Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back from UK - schools, then houses

• 21-10-2019 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,
    We are moving back from the UK after Christmas and I’m starting the task of looking for school places (2 secondary, 1 primary) and to buy a house. Ideally we’d like to be +/- 15 mins drive to M50, North Kildare or greater Dublin.

I grew up in Kildare and lived/worked in Dublin but left nearly 20 years ago. I’m making a shortlist of schools and a bit clueless. The top 10 schools in Dublin made me wince (three to pay for). Can you suggest some in North Kildare which might suit our slightly fish-out-of-water children? The children haven’t a word of Irish and they’ve played no GAA - not that they can’t integrate and the youngest will have to pick up Irish, but there’ll be schools where they’ll fit more easily than others. I’d love to hear some personal recommendations. Why did you choose the school your children attend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Can’t see your children not speaking Irish or playing GAA being a problem.
    I’m sure you’ll find a suitable school in Naas, Maynooth or Celbridge
    I’d imagine your biggest problem will be finding accommodation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Anna75Anna wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are moving back from the UK after Christmas and I’m starting the task of looking for school places (2 secondary, 1 primary) and to buy a house. Ideally we’d like to be +/- 15 mins drive to M50, North Kildare or greater Dublin.

I grew up in Kildare and lived/worked in Dublin but left nearly 20 years ago. I’m making a shortlist of schools and a bit clueless. The top 10 schools in Dublin made me wince (three to pay for). Can you suggest some in North Kildare which might suit our slightly fish-out-of-water children? The children haven’t a word of Irish and they’ve played no GAA - not that they can’t integrate and the youngest will have to pick up Irish, but there’ll be schools where they’ll fit more easily than others. I’d love to hear some personal recommendations. Why did you choose the school your children attend?

Thanks

There will be no issue with lack of Irish or playing GAA. Plenty of educate together schools etc. New housing estates been built in Maynooth, Leixlip and Celbridge Area's. A couple of links here that may help you in the Leixlip area.
    There maybe Facebook pages for more information or contact the schools directly, may help you greatly.

https://www.educatetogether.ie/schools/2019-primary-schools/leixlip-etns/
    https://glenveagh.ie/developments/barnhall-meadows/
    http://www.westfieldleixlip.ie/

Advertisement