Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should County Meath and County Westmeath reunify?

• 20-10-2019 2:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭

County Meath was historically one county descended from the old Kingdom of Mí­de. In 1542, they were partitioned:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_Meath_and_Westmeath_Act_1543

Should County Meath and County Westmeath reunify to form one county?

People will say there is no point in this, but look at how County Tipperary was reunified.

Should this be done?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Hoboo

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A somewhat facetious question I know, but all the counties should've been long done away with. The administrative boundaries drawn up in the era of king James have little relevance today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

1. You can keep Westmeath to be honest, and I say that as a Meathman.

2. If reunifying the old province is the aim, would we not need to annex large chunks of Kildare, Offaly, Longford, Cavan, Louth and Dublin into Meath too? Why just Westmeath?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

1. You can keep Westmeath to be honest, and I say that as a Meathman.

As a Westmeath man, likewise ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭derrymcorry

It would be a good idea, just as Tipperary being reunified was successful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

The Guards are reunifying it atm with their new policing model, so that can be the trial!

TBH, Athlone and Mullingar would be very different places, and would have little in common as it is, let alone amalgamating them with Navan, Kells, Ashbourne, Laytown etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

A somewhat facetious question I know, but all the counties should've been long done away with. The administrative boundaries drawn up in the era of king James have little relevance today.

I agree, back to the baronies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

Too many cultural differences between Meath and Westmeath for it ever to truly be viable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It would be a good idea, just as Tipperary being reunified was successful.

Successful how? Economic? Social? Political? You haven't given any indication of what the benefits would be for merging these two counties, or why Tipperary is somehow the standard bearer here. Why not merge Monaghan-Cavan, Laois-Offaly, etc. etc. for the all the sense it makes. The 16th century can hardly be used as a serious tool for comparison here.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Successful how? Economic? Social? Political? You haven't given any indication of what the benefits would be for merging these two counties, or why Tipperary is somehow the standard bearer here. Why not merge Monaghan-Cavan, Laois-Offaly, etc. etc. for the all the sense it makes. The 16th century can hardly be used as a serious tool for comparison here.

County Tipperary was divided by the Brits into North and South. A few years ago they were reunified to create one single County Tipperary.

County Meath was divided by the Brits into East and West. They should be reunified like County Tipperary into one single County Meath.

There are benefits. One council is less than two, meaning less bureaucracy. The county would be wide-ranging, stretching from the Dublin commuter belt to the heart of the Midlands and all under one and not two counties.

Also, what is meant by 'cultural differences' in this regard? There are no visible cultural distinctions from one another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Yes I can see all the little GAA hamlets going along with this ;)
    How would they know who to hate?

Again, it worked successfully when Tipp was reunited so why can't Meath?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ok, OP is a banned troll so I am locking this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement