Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwfix in Limerick?

• 21-10-2019 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know exactly where Screwfix trade counter is located in Limerick. Can't find anything on the website(well the location can't be correct as i've never seen it where its supposed to be)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d say it’s only opening, good few key jobs advertised for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d say it’s only opening, good few key jobs advertised for it.

I thought as much, the store locator has on the corner of satisfied street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I was to guess anywhere I’d say Eastway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

Its going into the old Wickes building in Eastway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,814 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I thought as much, the store locator has on the corner of satisfied street

What a pretentious name for a street. ;);)

• Advertisement

What a pretentious name for a street. ;);)

fecking autocorrect on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    fecking autocorrect on the phone

What's worse is that Google says there are 2 streets called that in America

Any time frame on when it will open

Any time frame on when it will open

Well the jobs listed have a closing date of early November, so i'd imagine its due to open around December/January i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

I drove by the old Wicks building in Eastway and I was delighted to see a 'Screwfix' large sign on the side :-) No mention of it on their website yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

deeobrien wrote: »
    I drove by the old Wicks building in Eastway and I was delighted to see a 'Screwfix' large sign on the side :-) No mention of it on their website yet.

To be fair it is currently a Covid19 testing site so won't be open or getting worked on anytime soon. Odd the signs are already on it, went on it whilst it was a testing site as well.

Its strange that there limerick one isn't open . It is being talked about a long time, wicks was half way built into a suitable shop so shouldn't take too much work to be ready. Screwfix in kilkenny is open months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Berty wrote: »
    To be fair it is currently a Covid19 testing site so won't be open or getting worked on anytime soon. Odd the signs are already on it, went on it whilst it was a testing site as well.

The old Wickes unit is being subdivided and Screwfix are only taking a small corner section on the ground floor next to the Polish Shop. Most of what they're taking is on an existing mezzanine level. Works were due to begin in mid December and AFAIK it won't affect the test center.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

https://constructionnews.ie/screwfix-10-new-stores-in-ireland/

Screwfix did announce a couple of days ago that they are opening 10 new Stores in Ireland before the end of January. They didn't mention locations but I don't see why Limerick wouldn't be one of them....they are unlikely to be working on more than 10 new Shops at present.

To be fair to the Screwfix contractors they are on site today working on the unit. So work hasn't stopped, maybe will on Friday with restrictions but who knows.

To be fair to the Screwfix contractors they are on site today working on the unit. So work hasn't stopped, maybe will on Friday with restrictions but who knows.

To be fair to you Berty.............:D.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Well, "to be fair", I couldn't imagine they would want to work on that site being a Covid testing centre. I had imagined that anybody who might have ran a Risk Assessment would have deemed it not viable but "to be fair" I was wrong.

Well, "to be fair", I couldn't imagine they would want to work on that site being a Covid testing centre. I had imagined that anybody who might have ran a Risk Assessment would have deemed it not viable but "to be fair" I was wrong.
    They are highly unlikely to have been working in the actual test center though. It looks to be the stores section of the Wickes store that is being converted and that would already have been partitioned off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Screwfix in Ennis is like a very small Argos, and I mean very small, you go in, there a space with a few terminal on either side and then a counter with 4 terminals, you walk up with your booking, they go get it and off you go, if you don't have a booking you use the terminals as you come in. There is no browsing or anything like that.

Clareman wrote: »
    Screwfix in Ennis is like a very small Argos, and I mean very small, you go in, there a space with a few terminal on either side and then a counter with 4 terminals, you walk up with your booking, they go get it and off you go, if you don't have a booking you use the terminals as you come in. There is no browsing or anything like that.

I was in the kilkenny store its the same. Half the fun of a hardware store is looking at stuff.

• Advertisement

I think nearly all the Screwfix Stores in Ireland (and a lot of the UK ones) are referred to as 'Trade Counter' Stores.
    It presumably keeps costs down, and their website is fairly accurate with Stock levels in any particular Store so wasted journeys should be minimal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was in the kilkenny store its the same. Half the fun of a hardware store is looking at stuff.

It does save me a fortune though as I'm always picking stuff that would be handy, no idea what for, but I'll pick it up. Then again, I do have an alert setup on HUKD for ScrewFix stuff so that's probably the new browsing :D I did get a load of rechargeable batteries this year at a very low price, all my Christmas decorations had rechargeable batteries this year which made me feel a bit happy about myself.

The best part is they are open sundays. My local hardware used to open sundays to the fancy part if the shop and the trade could terrible would be open as well. No yard though. The amount of tradesmen you would meet in there was crazy buying h little bits for the morning . Great for a chat because none was in a mad rush to get to the job

The best part is they are open sundays. My local hardware used to open sundays to the fancy part if the shop and the trade could terrible would be open as well. No yard though. The amount of tradesmen you would meet in there was crazy buying h little bits for the morning . Great for a chat because none was in a mad rush to get to the job
    You'd also regularly see tradesmen in B&Q late in the evening or at weekends when the merchants are closed. I'd say Screwfix will make a killing when it opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Limerick branch opening on Friday. Was speaking to a screwfix employee today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Ordering on Screwfix.ie website isn't an option for many anyway. I ordered a week ago and it still isn't even in the country. No doubt Brexit related but that doesn't change the fact that you'll be waiting a long time if you order online.

I tend to just use the click and collect, if it's not in stock I go somewhere else, I was waiting a couple of months for something before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

First time ordering off them and lesson learnt!

I find them very useful when you're in a rush for something and don't want to be going around different places, or at the weekend when most other places are closed, for example I needed a new transformer for my doorbell, I could have tried a couple of places, or gone to the place that might have been open but I just got onto their website, reserved it and then collected it, painless really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Yes I ordered off screwfix. Was supposed to come by January 7th. Came yesterday.

Advertisement