Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen AM4 boot kit around Cork

Options
  • 21-10-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking for anyone that has a 1st or 2nd gen CPU to upgrade the BIOS on a Asus B450 mini itx board. I bought it from AWD-IT in the UK as they offered a BIOS update for an extra £5 but the shower of ******* didn't do it it seems. New build with a Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1080 ti just sitting around. board powers up but not getting anything through the graphics card, and it tested that in another computer so i know its working. I build another rig for someone recently with a 3400G and got the same symptoms ( which i knew would happen). i tried the same local fella i went to the last time, but he's sold off the rig he had with a 1st gen ryzen.

if anyone knows any crowd that could help out that works too. I don't mind travelling about an hour out of my way to get this sorted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Offered a bios upgrade for a fiver what does that mean? You want to update the bios for the motherboard then go to the Asus website and get the latest bios update? Or you need a CPU not understanding any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grissol21

I need an older CPU to update the BIOS. the company AWD-IT had optional "extras" you could get when buying the board. one of those options is "NO CPU - Update my BIOS to Latest Version (+£4.95)" which i click on, but it seems they did not load the latest BIOS for this board which would have support for a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. check the link if you want to see for yourself.

Just delete the {dot} and put in .'s, it seems since I'm a new user, i can't post links. probably a spamming filter. Pretty cool feature.

www{dot}awd-it{dot}co{dot}uk/asus-rog-strix-b450-i-gaming-amd-b450-ddr4-wifi-mini-itx-motherboard-socket-am4.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

grissol21 wrote: »
    I need an older CPU to update the BIOS. the company AWD-IT had optional "extras" you could get when buying the board. one of those options is "NO CPU - Update my BIOS to Latest Version (+£4.95)" which i click on, but it seems they did not load the latest BIOS for this board which would have support for a Ryzen 3000 series CPU. check the link if you want to see for yourself.

Just delete the {dot} and put in .'s, it seems since I'm a new user, i can't post links. probably a spamming filter. Pretty cool feature.

www{dot}awd-it{dot}co{dot}uk/asus-rog-strix-b450-i-gaming-amd-b450-ddr4-wifi-mini-itx-motherboard-socket-am4.html

Did you get on to their support? You have paid something's you didn't receive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's not really worth the hassle since they are in UK. Going to all the trouble of sending it back and waiting then for it to come back.

Bad form on their end really for not doing a service you paid for.

If you cannot get anyone someone on adverts was selling a cheap CPU he bought for the same reason you will be using it for. I don't know if the ad is still live as I was looking at a X470 MB when I was looking for a Ryzen system but in the end I just paid the extra for a X570.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Are you sure it's not some other factor? Even if they did not flash the bios, at this stage a B450 board, unless it is old stock, should already be shipping with a compatiable bios anyway I would have thought. It should be printed on the box somewhere, the bios revision. I would see what support say though from experience AWD do not have good customer service at all. Best are overclockers uk and Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 grissol21

Homelander wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not some other factor? Even if they did not flash the bios, at this stage a B450 board, unless it is old stock, should already be shipping with a compatiable bios anyway I would have thought. It should be printed on the box somewhere, the bios revision. I would see what support say though from experience AWD do not have good customer service at all. Best are overclockers uk and Amazon.

i tried the HW out piece by piece in my friends computer. I built his 3400G system ( he wasn't confident about it) earlier this year, same issue then, but i knew a local repair guy who had a Ryzen system at the time so i was able to upgrade the BIOS then. That guy repaired that system and it's gone off now so that option is gone too. i tried one or two other repair places around to see if they have anything, no joy yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

The quickest option is probably to abuse the generous returns policy that Amazon have.

Order a 2200G, R3 1200 or an Athlon 200ge, do the upgrade and then send it back for a refund.

Advertisement