Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange Rate for Visa Card

Options
  • 21-10-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Hi,

If I am making a Sterling purchase online using my Visa card, where can I see the exchange rate that will be applied? What other fees will I incur?

Thanks,
    Barry 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi Barry,

Thanks for reaching out to us on Boards.ie.

When you use your Visa debit card for a purchase in a non-Euro currency the exchange rate is decided by Visa. They update their exchange rates on their website daily. Similarly, MasterCard do the same.

Bank of Ireland will charge a cross border handling fee when transactions are made in a foreign currency. For point of sale purchases there would be a charge of 2% maximum (max €11.43) per transaction. I've included a link below to our website with some more information on cross border handling fees.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/cross-border-handling-fee-will-charged-use-debit-card-abroad/

I hope this information helps.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Advertisement