Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad hygiene in kitchen

Options
  • 21-10-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I work in a pub and I am concerned for bad hygiene practice in the kitchen. I told the manager a few times about what I saw and he told the chefs but after a few days they returned to their usual ways.
    I am talking about cooked and raw meat uncovered in walk in fridge, raw fish uncovered in fridge, sauces in uncovered containers, no labels on anything, chefs wearing casual clothes and shoes they are wearing on the street, cross contamination on worktops and chopping boards. They have no clue about allergens.
    I've been thinking a long time if I should report this before some customer gets a bad food poisoning. Or should I just wait and let karma run it's course? I don't want to cause the manager any trouble as he is a decent man and we like him a lot but what the chefs do is just disgusting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Your problem now is that if the food/hygeine inspectors arrive unannounced, the place will probably get a closure order, you will be blamed and get fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I work in a pub and I am concerned for bad hygiene practice in the kitchen. I told the manager a few times about what I saw and he told the chefs but after a few days they returned to their usual ways.
    I am talking about cooked and raw meat uncovered in walk in fridge, raw fish uncovered in fridge, sauces in uncovered containers, no labels on anything, chefs wearing casual clothes and shoes they are wearing on the street, cross contamination on worktops and chopping boards. They have no clue about allergens.
    I've been thinking a long time if I should report this before some customer gets a bad food poisoning. Or should I just wait and let karma run it's course? I don't want to cause the manager any trouble as he is a decent man and we like him a lot but what the chefs do is just disgusting.

Resign, wait a bit, then report them. That way you won’t get blamed and you walk away on your own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swampy353

fxotoole wrote: »
    Resign, wait a bit, then report them. That way you won’t get blamed and you walk away on your own terms.

Ring the local Hse office and report it. You don't have to give your name etc. Every premise should be inspected a couple of times a year, as someone who works in the food business constantly expect to see eho's.
    Your manager may be a nice guy but that doesn't excuse the kitchen been a sty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He'll be in a lot more trouble if a customer gets an allergic reaction or cases of multiple food poisoning.

Report it for your own piece of mind, how will you feel if someone gets a bad allergic reaction or food poisoning and you knew it could have been prevented?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Report it. You don’t have to give your name. Your conscience will be clear. It’s frightening how much food businesses think they can get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Goodigal

Go onto FSAI website and make an online complaint. An inspection will be carried out on foot of the issues ypu have described. Your concerns are likely to give rise to a food poisoning incident. Best to have the EHO take a look.

Advertisement