Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depressed over new job

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Working 7-3 and getting paid for those hours is sweet, at 17.

I recently left my job over a litany of small issues, I was averaging 5 hours a week unpaid every week along with them trying to reduce my hours. While getting laughed at when I asked for a small pay raise a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

I think this thread is a pisstake or, if it isn't, I'd love to know the name of the Hotel that is paying a 17 y.o. €11 per hour when, by law, the legal minimum wage for under 18s is 70% of the adult rate or €6.86 per hour! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

mark2912 wrote: »
    I should be able to have a lie on at the weekend.

Hahahahahaha... welcome to life. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Afollower wrote: »
    I think this thread is a pisstake or, if it isn't, I'd love to know the name of the Hotel that is paying a 17 y.o. €11 per hour when, by law, the legal minimum wage for under 18s is 70% of the adult rate or €6.86 per hour! :confused:

This can happen. When minimum wage was first introduced it was £4.40 (€5.59) in 2000. I started working in 2002 when it was €6/hr. I was getting paid €7.20/hr, even though I was under 18 and it was my first job, I'd no experience.

When I left in 2007 it was €8.30/hr and I was getting paid €10/hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Hey OP! Hope you are still around here!

Talk to your manager and request an oppurtunity to move shifts around, they may feel that the breakfast shift is a good place to start you and start training you.
    But insist on being trained on the coffee machine etc.

This is a job to make you enjoy your teenage years, buying the stuff you want I imagine or is it used to cover accomadation.
    Remember you are not going to jump straight into the general manager/CEO role at the start you need to graft your way up unless you start your own company.
    Best of luck but 6 weekends is nothing. Dont feel pressured in but this is just a weekend job you are not going to have the great job when its only part time at the weekends.

NOW on the manager no wouldnt stand for that, I would ask them nicely to change tone with you.
    Also you are entitled to breaks so make sure they are being taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I used to be paid 2.50 an hour in the late 90s in a hotel and we were treated like dirt... But you were working, you made money, you made friends, had a bit of craic when it wasn't insane and got on with it.

No offence op but if your mental health is in question from this either you need medical intervention or you are, as they describe the term, a snowflake....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Read this post last night and dismissed it as a bored troll. Read the replies on my lunch and had a hearty chuckle. OP I was up and in work at 7am myself this morning, in a cold warehouse and working until 6pm this evening, 7-3 would be like a half day for me and dream hours. Youd want to toughen up a small bit if you think you have it hard. You poor little lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

dobman88 wrote: »
    Read this post last night and dismissed it as a bored troll. Read the replies on my lunch and had a hearty chuckle. OP I was up and in work at 7am myself this morning, in a cold warehouse and working until 6pm this evening, 7-3 would be like a half day for me and dream hours. Youd want to toughen up a small bit if you think you have it hard. You poor little lamb.

You're 31 prob with a lifestyle to match that requires you to work those hours. Op may not.
    Have to be realistic, life is tough more than likely op will have to get used to doing bad hours and compromising but he's entitled to feel as he does. He has only entered the sham that is working life.

You're 31 prob with a lifestyle to match that requires you to work those hours. Op may not.

Nothing outrageous about the lifestyle. A mortgage and a banger of a car is all. 1 holiday every 2 years so not living the high life by any means. Its just the hours that the job is for. Course I dont have to do it but think OP doesnt realise how lucky they are. At 17, really need to toughen up a little if a small matter like this is depressing them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

dobman88 wrote: »
    Nothing outrageous about the lifestyle. A mortgage and a banger of a car is all. 1 holiday every 2 years so not living the high life by any means. Its just the hours that the job is for. Course I dont have to do it but think OP doesnt realise how lucky they are. At 17, really need to toughen up a little if a small matter like this is depressing them

Experience will teach him. But actually I worked 24 hours a week at 16, I think back and it was hell. Two full weekend days and two evenings. Was only a short spell and left in time to watch 2006 world cup but Jesus i still shudder. It was a good experience coz despised that job that after I appreciated anything.

• Advertisement

Experience will teach him. But actually I worked 24 hours a week at 16, I think back and it was hell. Two full weekend days and two evenings. Was only a short spell and left in time to watch 2006 world cup but Jesus i still shudder. It was a good experience coz despised that job that after I appreciated anything.

I get that. I worked on a site for a lad when I was 16 and 17, Saturdays only. Got a job in a small garden centre on sundays and it was torturous, heavy lifting and a dirty dirty job. I still did it and sucked it up which is what the OP needs to do. It's called getting experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I'm afraid your a little too wrapped up in bubble wrap.

You want respect from your manager. Earn it!
    Step up, this is the working world.

If the bar is quiet, Ask the manager what they want you to do then.
    You feel your manager is treating you unfairly, Step up and talk to him/her. Tell them your points, But be ready to show that your able to work and not just whining you don't like their tone.

I can only imagine in my first job telling my manager I thought they were mean, I'd be laughed out the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,157 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He lost me at "i am expected". I'd sack you just for that attitude.

I'd be guessing you show in to work with a face like a wet Wednesday in January, I'd imagine the duty managers hate to see you coming because of it?

Nobody expects you to be Mr Motivation, but the happiest and most successful people are that way because they worked hard and did their very best at whatever job they were in at the time. That stuff gets noticed, it leads to more responsibility, more respect, more money. The best thing to wind up grumpy supervisors is a sunny disposition.

I run my own business in a field I love, but I learned more about people and the value of a quid in my school and college years from the part-time jobs I had in Supermarkets and Pubs and at Concerts than I did in any book.

The world doesn't owe you a living lad, study hard, work hard at the weekends, become independent and run your life the way you want to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

mark2912 wrote: »
    I'm only given a 15 minute break, and I'm lucky if I get a break some days.

I hope to be out of the kip by the end of the year, they seem to take advantage of me due to my age and the fact that it's my first job. :(
    Yeah this is common enough and you'll live! Learn what you can from it, especially in social skills and be in bed no later than 11 before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

When it was empty we just used to polish the wine glasses, wrap cutlery, busy work... Not stand around "minding my own business" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

the only possible way oy resolve this OP is as follows:

Go in on saturday at the time you want,

walk up to your manager and look him straight in the eye and say "look at me, these are my hours now"

then stand there until he walks away, dont show any weakness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

When it was empty we just used to polish the wine glasses, wrap cutlery, busy work... Not stand around "minding my own business" 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

exactly walk around with a cloth in your hand or something, always look busy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    As OP has deleted the original issue we'll take it as the question has been answered well enough for them and to avoid people stepping over the line. Feel free to continue the general discussion about starting a new job with early hours etc. in W&J in a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement