Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed over new job

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your working in a hotel. You're not getting bullied you are being told to work, maybe not in the best method but still not bullying.

You're lucky you're only starting in hotels now, the hospitality business was much worse to work in.

If your manager is shouting at you, clicking fingers at you all on a regular basis it IS bullying, it’s meeting the definition of bully and IS.

Again, if a manager has an issue with an employee they owe it to them to communicate it to them in a professional and respectful manner. They wouldn’t speak like that to a customer, they need to value the employee in the same fashion...

I remember working in the duty free in Dublin airport as a ‘packer/stacker’ then a merchandiser and a manager there who was respected by 100% of the staff called me aside.. “Strumms, what’s up with that whiskey display you are setting up ?” Me thinking...”hmmm looks ok, well actually maybe the labels need to be straighter” her.. “yep, well done, someone rushing to their gate we want the label to catch their eye, or I’ll be getting given out to by the ‘Jack Daniels’ rep next week, but otherwise you are doing a great job, keep it up”....

Still 20 years later the best manager I ever had.... and proved that you can get respect, have authority and be en masse liked if you can communicate and give respect and you will still get the job done, just better too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

A month labouring for a busy blocklayer in the month of February would do you the world of good, you poor thing you'll have burn out by your mid twenties if you keep this up

And to bring mental health into it is really pulling at the heart strings op, get a grip of yourself and cop on

A month labouring for a busy blocklayer in the month of February would do you the world of good, you poor thing you'll have burn out by your mid twenties if you keep this up

And to bring mental health into it is really pulling at the heart strings op, get a grip of yourself and cop on

... yes, because working as a laborer in February qualifies you as some superhero megaman.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

mark2912 wrote: »
    I started this forum for people's advice on how I can combat this bullying behaviour at the workplace.

But so far, people seem to be on the management's side. People need to realise that from a 17 year old's point of view, this can be quite horrible and can have an impact on their mental health.

If I was a bit better financially, I would've quit a long time ago

You need to realise that you posted about your problem on a forum that has more than its fair share of right-wing d1ckheads and you were never going to get a fair shake. Do not accept bullying or poor working conditions and don't let anyone try to bullsh1t you by saying that your employer is doing you a favour in "giving" you a job. It's a two-way street. https://www.siptu.ie/divisions/services/.

Strumms wrote: »
    ... yes, because working as a laborer in February qualifies you as some superhero megaman.

Did i say that, a little real world experience might stand to them in time to come, it might be the difference between having a backbone or crying in the toilets on their break because the boss was mean to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I am expected, at 17 years of age, to get out of bed at 6am
    Any advice??? :(

Buy an alarm clock in case your phone battery dies. I know it’s old tech, but a good solid dingaling alarm clock will never let you down.

;)

A proper alarm clock, now. Not an alarm clock app! See if you can track down a windy up one. Will save you a fortune in batteries over your working life. Only another 50 odd years to go!

Did i say that, a little real world experience might stand to them in time to come, it might be the difference between having a backbone or crying in the toilets on their break because the boss was mean to them

It was implied, having backbone is well and good, so is having respect for yourself, and bravery, that’s the kind of backbone that matters, that when some cock with a managers title is being an asshole, aggressive and disrespectful you don’t just keep the head down, instead speak up.. mark their card.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But so far, people seem to be on the management's side. People need to realise that from a 17 year old's point of view, this can be quite horrible and can have an impact on their mental health.

Probably because most of the people reading this are grownups.

Come back to this thread in 5-10 years when your a grownup too, and you’ll see what we mean.

Oh, and on behalf of your manager and colleagues, because they can’t say it, ‘htfu, ye big jessie. Quit yer whinging’.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I am expected, at 17 years of age, to get out of bed at 6am every weekend and work 8 hours non stop. Both my supervisors and one manager in particular are putting me under pressure. I have been shouted at, have had fingers clicked at me, given orders in a rude manner and they are also refusing to change my rostered shifts for future.

Welcome to the working world OP, be thankful you're not working overnights and older, missing out on spending time with your family because you're trying to make ends meet working shifts. 6am is nothing, especially when later on you say you're doing a full time course during the week and only in the job a wet week.

As for the management issue it just seems like a sh1t boss, if they aren't managing staff without clicking fingers and shouting then their management skills aren't up to scratch tbh, but let me tell you that happens everywhere!

It's tough starting off, I've had more crappy jobs than I've had good ones but the only way you get off the bottom of the food chain in a new job is to show your initiative.

Instead of standing idly at the bar when things are quiet and waiting for someone to shout or order you around, go and polish the cutlery yourself, or other menial tasks that whilst might be boring still have to be done. That way you'll show you're learning and they might consider changing your shifts, if you're planning to stick with it. Otherwise.....

There's a simple thing for you to do, if you're not happy, get online or treading the streets when you're not working and start applying for different work. Should be loads coming up over the Christmas to get you by.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Have worked in and currently am working in a hotel myself and as others have said, that’s pretty much the standard of the industry. You absolutely should be getting a half an hour break but it is understandable at times that it’s not always possible to get a break, but if I were you (as I do myself currently) I’d be insisting on getting one as much as is possible.

If the hours are an issue, maybe speak to your managers about working later shifts in the day? I know myself I’m not an early bird and would much rather do the lates and finish at 6am than get up and start at 6. It being a hotel there should be a variety of shifts bar the breakfast one that you’re on.

Having said all that, from experience I know how much having an awful manager who treats you the way yours does can affect your working day. I eventually ended up leaving that job because I just could not stick being treated that way anymore. My advice would be to try and build up a bit of experience in that place if you can stick it and then apply for other similar jobs and see if that goes better for you.

(As an aside, I’m very jealous that you get €11 an hour. I’m 22, have worked in hotels for almost 3 years and only get the minimum wage)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I've worked in several hotels. You know why they are always hiring, and it's one of the few places that will hire young people with no experience?

Because they treat their employees like absolute dogs. They routinely break laws around rest times, break times, health and safety, and long, long hours, split shifts, rude managers, etc are common. Working there through college destroyed my feet and now for the rest of my life I can't stand for long periods.

Have to lol at people saying 'don't let them get to you'. When you are expected to come in at 8 am to transport luggage bags the size of a human for a tour of 180 Americans after working til 4 am in the residents bar it's hard to 'not let it get to you'. Lack of sleep isn't something you can ignore.

But, it's up to you if you want to endure the abuse for the wages. No one else can make that decision. Don't expect that anything will change. If you complain about stuff, they will cut your hours down to nothing. Trust me. If you finally break down and cry, they might be nice to you for the rest of that day. That's about it.

Fwiw, when I left those jobs I never have missed them, not at all. In fact I am still mystified why I stayed as long as I did, but it was the recession and I was in college, it was the only way at the time to finish the course without having to move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You must get tips Shirley ?

Who?

I'm guessing you use the word snowflake a lot in your day to day life.

OP, as was said this forum is full of right wingers with nasty views. It's also very common in this forum for people who start threads to be blamed and attacked for problems they post. So dont be surprised if the sympathetic replies are in the minority, it's par for the course on here.

It might seem shocking, for me it was an eye opener as Irish people always seem so nice in person. Now I know the truth, they are mostly seething inside and the internet gives them the opportunity to put the boot into people anonymously. I used to think it was due to a difference in economics and political theory, now I know they are just hateful, because usually they attack those on the dole, but as you can see, a hard worker won't escape their wrath either. They want everyone younger or poorer than them working in a gulag without complaint.

the_syco wrote: »
    They're both half days. So you worked half a day a week for a year. I doubt anyone would call that actual experience.

At least stick it out until after xmas; it'll be busy over xmas, and the tips will be a lot better. Also, as the PLC will have stopped, you can do other days.

Once the other staff see you work hard, you'll be treated better.

YOU NEED TO REALISE that you cannot be lazy when you're meant to be working. Thus far, you've been told multiple times to do stuff, as you were doing nothing. Your managers see you as a lazy good for nothing, and you're not proving them wrong, as you say they've told you multiple times not to stand around doing nothing.

Shine the taps, the bar counter, the effing bar mirrors, cut lemons & limes.

I'm 37. Have worked pubs, restaurants, cinemas, call centres, etc. Your ilk will not last, as you don't like hard work.

One of the worst parts of these crap jobs is the expectation of staff to always be rubbing a friggin rag on some surface. It's a joke. It's just pretending to work most of the time.

And it's not something that most 17 year olds will know they have to do right off the bat, so cut them a bit of slack. To a teenagers mind you work when there's something to do. It's only when you get fully indoctrinated into the wage slave culture of the service industry that you will have it ingrained in you that your boss will think you are stealing his money if you aren't engaged in furiously rubbing some shiny surface that probably doesnt need to be cleaned anyway, during any spare moment of relief from serving customers.

The best advice I can give OP is to make sure you get an education, but not just that, get trained in a field that is actually hiring in this country (if you want to stay here) such as the tech field, medical care, medical device manufacturing, because otherwise you get stuck with these rag rubbing jobs for the rest of your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Worked on a building site every summer scraping tar from a huge pile of cobble-lock bricks 8am to 5pm Mon to Friday with half day Sat when I was 17. Would have loved those hours indoors. It could be much much worse so better to keep the head down and get on with it. That’s life unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Lance-kun

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Worked on a building site every summer scraping tar from a huge pile of cobble-lock bricks 8am to 5pm Mon to Friday with half day Sat when I was 17. Would have loved those hours indoors. It could be much much worse so better to keep the head down and get on with it. That’s life unfortunately.

Good that it worked for you but it's not life for everyone. Everyone deals with situations differently, OP may not be a good fit with this job and if that's the case find a different one. No point working somewhere you hate. 17 is the perfect time to try out as many jobs as you can so you can find out what you might want to do for the rest of your life. Good luck OP, don't listen to the people telling you to suck it up. They're just unhappy for the most part with their own lives or jobs and just want to drag you down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

sign on....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

oceanman wrote: »
    sign on....

Jog on...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

oceanman wrote:
    sign on....

I was once told by a counsellor, if you're unhappy in your job and it's making you depressed, leave it and sign on, as the damage it's doing to you isn't worth it, he was right, he also said this to other clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Lance-kun wrote: »
    Good that it worked for you but it's not life for everyone. Everyone deals with situations differently, OP may not be a good fit with this job and if that's the case find a different one. No point working somewhere you hate. 17 is the perfect time to try out as many jobs as you can so you can find out what you might want to do for the rest of your life. Good luck OP, don't listen to the people telling you to suck it up. They're just unhappy for the most part with their own lives or jobs and just want to drag you down with them.

You’re funny...

He doesn’t have his dream job at 17 ? Here’s a violin. And I ain’t dragging nobody down I’m actually a person who climbed the ladder and who is doing quite well or himself I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

When i was in my teens i had a crap job working 7-3pm also!

Now that I’m 37 with 2 kids, I work 7-6pm..so chin up.....

Unfortunately, as they say, that’s life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Unfortunately, as they say, that’s life.

What a load of bollocks, we re intentionally setting young people up to hate work, it's something we spend most of our lives doing, it should give us some sort of happiness. Op if there's a McDonald's in your location, maybe try there, they're suppose to be pretty good employers, particularly for younger people, you might even have a bit of craic in work, as your current place sounds like hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

The current place doesn't sound like hell, the OP just sounds lazy. The moment he started with the "I'm expected to get up at 6am", "I should be allowed a lie-in at weekends", the game was up. And of course, the eternal classic - "I was just minding my own business when the manager asked me what I was up to". What a bastard manager!

Seriously, despite a relatively straight forward 7-3 and very decent €11 an hour for your first job, the entitlement is staggering. Most people's first jobs are far worse. I had to travel an hour at 7am for a long day of scrubbing boats for €5 an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 mcgregor2019

Reminds me of my first job, abusive management, treated like a kid along a terrible salary. It was actually slave labor in disguise and I've seen dogs treated better. It happened to be in McDonald's and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I was earning 5.75 an hour and the minimum wage was 7.65 at the time, but I was only 16, meaning they didn't need to pay me the minimum wage. It always upset me, though I always knew that it wasn't forever, so I kind of got on with it and abusive managers just became normal. I look back now with huge regret, I really wish that I just didn't bother at all, the salary was so low and it wasn't worth sacrificing weekends for such a terrible wage, though the problem being, you need to start somewhere, so everyone goes through those kind of experiences when they are young

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Bang of entitled snowflake off the OPs post

7am to 3 is handy hours, means you've most of teh afternoon and evening free

Shift is the shift but if people don’t see an issue with a manager shouting at an employee and clicking their fingers at them...jeez..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Strumms wrote: »
    Shift is the shift but if people don’t see an issue with a manager shouting at an employee and clicking their fingers at them...jeez..

OP is 17.

A raised firm voice could be interpreted as shouting. pointing at stuff to do could be taken as 'finger clicking'

Also, having stayed in many many hotels over the last few years, in the breakfast rooms, you rarely hear staff talking, or if they do, it's always very discreet. Communication between staff is always as minimal as possible, and in some cases a quick finger click is a subtle way of getting someones attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

OP is 17.

A raised firm voice could be interpreted as shouting. pointing at stuff to do could be taken as 'finger clicking'

yep,

we are only hearing one side of a story from somone who thinks they deserve a lie on for doing a PLC course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Don’t worry about it bro, you’re 17, I was the same, did so many things to get out of work, made my money and then bailed. Not ideal but I wasn’t highly valued in the job I was doing but when I was there I gave everything. When I left, there was someone they could fill my vacancy with quickly. I remember the sense of dread I used to feel before working, probably in my first 3 jobs(tesco, hardware store) then I got a job in a bar sports club, bit pressured but came to slowly to enjoy the work as I was given responsibility and was a bit of craic.

Now, much later, work it’s like whatever, just go and do what has to be done, if you’re like me you’ll grow to recognize that it’s just about making the job work for you rather than the other way round. Life is short, enjoy your teens, value your time and do what you have to do.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you use the word snowflake a lot in your day to day life.

OP, as was said this forum is full of right wingers with nasty views. .

Only when it snows

I'm liberal in my outlook, live and let live and all that jazz, but i have no time for idiots who think they're entitled to a lie in, they'll be serious mental health issues in years to come for our poor downtrodden youth if they think a 6am start or a stern word is bullying, a little hardship early on is a great way to focus the mind, no bullying no abuse just good honest hard work, which the op thinks he's not required to do whilst standing at the bar minding his own business, jesus titty fcukin christ is this the way we have to handle these delicate creatures, no wonder they're having mental breakdowns when a manager can't direct them without allegations of bullying and abuse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement