Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burn barrel needed. (Galway area)

Options
  • 21-10-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi there, I have quite a big garden and quite a lot of low grade wood (not worth selling) that I need to burn.
    Is there anyone out there, in the Galway area that either knows were I can get one or that has one they don’t need?
    The type that I’m after is shown in the picture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You do know they're illegal to use in most counties as it's considered backyard burning, if you've no permit?

It's no different to an incinerator bin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you've quite a big garden, why not just stack it in a corner and let it become a home for wee beasties and eventually fungus?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

You do know they're illegal to use in most counties as it's considered backyard burning, if you've no permit?

It's no different to an incinerator bin.

Yes I had one of those before now. Made of thin cheap metal, after I’d burnt one seasons worth of branches and garden stuff it was so rusted after the following winter it couldn’t be used again.

if you've quite a big garden, why not just stack it in a corner and let it become a home for wee beasties and eventually fungus?

I do do that.. but it doesn’t rot away fast enough. Truth is I’ve run out of hiding places. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Steel drum, drill out a good few holes in the bottom third of the drum with a step drill bit. Bob's your uncle. It will last a lot longer than commercial burn barrels.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=plastic%20barrels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anything thicker than my thumb i usually chop up for kindling or general firewood. thinner than my thumb, it goes in a garden shredder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Midster wrote: »
    I do do that.. but it doesn’t rot away fast enough. Truth is I’ve run out of hiding places. :(

The council provides an area where they’ll take for free. It will be chipped and burnt at the correct temperature.

Steel drum, drill out a good few holes in the bottom third of the drum with a step drill bit. Bob's your uncle. It will last a lot longer than commercial burn barrels.

https://www.donedeal.ie/all?words=plastic%20barrels

Yes the first place I looked was on sites like this, but there all miles away. There are farmers etc that live near were I do, surely they must use them. Even if it’s a bit rusty and beaten up it will still work perfectly as a burn barrel

anything thicker than my thumb i usually chop up for kindling or general firewood. thinner than my thumb, it goes in a garden shredder.

I can’t afford one of those :(

Odelay wrote: »
    The council provides an area where they’ll take for free. It will be chipped and burnt at the correct temperature.

How do I contact these people. If they take it for free, that’s great! :)

• Advertisement

I can’t afford one of those :(
    fair enough - mine cost me €150 i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Aldi have had them for even less. They pay for themselves quickly in any reasonably sized mature garden,

Yes the first place I looked was on sites like this, but there all miles away. There are farmers etc that live near were I do, surely they must use them. Even if it’s a bit rusty and beaten up it will still work perfectly as a burn barrel

Local garages. They always have barrels as most of them buy motor oil in bulk that way. Farmers almost always have them somewhere too.

Here you are lad, a crowd selling them in athenry...

http://www.atlantictanksandbarrels.com/

Here you are lad, a crowd selling them in athenry...

http://www.atlantictanksandbarrels.com/

BOOM!! Thanks jimmy :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Same, mine looks like this but in green and works brilliantly; https://www.ie.screwfix.com/mac-allister-2800w-100kg-hr-shredder-220-240v.html About €180 in homebase from memory. I had a high speed rotating blade bosch one previously that was more than twice the price and utter garbage.

Environmental concerns aside, burning small diameter green or leafy wood, briars etc.. is going to be an absolute pain, where the chipper is quick and produces a great mulch layer for under the trees and shrubs.

i have that macallister one - i had thought they were a B&Q only brand, but i bet i'm about to learn that screwfix and B&Q are sister companies.

Advertisement