Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get screws for kickstand in Dublin?

Options
  • 21-10-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I just bought this kickstand from Amazon, but there were no screws supplied.

Does anybody knows where I could get a pair of screws that would fit this kickstand in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Woodies Sandyford (and I assume their other branches) have a good selection. You really need a measuring tape to make sure you get the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Woodies Sandyford (and I assume their other branches) have a good selection. You really need a measuring tape to make sure you get the right size.

I can just take the kickstand with me and try different types of screws.

Do you think that these screws could also be available in bicycles repair shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Amouar wrote: »
    I can just take the kickstand with me and try different types of screws.

Do you think that these screws could also be available in bicycles repair shops?

I doubt if bicycle repair shops would have a large selection of screws to be honest. Your best bet is a hardware store I reckon. Not sure if Woodies will let you try different screws, maybe if you ask them nicely. But if there's a bicycle repair shop near you, might as well try them, no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

No screws were supplied because they have to match the threads in your frame, and many frames have different requirements - different threads (hopefully M6, but some frames are only M5), and some frames have blind holes (closed end, so too long a bolt won't work) and others are open (any length is fine once it doesn't foul on, eg: a brake disc).

You'll need Allen-head bolts, as hex-head bolts will foul on the body of that stand. Try to get hi-tensile bolts (marked 8.8 or 10.9), as these bolts take a lot of strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Amouar

Type 17 wrote: »
    No screws were supplied because they have to match the threads in your frame, and many frames have different requirements - different threads (hopefully M6, but some frames are only M5), and some frames have blind holes (closed end, so too long a bolt won't work) and others are open (any length is fine once it doesn't foul on, eg: a brake disc).

You'll need Allen-head bolts, as hex-head bolts will foul on the body of that stand. Try to get hi-tensile bolts (marked 8.8 or 10.9), as these bolts take a lot of strain.

Thanks.

Googled this online and found an Irish store that sells them for a reasonable price https://staqoo.ie/shop/socket-screws/184-m5-x-30mm-socket-screws-5-pack-88.html

I will probably order M5 and M6 as I'm not sure which one will be a better fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement