Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuffing recipe

• 21-10-2019 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I like a simple stuffing with sage and onion. I just melt the butter, sauté the onion and add the bread crumbs and sage with a little salt and pepper. It’s nice but can get quite dry. Any tips or additions to keep it moist and maybe add a little more flavour? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

Do you actually stuff the bird with it or do you just cook it in a separate dish in the oven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

If you're not actually putting it in a chicken etc you'll need to add a bit of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

More butter will keep it moist.
    I love some lemon zest through a breadcrumb stuffing - really lifts the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭billbond4

This is mine
    200g breadcrumbs
    100g butter ( add a bit more if you like it moist)
    salt
    pepper
    2 teaspoons sage
    3 teaspoons orgegano
    4 teaspoons parsley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Thanks for all the information. Butter may be the answer as might stock, how much do you add in? I was thinking of maybe adding some mashed potato to the mix, any thoughts on that? Normally I would be cooking it in its own dish but at Christmas I will be stuffing the neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Not just lemon juice, use the rind too.
    And my secret ingredient for an extra kick: pine nuts. Delicious!

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I often grate an apple into my stuffing, or add a splash or two of hot water to bring it all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My answer is simple, add lots of butter. The smell and flavour is better for it. Hard to say how much to add. When I'm adding the stuffing into the chicken I make sure that each cube of butter will be enough to melt throughout its own little area in the mound. Can't really explain it but picture the cube of butter melted, will it moisten that amount of breadcrumbs surrounding it? If you think it won't, add more butter. I use dried mixed herbs, and I don't pre-cook the onion as it cooks inside the bird.

I think maybe I wasn't adding quite enough butter from the answers so far. I'll be more generous with it in the future, maybe the apple too and those pine nuts... but definitely upping the butter. thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think maybe I wasn't adding quite enough butter from the answers so far. I'll be more generous with it in the future, maybe the apple too and those pine nuts... but definitely upping the butter. thanks all.

Try the lemon zest too.
    Fresh herbs, and lots of them, are much nicer than dried.
    I'll usually use thyme, parsley (you can use a lot of this) and one other herb.
    Fresh sage is lovely, too.

Much as I love mashed potato - I'm not a huge fan of potato stuffing.

• Advertisement

If I get a chance this weekend I'll make some, with the Lemon zest too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Agree with the butter bit. Choose a real fatty creamy butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a self invented turkey recipe .. As I am alone, I get a small bird; take off the breasts and share the rest with my cats, raw

Make a kind of.... sandwich... with cranberry and stuffing between the breasts. Trad sage and onion and I now have sage...add sliced apple... wrap in foil and roast until the last half hour. The meat stays moist and flavoutfull

And add stuffing balls when you roast the potatoes

Love turkey at Christmas Not sure if I can get one this year being now house and island bound so may succumb to a breast roast.

Try the lemon zest too.
    Fresh herbs, and lots of them, are much nicer than dried.
    I'll usually use thyme, parsley (you can use a lot of this) and one other herb.
    Fresh sage is lovely, too.

Much as I love mashed potato - I'm not a huge fan of potato stuffing.

Hi all, I used fresh sage, onion, one garlic clove, lemon zest and a grated golden delicious apple, batch bread grated in the blender with the sage and a spoon of mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Lots of butter and then some more. Everyone loved it, all gone now so will have to make more. Thanks for all the tips and I hope yours went well 🌲

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We are almost comotosed with all the butter I've used in the stuffing this year! We will be going on a butter free diet in January! Can h-a-r-d-l-y m-o-v-e! :)

Advertisement