Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need to keep jump starting car

• 21-10-2019 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2015 Honda CRV and within the last week I started having issues starting the car. Last week when down the country on a couple occasions it took a couple times to start and felt like it wasn't turning over properly but managed to get going and get home, then last Thursday night after a 40min spin across the city, I parked up for 90 min and came back and it was dead

Started ok on Sunday morning but then after a 40min spin I needed to get a jump start again

There's a lot online about issues with the CRV and parasitic drain, is it just a new battery needed at this point ?

I had an issue with it about 18months ago where it was completely dead and needed to be towed to a Honda Dealer and they found a loose wire in the fuse box to the battery connector

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Get battery tested/ buy a trickle feed charger/ insurance company home start etc? Mechanic

Get an independent assessment ( AA) maybe,back to Honda,that's not good enough , cars not ancient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Get an independent assessment ( AA) maybe,back to Honda,that's not good enough , cars not ancient

called Honda Ireland today, basically they say that I sometimes shouldn't expect battery to last anymore than what I am getting as all situations are different

I'm not in agreement, my driving style and trips haven't changed in years and I have never had an issue with a battery until this car

I pointed out to them that 18 months ago when it was In warranty it had to be towed to a dealer as it was completely flat. They found a loose wire in the fuse box that was connected to the battery terminal that caused the discharge of the battery and said they fully charged it then over night
    My argument is that could this have contributed to shortening the life of the battery? Possible. I would expect more than 4 1/2 yrs from it

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I pointed out to them that 18 months ago when it was In warranty it had to be towed to a dealer as it was completely flat. They found a loose wire in the fuse box that was connected to the battery terminal that caused the discharge of the battery and said they fully charged it then over night My argument is that could this have contributed to shortening the life of the battery? Possible. I would expect more than 4 1/2 yrs from it

Auto electrician if really pissed off

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I had an issue with it about 18months ago where it was completely dead and needed to be towed to a Honda Dealer and they found a loose wire in the fuse box to the battery connector

Batteries don't like to be fully drained and that may have sent it to to the trajectory towards the early grave and now weather getting cooler finally incresed the demand beyond its current capabilities. What makes it worse is that every time the battery gets too low it gets damaged a bit more and you had this several times already so the battery is now even worse than last week.

Time for a new battery.

• Advertisement

got the battery tested, the reading came back well below what was expected so I had to change it
    Honda wouldn't honour it so €200 out of pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

got the battery tested, the reading came back well below what was expected so I had to change it
    Honda wouldn't honour it so €200 out of pocket

Batteries are consumables and rarely covered. You should have pushed for a new one when it was flattened by the loose wire.

The deep cycle would have contributed to the early failure but it would be tough to get any come back now. You would only get a small portion of the replacement cost if you were to go legal as you got 4 years from the old one.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Batteries are consumables and rarely covered. You should have pushed for a new one when it was flattened by the loose wire.

The deep cycle would have contributed to the early failure but it would be tough to get any come back now. You would only get a small portion of the replacement cost if you were to go legal as you got 4 years from the old one.

True, lesson learned

they offered to do it for a reduced price but it was still more than getting it done by the mechanic when it was in for the service this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Likely the battery is finished.
    First few frosty nights always finishes off any battery that’s been just hanging on at the end of its life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭9935452

True, lesson learned

they offered to do it for a reduced price but it was still more than getting it done by the mechanic when it was in for the service this week

Is the car a stop start car ? Stops when you stop in traffic and starts when you move off ?
    I'm told the bmws with stop start the battery only last a max of 5 years

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »
    Is the car a stop start car ? Stops when you stop in traffic and starts when you move off ?
    I'm told the bmws with stop start the battery only last a max of 5 years

Ya, but I switch it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

after 4 years a battery is on borrowed time.
    Having had those discharging issues in the past damaged it.

€200 for a car battery is daylight robbery.

Advertisement