Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time frame for urgent repairs

Options
  • 21-10-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

So yesterday i arrived back ro my house to find what i would consider a very major leak in the kitchen. Water was literally running down the wall and had caused what I'd consider significant damage. Door frame beside this was leaking water too. Ceiling wet from that wall to the mid point.

I immediately tried to contact letting agent. No answer so sent a text highlighting prob then i went outside and turned water off at the mains to prevent further damage.

I got a call back approx 3hrs later to say she'd be out in morning and would organise a plumber and let me know what was happening. No call so i rang at lunch today. She said plumber due to call in afternoon. Texted at 5 for update got text back saying she'd told him where key was and gave him my number. No contact from anybody since.

In the position now of no water since 2pm yesterday. Feel its unsafe to use electricity in kitchen given level of water and they are all spot lights plus it was flowing over a light switch.

This is really pissing me off and possibly more then it should as I've let other things slide a bit like 3 mknths waiting for washing machjne repair and a few like that.

I'm at stage now where I'm pretty much fuk this im outta here but contract says 3 months notice. Is there a possibility of getting out of this notice period if repairs are not carried out in a reasonable time frame and what in this instance is that time frame?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why didn’t you turn off the water straight away?

Re plumber there is poor availability at the moment Maybe you weren’t deemed an emergency after eventually turning off the water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

godtabh wrote: »
    Why didn’t you turn off the water straight away?

Ok maybe the time frame above looks longer but we are talking 5 minutes here. Given the water was flowing and pooled on kitchen floor and going from one end to the other.....i seriously doubt my 5 mins of inaction added much damage 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

racso1975 wrote: »
    So yesterday i arrived back ro my house to find what i would consider a very major leak in the kitchen. Water was literally running down the wall and had caused what I'd consider significant damage. Door frame beside this was leaking water too. Ceiling wet from that wall to the mid point.

I immediately tried to contact letting agent. No answer so sent a text highlighting prob then i went outside and turned water off at the mains to prevent further damage.

I got a call back approx 3hrs later to say she'd be out in morning and would organise a plumber and let me know what was happening. No call so i rang at lunch today. She said plumber due to call in afternoon. Texted at 5 for update got text back saying she'd told him where key was and gave him my number. No contact from anybody since.

In the position now of no water since 2pm yesterday. Feel its unsafe to use electricity in kitchen given level of water and they are all spot lights plus it was flowing over a light switch.

This is really pissing me off and possibly more then it should as I've let other things slide a bit like 3 mknths waiting for washing machjne repair and a few like that.

I'm at stage now where I'm pretty much fuk this im outta here but contract says 3 months notice. Is there a possibility of getting out of this notice period if repairs are not carried out in a reasonable time frame and what in this instance is that time frame?

There's little a landlord can do to a tenant that stays and doesn't pay any rent. They can do even less to a tenant that vacats without the correct notice. In theory they can recoup costs from you but that's in theory as our law and courts make it time consuming and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

That is crazy from the Letting Agent but I'd say if you were dealing directly with the Landlord, they may be a bit quicker to react to water damage to their property. I know if it was my place, I'd be on to it quicker.
    Is there any way you can contact the landlord about this directly?

Advertisement