Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if you lose your card(s) abroad yet need them urgently

Options
  • 21-10-2019 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

This hasn’t happened yet and hopefully won’t!!! ,but if your wallet is lost or stolen what can you do while abroad?
    Especially because you’ll need money and probably have a hotel to pay etc
    Are there options eg getting a replacement sent couriered over?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mortelaro wrote: »
    This hasn’t happened yet and hopefully won’t!!! ,but if your wallet is lost or stolen what can you do while abroad?
    Especially because you’ll need money and probably have a hotel to pay etc
    Are there options eg getting a replacement sent couriered over?

Thank you

Could you use Android/Apple Pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Have a separate card from a different provider I.e. Revolut, spend on this and leave your BOI card in your hotel safe.

Couriering a card to you isn’t really feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

McGaggs wrote: »
    Could you use Android/Apple Pay?

BOI do not have Apple/Google Pay. They’re 3 years behind everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Revolut appears to be the way to go
    But my question remains what if I lose all cards prior to reaching a hotel for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Mortelaro,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today.

While we hope that this never happens to our customers, we do have a procedure for when a customer has lost their card abroad and is without access to cash. Together with Visa, BOI will transfer your funds to a nearby Western Union and you can pick up the cash with your photo ID. Please be mindful that you can always get in touch with us from abroad and we can help on 0035314044000 / 00353567757007.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

with Revolut, your virtual card is stored on your phone with all of the details. Revolut supports apple pay so you can tap for payments using your phone depending on the limit. If the amount is above the Tap limit I'm sure you could use the card details stored on the phone to pay. Also, with Revolut, if you lose your card or misplace it, you can freeze it immediately from the app for good or until you find it. Also perhaps get 2 revolut cards and keep them separate. Foreign exchange is also a lot cheaper using Revolut. Absolute no brainer particularly when travelling abroad. 

Hi Mortelaro,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today.

While we hope that this never happens to our customers, we do have a procedure for when a customer has lost their card abroad and is without access to cash. Together with Visa, BOI will transfer your funds to a nearby Western Union and you can pick up the cash with your photo ID. Please be mindful that you can always get in touch with us from abroad and we can help on 0035314044000 / 00353567757007.

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Cheers Kat,that's good to know for peace of mind
    To clarify, if you have to pay a hotel will you get cash enough from your credit card account to do that via western union?
    Also if a card needs to be cancelled will a hotels pre auth on the card still work? One they would have done before it was lost or stolen?
    Thanks

Hi Mortelaro,

Thanks for linking back in with us.

When the Emergency Cash Advance is being arranged with Visa, the customer would advise how much they need transferred from their account. So if you had any hotel bills due and also needed cash for travel/food expenses, you could factor this into the figure you provide to Visa International.

Regarding your second question, in order for the payment to go through the hotel would need to have processed the payment on the card before it was reported lost/stolen.

Many thanks,
    Kat

One final question, My BoI card is actually Mastercard I've just checked
    Is there a similar procedure with western union?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

mosesgun wrote: »
    with Revolut, your virtual card is stored on your phone with all of the details. Revolut supports apple pay so you can tap for payments using your phone depending on the limit. If the amount is above the Tap limit I'm sure you could use the card details stored on the phone to pay. Also, with Revolut, if you lose your card or misplace it, you can freeze it immediately from the app for good or until you find it. Also perhaps get 2 revolut cards and keep them separate. Foreign exchange is also a lot cheaper using Revolut. Absolute no brainer particularly when travelling abroad. 

So I'd need to buy an iPhone too?

• Advertisement

Hi Mortelaro,

Thanks for coming back to us.

The emergency cash advance is also available with MasterCard. They have a list of their international contact numbers on their website so you can call worldwide. Once you submit your request with them they'll send on the details and we can arrange for the cash advance.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mosesgun

Hoboo wrote: »
    mosesgun wrote: »

So I'd need to buy an iPhone too?
    No an android phone will work perfectly too!

Advertisement