Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of fitting a new custom front door

Options
  • 21-10-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We live in Limerick and are talking to a joiners in Dublin about getting a hardwood front door and two sidepanels made for us.

They have quoted us €1400 to have the door fitted and to me this seems excessive but I have no idea what's involved.

What would be the ball park for this kind of job? They said we can look after fitting ourselves but there's obviously going to be a bit of hassle trying to find someone to do it for us and the risk that they do a bad job/damage the door so if it sounds about right but on the high side we might go with the supplier of the door.

Thanks

Comments

John_Mc wrote: »
    Hi,

We live in Limerick and are talking to a joiners in Dublin about getting a hardwood front door and two sidepanels made for us.

They have quoted us €1400 to have the door fitted and to me this seems excessive but I have no idea what's involved.

What would be the ball park for this kind of job? They said we can look after fitting ourselves but there's obviously going to be a bit of hassle trying to find someone to do it for us and the risk that they do a bad job/damage the door so if it sounds about right but on the high side we might go with the supplier of the door.

Thanks

We had an accoya front door with two side glass panels designed, built and fitted for 3k by a local joiner. Best money we spent on the whole renovation and extension project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

We had an accoya front door with two side glass panels designed, built and fitted for 3k by a local joiner. Best money we spent on the whole renovation and extension project.

Thanks yes we're going with accoya too. Glad to hear it's worth it.

Where is "local" to you?

Thanks yes we're going with accoya too. Glad to hear it's worth it.

Where is "local" to you?

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

€1,400 just for the fitting of the door? Seems excessive. Is there a breakdown?

Does that include:

Removal and disposal of the existing door?
    Making good the plaster work and paint work after they install the new door?
    I'm assuming it includes an air tightness taping and associated details?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

lemonkey wrote: »
    €1,400 just for the fitting of the door? Seems excessive. Is there a breakdown?

Does that include:

Removal and disposal of the existing door?
    Making good the plaster work and paint work after they install the new door?
    I'm assuming it includes an air tightness taping and associated details?

No details provided at all really when I questioned it. All I got was "Unfortunately there is a lot of hours involved in fitting in Limerick".

• Advertisement

No details provided at all really when I questioned it. All I got was "Unfortunately there is a lot of hours involved in fitting in Limerick".

Sounds like you are paying a premium for them to do the job in Limerick. Could you not get someone closer to home? Any decent joiner can do what I think you are looking for...

Advertisement