Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on moving to ballymun near supervalue

Options
  • 21-10-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I know Ballymun has had its share of problems in the past but i'd like to know what its like now specifically around the supervalue area as im looking at moving into an apartment above it.

Would be greatful if anyone with experience living in the apartments or nearby could comment on what its like - any good/bad experiences.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome to Boards, Beezasp. I've moved this into the Dublin City forum which covers Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the 5 or so times I've been in that area during the day, I've not seen any trouble, although I haven't been there at night or the weekend. The Garda station is across the road. I have seen people using scrambler bikes, etc. on the green spaces further north.

There are more shops at Gulliver's Retail Park: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/282880125#map=16/53.4050/-6.2611 The old shopping centre and quite a few open spaces in Ballymun need redevelopment.

Buses 4, 13, 17a, 42, 155, 220.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Beezasp

Thanks for responding Victor

I've been in that area too a few times, and like yourself, during the day. I've experienced no issues either and have made the same observations regarding some of the buildings and public transport. Good to know about the use of scramblers.

I will take a trip there in the evening/weekend and see if things stay the same or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Beezasp wrote: »
    I will take a trip there in the evening/weekend and see if things stay the same or not.

Good idea to check it out at night time. Ive only been there during the day and there was never any problems, presumably because it is so close to the Garda station. The station is another consideration, know that you are going to be hearing sirens often enough at night time living there. Most people get used to it but for some it prevents them from getting a decent sleep.

If you do move in Firehouse Pizza next door to Supervalue does really good pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Beezasp

I didnt think of the police station nearby and possible sirens at night :/ will definitely bear that in mind.

I seen Firehouse, i do like a good pizza! Must check them out if i move there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

That supervalue is my uncle Roberts, he is also head of Ballymun4Business. He was telling me that his shop is pretty much the only shop around and that Ballymun has not got a single pub left which is a crying shame, closest super market is on santry lane, and pub would probably but the slipper oppisite DCU and Albert collage park, so abit of a walk and something to take into account.

The locals are grand, get the usual scrotes but nothing unsual unless this time of year with fireworks, sounded like a warzone the other night. And as mentioned Garda are right there.

The traffic can get heavy due to the airport and IKEA but there are good bus links.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,412 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It seems to have quieted down a lot. Trouble is rare. I have a friend not too far from there. The 90’s it was dog rough and dangerous but with the regeneration while not delivering everything as promised the area has facilities, a good community, a decent Garda presence, schools, shops, gym, pool etc.. I suppose it does lack socially oriented things like pubs, maybe proprietors are too wary of the areas past reputation but the likes of The Autobahn on Glasnevin Avenue and the Tolka House as well as The Slipper are very close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The apartments above SuperValu wouldnt be the best, or at least up until a few years weren't the best, not sure what they're like now

By andlarge it's quiet around there now, and thats the problem, the centre of Ballymun has f***k all in it except community schemes and such. Its fairly grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Born and bred in Ballymun myself, area has developed massively over the years and is not half as bad as it was in is 90/00s. Those apartments would be very multi cultural, many Indian and African families live in them. The area itself is constantly improving and a new Lidl store is currently under construction a few hundred yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Swimming pool and gym is superb resource to have on your doorstep.

A lot on in the theatre across the road.

One of Dublin's nicest parks 500 metres away.

Perhaps absence of nice restaurants. The pizza place seems decent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement