Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paying for sex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Nobody has claimed that all prostitutes go into wilfully and happily. It is merely being pointed out that some do and some don't. Why should those who make a good living out of it and happily choose that profession be prevented from doing so.

Remember this argument "my body, my choice". Isn't it interesting how that argument only applies for abortion.

Why are you arguing with me then? I said I feel prostitution should be made legal in the same post you’re disagreeing with. So if it’s not ACTUALLY that do you want to address the nerve that I did touch then?

Wibbs wrote: »
    The better question would be when did boards* become a haven for retarded American tropes like "incel/feminazi/beta male/cuck/white knight etc" and all the others with the simplistic decisiveness for the sluggish of thought. BTW and I hate to break it to you, you're just as guilty of buying into it wholesale.

*The answer seems to be about five years ago when it first started to creep in and went nuts when that orange fcuknugget Trump came along. Before that "cucking" was only to be found among bored suburban deviants bumping - and they usually were - uglies.

Bemoans Americanisms.

Uses an Americanism (‘retarded’) to do so.

Good job.

leggo wrote: »
    You’re taking this personally and you realise I never, at any stage, said ‘the Dunne’ right? That’s a mantle you’ve taken up yourself man.

And you’re making a lot of assumptions on my behalf. I said the combination of the three paints a particular picture. I also think there’s eejits on every side of every discussion. I absolutely loved Bill Burr’s “I think we got ‘em all/Believe 88% of women” breakdown of #MeToo. I also think prostitution should be legalised, but for different reasons.

But, still, it’s hard to deny the picture that vehemently arguing all three stances paints. When someone argues against women, as a whole, shouldn’t speak up about sexual assault, or that one boards AMA conclusively proves that most prostitutes go into it wilfully and happily...they’re both total BS stances to cover for something else. I’m sure you can admit that too, there’s something else going on there right? And it’s natural to wonder what that something else they’re not saying is.

I don't think you are right in any way.

"When someone argues against women, as a whole, shouldn’t speak up about sexual assault"??

That is a huge misrepresentation of what the metoo movement became and people who opposed it. I'm sure you can agree that most people opposed to #metoo are not in favour of suppression of legitimate claims?

I know you didn't single me out personally. But when you make outlandish claims that boards has become a "haven for incels" and cite those three reasons to back up your claim, you kind of asked to be pulled up on it. You are alsmost doubling down by saying:

"they’re both total BS stances to cover for something else. I’m sure you can admit that too, there’s something else going on there right?"

No, I don't. It's possible to have a different opinion and not have a sinister ulterior motive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Bemoans Americanisms.

Good job.
    Maybe it's time to ask yourself why you're up at 5 in the morning arguing with people 5,000 KM away?

Your ogic is flawed, it should be dispelled.

I’ll get to work on that ogic.

Maybe it's time to ask yourself why you're up at 5 in the morning arguing with people 5,000 KM away?

...it’s 10.17am are you alright?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not to mention that tedious dullard Bill Burr.
    I quite like Burr. He's more complex a societal reporter than he is often given credit for. He certainly maintains a more nuanced view of this latest American cultural ballsology.
    Nobody has claimed that all prostitutes go into wilfully and happily. It is merely being pointed out that some do and some don't. Why should those who make a good living out of it and happily choose that profession be prevented from doing so.
    Indeed. There seems to be again the quite simplistic image of sex workers as being of a type, depending on one's personal views going in. On the one hand they're all trafficked women victims whoring themselves in back alleys, on the other they're independent women doing their own thing with their bodies by choice. Male prostitutes appear to be entirely absent from the discussion. The reality as usual is more complex.
    Remember this argument "my body, my choice". Isn't it interesting how that argument only applies for abortion.
    Again that tends to fall along political and social lines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Why are you arguing with me then? I said I feel prostitution should be made legal in the same post you’re disagreeing with. So if it’s not ACTUALLY that do you want to address the nerve that I did touch then?

You know, it's an interesting argument style to say that somebody is acting out becuase 'you touched a nerve'. I guess it's the same as a man being passive aggresive and then saying the woman is being 'emotional' if she reacts negatively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bemoans Americanisms.

Good job.
    So completely avoid my point then? Cool beans.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

I’m just saying there’s a recurring trend there that’s clear to see. If someone was able to consensually get the ride, they wouldn’t have issues with women speaking up about being sexually assaulted, would be happy with dating apps because it’s a system that benefitted them and wouldn’t be so willing to ignore constant reports about human trafficking within prostitution and instead look at one AMA with one person from years ago as all the justification they needed. They are three stances you need to bend over backwards to get to individually and they paint a very obvious picture.

And as soon as I pointed that out, immediately the incel language (“feminazi beta male cuck white knight etc”) began getting trotted out on-command.

Firstly, you can't start throwing perceived insults around and then get on your high horse when someone throws them back. From my POV through my experience online and IRL, it tends to be the woke 20 something college student or the 40+ perpetually single mother of cats, #metoo, bleeding heart SJWs that use 'incel' and 'cis' as way to try on emasculate men who don't agree with them. These type of people are far worse than even the worst misogynist imo.

Secondly there are countless males out there unable to find a partner for many reasons but let's just take the the most obvious, looks.
    No matter how unattractive a woman is there will be a man who would happily have sex with her, not so for men. Women are considerably more shallow than men. An unattractive, fat, short etc man may have been at the dating app game for years with no luck.
    Where is the harm in these males paying a professional to give them what the majority of women take for granted? Once the professional is willing and not being forced to.

Trafficking of women for sex is abhorrent and should carry a life sentence. However, if a woman is choosing to be a prostitute then what's the issue? Fine, it's not something you agree with or would do but you are not every woman and can not speak for every woman.

You know, it's an interesting argument style to say that somebody is acting out becuase 'you touched a nerve'. I guess it's the same as a man being passive aggresive and then saying the woman is being 'emotional' if she reacts negatively.

I’m not a woman so I don’t see how you’d think this is a gotcha or counterpoint to anything I’m saying? And yeah, it’s clear nerves have been touched. People aren’t even arguing with what I’m saying now, they’re making up stuff about me to argue with just so they can tick the “You showed them” box in their brain. I’m apparently an American woman feminazi arguing with strangers 5000km away now. I’ve made a very clear point for people to argue with, why imagine everything else and just avoid that? This is gas.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    it tends to be the woke 20 something college student or the 40+ perpetually single mother of cats, #metoo, bleeding heart SJWs that use 'incel' and 'cis' as way to try on emasculate men who don't agree with them. These type of people are far worse than even the worst misogynist imo.

Of course because those people cause you monetary discomfort whereas the worst misogynists merely rape and murder women (who don't matter to you).
    Where is the harm in these males paying a professional to give them what the majority of women take for granted? Once the professional is willing and not being forced to.

Trafficking of women for sex is abhorrent and should carry a life sentence. However, if a woman is choosing to be a prostitute then what's the issue? Fine, it's not something you agree with or would do but you are not every woman and can not speak for every woman.
    Never happens, but as you don't accept the humanity of those without a Y chromosome ...

From my POV through my experience online and IRL, it tends to be the woke 20 something college student or the 40+ perpetually single mother of cats, #metoo, bleeding heart SJWs that use 'incel' and 'cis' as way to try on emasculate men who don't agree with them.

Man in my 30’s so you’re experience has utterly failed you here. Wrong again lads but thanks for proving my earlier point!

I’m not a woman so I don’t see how you’d think this is a gotcha or counterpoint to anything I’m saying? And yeah, it’s clear nerves have been touched. People aren’t even arguing with what I’m saying now, they’re making up stuff about me to argue with just so they can tick the “You showed them” box in their brain. I’m apparently an American woman feminazi arguing with strangers 5000km away now. I’ve made a very clear point for people to argue with, why imagine everything else and just avoid that? This is gas.

One person said that. Almost everyone else has responded to what you said. You have chosen to just refer to that post and ignore the others.

You might think that "nerves have been touched", but to most here it seems that people just disagree with your claims.

Of course because those people cause you monetary discomfort whereas the worst misogynists merely rape and murder women (who don't matter to you).

Never happens, but as you don't accept the humanity of those without a Y chromosome ...

Jesus Christ. you really ramped up the hyperbole.

• Advertisement

No they make false accusations against men that see thier life ruined, they abuse male children, and they belittle men into suicide.

You can't compare the major in regards to the minor.

One person said that. Almost everyone else has responded to what you said. You have chosen to just refer to that post and ignore the others.

You might think that "nerves have been touched", but to most here it seems that people just disagree with your claims.

I’ve since had another poster guess I was either a woke 20-something student OR 40-something cat lady. They had two tries and got it wrong!

Three times in a morning for people trying to make up negative profiles of me. That’s a lot lad. Nerves have been touched.

Fair enough. I guess the same thing in reverse? As a sidenote, I'm not sure what nerve your talking about touching?

No they make false accusations against men that see thier life ruined, they abuse male children, and they belittle men into suicide.

You can't compare the major in regards to the minor.
    That's not what he said.

I’ve since had another poster guess I was either a woke 20-something student OR 40-something cat lady. They had two tries and got it wrong!

Three times in a morning for people trying to make up negative profiles of me. That’s a lot lad. Nerves have been touched.

He never mentioned you leggo. He said explicitly that from HIS point of view and HIS real life experiences, the majority of people in those groups hold the same opinions as you.

Funny how you were quick to point out that I was taking things personally then go on to do the exact same thing.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    So completely avoid my point then? Cool beans.

Wibbs no offence but I avoid most of what you say now. You were interesting years ago but your more recent material has gone a bit odd, kinda like when Lupe Fiasco became a conspiracy theorist. Now when I see a Wibbs post starting with “That’s an interesting hypothesis L, let’s explore that...” I don’t. I’m not on this exploring journey with you anymore man. I’m a scroller, I’m sorry.

What never happens? A woman happy to sell sex?

Man in my 30’s so you’re experience has utterly failed you here. Wrong again lads but thanks for proving my earlier point!

You would fit into the beta male section so......

I didn't say you specifically were a female or a feminist. I said that I have found people with your opinions tend to be.

I guess so and that makes you the alpha you absolute king of the jungle you! :pac:

Cheers.
    He never mentioned you leggo. He said explicitly that from HIS point of view and HIS real life experiences, the majority of people in those groups hold the same opinions as you.

Funny how you were quick to point out that I was taking things personally then go on to do the exact same thing.

What never happens? A woman happy to sell sex?
    Unless she is an addict or mentally ill it never happens. :

https://www.ruhama.ie/

Or perhaps he'd fit in the better male section

Wait so we are actually describing women who don't fit society's opionion of 'women' as mentally ill :eek:

Have we really gone this far down the rabbit hole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

There is a general rule of Attack the post, not the poster.

Please adhere to this.

Oh dear.

• Advertisement

I guess so and that makes you the alpha you absolute king of the jungle you! :pac:

No alpha here boss.........I have no idea how I would be classed to be honest.

I am secure in my sexuality, I support gay rights, I support equality between men and women but I don't support the #metoo movement or feminism ideals of recent years.
    I have a wife and 2 daughters who I believe deserve every right and opportunity that men do and I would fight for those rights.

I can not get behind this 'believe all women' crap. Guess what, some women are absolute cnuts! As are some men. I believe what I can see or what can be proven to me regardless of male/female.

Lastly, I can not stand blanket statements made about prostitution and/or the porn industry in general. Statements like 'no woman would do this willingly'.........no, 1000s of them do it willingly but that doesn't suit the feminazis argument so they pretend it doesn't happen.

If it makes you feel better, you keep believing that no woman is happy to make money from selling her body..........lol #naive

I suggest you stay away from Twitter and Instagram........ literally 85% of accounts are woman in next to nothing getting paid to sell products. They are effectively selling their bodies to make money.

Can girls are another one. 10s of thousands of cam girls across the whole world. I don't have figures (obviously) but I'd be surprised if at least 70% of them are one girl on her own in her home doing it willingly. Of the remaining 30% I'd say the majority are employed to do it and paid well for it.

Women have been using their bodies to make money since Jesus was a baby. Pretending that's not the case is doing you no favours.

I really get almost none of these references.
    I am on twitter but I don't see the stuff you're talking about.
    I have heard of instagram.
    I have never heard of can girls or cam girls (same thing just a typo?)

If it makes you feel better, you keep believing that no woman is happy to make money from selling her body..........lol #naive

I suggest you stay away from Twitter and Instagram........ literally 85% of accounts are woman in next to nothing getting paid to sell products. They are effectively selling their bodies to make money.

Can girls are another one. 10s of thousands of cam girls across the whole world. I don't have figures (obviously) but I'd be surprised if at least 70% of them are one girl on her own in her home doing it willingly. Of the remaining 30% I'd say the majority are employed to do it and paid well for it.

Women have been using their bodies to make money since Jesus was a baby. Pretending that's not the case is doing you no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭victor8600

Are you talking about the Prostitute or the John here ?? After all, both are doing the same thing essentially.

.... She's a single mother of two school going kids so does a few day-time shifts of her own choice each week. On a quiet week she'll take in around €500. Coming up to Christmas / special occasions etc she'll do a bit more. As she says herself, it's like any other job. .....

I was talking about the customer.

Thank you for your example too. I assume that the single mother in question receives social payments and does not pay taxes on her earnings? So she is forced to lie and hide from the Revenue and is open for blackmail. Hardly an enviable position.

I am for the professional sex workers. Get into a course, get a degree, provide a service and pay taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Feisar

victor8600 wrote: »
    I was talking about the customer.

Thank you for your example too. I assume that the single mother in question receives social payments and does not pay taxes on her earnings? So she is forced to lie and hide from the Revenue and is open for blackmail. Hardly an enviable position.

I am for the professional sex workers. Get into a course, get a degree, provide a service and pay taxes.

A degree? Only an extra €50 for anal, I'm saving for my Masters!

First they came for the socialists...

No alpha here boss.........I have no idea how I would be classed to be honest.

I am secure in my sexuality, I support gay rights, I support equality between men and women but I don't support the #metoo movement or feminism ideals of recent years.
    I have a wife and 2 daughters who I believe deserve every right and opportunity that men do and I would fight for those rights.

I can not get behind this 'believe all women' crap. Guess what, some women are absolute cnuts! As are some men. I believe what I can see or what can be proven to me regardless of male/female.

Lastly, I can not stand blanket statements made about prostitution and/or the porn industry in general. Statements like 'no woman would do this willingly'.........no, 1000s of them do it willingly but that doesn't suit the feminazis argument so they pretend it doesn't happen.

You’ve scrolled over the part where I said I loved Bill Burr’s “Believe 88% of woman” routine and found it spot on to, ironically, tar me with one of those blanket statements you claim to hate.

On that: why do you hate blanket statements only when it’s on the side you disagree with? If you had just added “...and ‘every woman does this happily’” that would make your argument credible, but you didn’t. You don’t hate blanket statements, you’re more than happy to use them yourself sure (feminazi is a blanket statement). You’re just using that as a cover for hating the side that you actually hate, i.e. when people find issues with prostitution. Your argument is riddled with holes and that’s the only consistency within it. So the obvious question is why are you lying here and how do you really feel?

Feisar wrote: »
    A degree? Only an extra €50 for anal, I'm saving for my Masters!

Well, yes. Who would a better sex therapist? A person who had a lot of practice or a college professor who only ever had sex with his wife?

And really, a person who needs a prostitute does need a therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

victor8600 wrote:
    And really, a person who needs a prostitute does need a therapy.

I love the way you state that as a fact (where it absolutely isn't)

I really get almost none of these references.
    I am on twitter but I don't see the stuff you're talking about.
    I have heard of instagram.
    I have never heard of can girls or cam girls (same thing just a typo?)

Well I suggest you educate yourself a bit and see what you're fighting for or against, I'm not too sure tbh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its a really dark view of women that I have heard repeated a few times here that men always end up paying for sex one way or another. Do people think that their partners just have sex with them for money? How are you paying for it exactly? Horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is it just me?
    Is it, perhaps just this thread?
    Or is it just message boards in general? :pac:

But man this thread really consists of people just bickering and moaning at each other. Very much "i'm right and YOU'RE WRONG!" points.
    Who cares! why get invested that much. It's all BS when you think about it. Then again when has that stopped an "internet argument" :pac:

Ironicname wrote: »
    I love the way you state that as a fact (where it absolutely isn't)

Thank you. I would love to hear your counterargument. Tell me, what, from your expertise, does a person expect from a prostitute that cannot be gained by a fleshlight? I have my theories, let's hear yours.

Is it just me?
    Is it, perhaps just this thread?
    Or is it just message boards in general? :pac:

But man this thread really consists of people just bickering and moaning at each other. Very much "i'm right and YOU'RE WRONG!" points.
    Who cares! why get invested that much. It's all BS when you think about it. Then again when has that stopped an "internet argument" :pac:

It's just you. YOU ARE WRONG!

:D:D

victor8600 wrote: »
    Thank you. I would love to hear your counterargument. Tell me, what, from your expertise, does a person expect from a prostitute that cannot be gained by a fleshlight? I have my theories, let's hear yours.

Having sex with a human is more satisfying than having sex with an inanimate object.

I'm interested in hearing whether you agree or disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

victor8600 wrote:

Is that a serious question? Do you really think a fleshlight is comparable to having actual sex?

Bizarre question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Now that we are over the lad waving part of the thread.

Nothing wrong with buying or selling sex, on a one to one between consenting adults, it's honest at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Now that we are over the lad waving part of the thread.

Nothing wrong with buying or selling sex, on a one to one between consenting adults, it's honest at least.

Its called "willy waggling".

If I said 'all women are feminazis' that would be a blanket statement. The fact is that there are some 5th wave feminists who believe all men are trash and actively wish harm against them and worse. They are known as the feminazis.

You are projecting your own issues on to me pal. Where did I say, or even hint, that I hated anything?

In terms of prostitution and all its modern forms, I just can't get on board with the feminists (not every single one - not a blanket statement) and their male cheerleaders when they say (like Marie on this thread) that every single woman who has every made a cent off their body did it against their will and I will argue against that until I die!!! I would argue against anyone stating that EVERYONE does this or NO-ONE does that.

Lastly, what exactly have I got to lie about?

You’ve scrolled over the part where I said I loved Bill Burr’s “Believe 88% of woman” routine and found it spot on to, ironically, tar me with one of those blanket statements you claim to hate.

On that: why do you hate blanket statements only when it’s on the side you disagree with? If you had just added “...and ‘every woman does this happily’” that would make your argument credible, but you didn’t. You don’t hate blanket statements, you’re more than happy to use them yourself sure (feminazi is a blanket statement). You’re just using that as a cover for hating the side that you actually hate, i.e. when people find issues with prostitution. Your argument is riddled with holes and that’s the only consistency within it. So the obvious question is why are you lying here and how do you really feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 FurtherAway

Lots of guys here are really eager to stress again and again that while no woman should ever be forced to do it, many women prostitute themselves willingly. Here's some questions to you: how do you tell the difference? How do you know the woman lying there for your pleasure is doing so because she wants to and not because she is forced to or mentally ill or both? Do you seriously believe she's gonna tell you the truth if it's the latter?

The cognitive dissonance on display here is staggering.

If I said 'all women are feminazis' that would be a blanket statement. The fact is that there are some 5th wave feminists who believe all men are trash and actively wish harm against them and worse. They are known as the feminazis.

You are projecting your own issues on to me pal. Where did I say, or even hint, that I hated anything?

In terms of prostitution and all its modern forms, I just can't get on board with the feminists (not every single one - not a blanket statement) and their male cheerleaders when they say (like Marie on this thread) that every single woman who has every made a cent off their body did it against their will and I will argue against that until I die!!! I would argue against anyone stating that EVERYONE does this or NO-ONE does that.

Lastly, what exactly have I got to lie about?

A post using blanket statements explaining why they’re not blanket statements when you say them, when the one thing you claim to hate is...blanket statements. Hilarious. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement