic 45 mins. Nothing like a 14th place team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Cabbage of a ref is the answer.

Bad diving and handball. All down to Liverpool players.

How is it bad refereeing? VAR made the decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I agree both were right, but I do think the first was a foul. I just don't think the goal should be taken away because of it. Liverpool needed to play to the whistle and defend even if it was a clean tackle and they didn't. Fair goal.

Agree with 8-10 here. 9 times out of 10 that's a foul but players have to play the whistle.

Learn that at schoolboy level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah man cmon. You have no agenda here. The first is a free kick every time. You know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The thing I take away from it tis hat VAR has not actually reduced controversy but the opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

marvin80 wrote: »
    Neville reckons the scoreline is a fair reflection on the 1st half - slightly biased there!

It is, liverpool have been dreadful

Nobody stopped playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Utd been much the better side first half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Accurate imo. Liverpool been terrible

Liverpool been sh*t but United not been dominant so I thought 0-0 would be a fair reflection.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Liverpool been poor.
    10-2 in free kicks to Man Utd.

Every call going to Man Utd.

I didnt hear you Moan when VAR gave liverpool a penalty when Mane dived a few weeks back.

Thems the breaks.

Variance baby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Honestly don’t know what the rule is and I’ve seen plenty given for soft incidents like that, but the challange didn’t require Origi to go down and rightly or wrongly I think that’s what the VAR ref decided. In short, he felt some contact and dived. The question is whether any contact is automatically a foul. I prefer to see incidents like this go against the player being clever and making it a foul.

Would snap your hand off for a draw here right now.

See nothing on the bench that will improve us bar possibly Keïta. Might be an idea to haul off Origi for him, extra man in midfield and have Gini and him roam forward as needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Liverpool poor enough from what I've seen. It was always a possibility that United would give them a game. Really missing Salah it would seem. Origi has been no threat as far as I can see.

I'd still expect a draw or Liverpool win but they'll need to sort themselves out quick, 45 minutes will fly by.

I didnt hear you Moan when VAR gave liverpool a penalty when Mane dived a few weeks back.

Thems the breaks.

Variance baby

Ref gave the pen not var.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah man cmon. You have no agenda here. The first is a free kick every time. You know that

No it wasn’t. Barely any contact and it’s a contact sport.

Don't think Carragher is the official spokesperson on the matter.

Fergie must have been onto Atkinson for old times sake.

Where were these conspiracies when you were winning 17 in a row. Surprising that feeder teams haven't had any issues getting results at old Trafford this season.

Here is a theory, Liverpool have been bang average and dont deserve a thing based on the first 45 minutes....

niallo27 wrote: »
    Ref gave the pen not var.

And VAR didnt over turn it, exactly like they disnt overturn the goal based on a foul against Origi

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Origi was kicked on the calf by an opponent who didn't get near the ball. Debates about going down easy etc are fairly irrelevant. Is it a foul if a player kicks another player on the calf, or not?

I still think Liverpool will turn this around.
    They can’t be as bad in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Orgi cost Liverpool the first goal not VAR. Had he not been rolling around on the floor trying to win a free he'd have been up to pressure McTominay and potentially cut out the pass into James. Nobody to blame but themselves there tbh.

Mane one had to be overturned, the standard has been set all season that as soon as it touches a hand of an attacker leading to a goal VAR will overturn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I still think Liverpool will turn this around.
    They can’t be as bad in the second half.

No Salah is a big miss and he can't be replaced. Orgri is a few steps below .

• Advertisement

Thems the breaks.

Variance baby

Yeah the pool fans have selective memory when it suits them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Theatrics from Maguire gets the free that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Agree with 8-10 here. 9 times out of 10 that's a foul but players have to play the whistle.

Learn that at schoolboy level.
    It didn't even look a foul until the behind shot clearly showed a boot to origis calf
    We'll see a different pool this half I hope

James "knocked out" again

Ref shouldn't be calling that back got VVD just outmuscling James.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pathetic from James.

cjmc wrote: »
    It didn't even look a foul until the behind shot clearly showed a boot to origis calf
    We'll see a different pool this half I hope

Unfortunately what they saw on VAR, as well as everyone else, was him grabbing his ankle when he went down.

I think the official name for it is 'simulation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

I thought this incarnation of Liverpool were the greatest team to have ever played any sport in the entire history of the world.

This united team is dog sh1t

Whats going on ??

Ref shouldn't be calling that back got VVD just outmuscling James.

Great decision. Could have died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Carragher still foaming at the mouth complaining about a player being “street wise” while there’s a screen in front of him showing the player receiving treatment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Pathetic from James.

Player gets winded but is deemed pathetic.

No need for the ref to call it back but it's not pathetic.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Unfortunately what they saw on VAR, as well as everyone else, was him grabbing his ankle when he went down.

I think the official name for it is 'simulation'.

Must have skipped the kick part

Would Klopp not be better getting his team to play football rather then screaming at 4th officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pathetic from James.

That one does hurt. VVD is a brick house of a man. There was only going to be one winner there

I do think the ref should have played on. It's not a head injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Shocking reffing all the same blowing up for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

James doing a "James"

Peatys wrote: »
    James doing a "James"

Jesus...Never a free and game shouldn't have been stopped but that would hurt. VVD is a big big man

Henderson.. what a player

Sniper in the crowd???

Jesus I thought that James was play acting there. That is some smack from Matip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement