Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage to home office conversion

Options
  • 21-10-2019 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hello. I'm considering converting approximately half my garage to a proper home office. The garage is a separate building to my house. It's cavity block, well built construction with a pitched tiled roof. It has a side window and a roller door to front.

It's currently approx 5.7m x 2.6m.

The plan is to convert the back half by partitioning in two. Access to the office would be via a new full glass door that replaces the side window. Interior to the office would have two velux windows (north and south facing) vaulted(?) ceiling,fully insulated floor, walls and roof. Plenty of power sockets. Possibly just an oil filled plug in radiator. Properly ventilated room. Aim to finish with a room approx 2.4m x 2.5m. Want it to be a nice place that's warm and doesn't feel like a prison cell. The full glass door will look out on the garden.

Front half of garage would remain as a garage but considering changing the roller door to a half height window and a half glass door.

Anything I'm missing or should consider when talking to builders? Would electric supply to garage need to be upgraded for more sockets/lights/load?
    What ballpark price range?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is it visible from the road?
    Velux windows will add to cost and make insulating the roof a lot more difficult and not detract from prison cell feeling.

I would open a new small window, subject to PP. you can add bars if you want for the prison effect:D
    What is distance from house re the cable?
    what is the expected elec load?
    If you want good quality air consider a small MHVR unit

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Calculator123

is it visible from the road?
    Velux windows will add to cost and make insulating the roof a lot more difficult and not detract from prison cell feeling.

I would open a new small window, subject to PP. you can add bars if you want for the prison effect:D
    What is distance from house re the cable?
    what is the expected elec load?
    If you want good quality air consider a small MHVR unit

Thanks for your reply Calahonda.

No. It's not visible from the road.

I like the idea of velux windows. Combined with a full glass door, there will be a lot of light. There's not much room for another side window and I guess my plan would be to avoid heavier construction or wall removal. Cost isn't my primary concern (within reason). More quality of finish.

It's about 10m from fuse box in house to the front of garage. Concrete driveway in between.

Load will be existing fridge and dryer in garage plus additional lighting and various sockets to support computer, various screens and other light electronics. And some sort of heater.

I'll do some research on MHVR units but this room will only be 6sqm, so might be overdoing it.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

If you insulate that small area well , you only need a one kw Heater or thereabouts. Modern lighting and tv , pc use very very little power as u know

Advertisement