Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

144hz build

Options
  • 21-10-2019 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Lads what does it take to build a 144hz 1440p build

I tried to rejuvenate my i7 4k and 16gb ddr3 1600 ram with a gtx 1070ti
    but failed to get anywhere near 144hz in most games.

would like to hold on to my existing case,power supply, gtx 1070ti and ssd
    everything else new.

guess amd is the way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

144fps is hard at 1440p unless you lower settings or use resolution scale/filters.
    I've got a 2070 Super and find it hard, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

144hz is a pretty unrealistic expectation even for a 2080ti in most newer games. Even that would also have to be paired with an overclocked intel 8 core 9 series for the best results.

Anything around 100 is fine though. If you really want 144 for competitive reasons start turning down some of your game settings. Some have large performance overheads for very little graphical gains.

If it's an older i7 you are probably being cpu limited as well, especially in larger open world games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

dam just did some research there you guys aint joking about trying to get 144hz. Stupid me probably should have not bought a 1440p 144hz monitor and instead have stuck with 60 hz

Or just stop expecting 144 fps at 2k. Anything above 60 is a bonus.

At least you aren't wasting frames. Around 100 is a good target to aim for with some graphical tweaks and/or some upscaling depending on game title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

dam just did some research there you guys aint joking about trying to get 144hz. Stupid me probably should have not bought a 1440p 144hz monitor and instead have stuck with 60 hz

It's not a complete loss. You can still enjoy the higher res & fps with lower in-game graphics settings. Older titles will probably run and look great, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I used a Fury X at 1440p 144Hz a couple of years ago and yes as above you mostly get around the 100Hz average FPS. Some games I got 144Hz and as I said at the time a fair bit I was not impressed with high refresh rates. I was more impressed with adaptive sync(Freesync). I game at 4K 60Hz for about 2 years now but I do not have adaptive sync since it is a 4K HDR Tv. Yes some TV's have adaptive sync but mine doesn't. I also do not miss high refresh rates. Totally overrated imo.

It's pretty subjective. Some really notice and feel the higher frame rates than others.

I couldn't go back to 60hz and notice it straight away even on desktop if it's reset back to 60 somehow.

Fast paced games at 60hz feel like a slide show as well. My brain can't fill in the blanks anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Playing an FPS at 60hz is like a PowerPoint presentation after experiencing >120hz. I don't know how someone doesn't instantly feel it being miles better. Let's not even talk about playing a 20-30 fps garbage console. Night and day.

Even just using Windows, everything is much smoother. It's the best upgrade I've done in the past few years easily but I do play a lot of FPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anima wrote: »
    Playing an FPS at 60hz is like a PowerPoint presentation after experiencing >120hz. I don't know how someone doesn't instantly feel it being miles better. Let's not even talk about playing a 20-30 fps garbage console. Night and day.

Even just using Windows, everything is much smoother. It's the best upgrade I've done in the past few years easily but I do play a lot of FPS.

That could be the reason I don't see the difference. I play mostly on Xbox and a bit of PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anima wrote: »

After getting used to 110-144 fps at 144hz for a few months, I noticed right away that Dauntless was only hitting 63 fps max when I tried it out again a month ago. The latest patch then removed the frame cap and it was silky smooth afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Played a lot of Destiny 2 over the last few years at 100hz 1440p.

I flick my monitors refresh rate between 60hz and 100hz,sometimes forget to set it back to 100hz before logging into destiny. Can tell almost instantly that ive forgot to change it. Its subtle but theres a certain fluency to higher framerates i feel,not just in destiny,thats just an example im very familiar with.

Some games are just not designed for 144Hz though,say something like the Division 2. That game is not designed to be run at really high refresh rates so 60hz is fine imo.

OP maybe you can check what refresh rates your monitor supports either by havin a look at specs online or just checking the Nvidia control panel resolution section. If 60Hz is not an option you may be able to create a custom resolution and refresh rate. That way you can run either 60hz or 144hz depending on the game. I find that more intense titles id rather have a locked 60 than having higher average framerate but big drops.

I think 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot for monitors but you do have to be willing to do a bit of tweaking of settings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I played all sorts of games on my old 970 for a year @ 1440 still got fps of 90+ once i tweaked settings.
    Once your getting solid 90 fps on a 144hz monitor your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The i7 is still probably ok for a lot of games but realistically for the latest games a 1070ti isn't a 144hz card unless you're running at lower settings. The point of a 144hz monitor isn't to actually get 144 fps in all games, it's to get higher than 60. The 'sweet spot' 144hz build would be something like a 3700x and 5700xt or rtx2070 super. You still would not get 144hz in games but probably a decent 90 in most or so. Depends on the games. Like if you were playing Overwatch 144fps would be grand on your i7 and 1070ti even. Expecting 144hz in the latest games is not remotely achievable nor the point of 144hz monitors either unless talking about games like Overwatch, cs go, etc. Many of the latest games, even if you had a 2080ti running at low settings, would not hit close to 144hz due to the cpu limitation. Just aim for 90fps and go from there. Should be very doable with your i7 and 1070ti as long as you adjust settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Sound advice guys, Think ill hold on to what I have and tweak settings for each game. I thought new mobo + cpu would get me to 144hz:)

Advertisement