Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would best represent Waterford in the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Cabaal wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more,
    The water charges fiasco is a perfect example of how the general public fail to educate themselves and would rather blame those who they elect rather then admit to themselves that they failed to do one basic thing we should do before voting...inform yourself!

FG made it clear in their manifesto that they intended to bring in water charges, they got voted in by a large majority at the time and then when they try to follow through on their manifesto people are outraged
    :rolleyes:

On council level its even sillier, people accept all sorts of silly promises the person will never have any control or input over.

In fairness I doubt it was FG supporters who were out in their droves against water charges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Anybody who will have a significant cabinet post in the next government.

At the moment that looks like Paudie Coffey.

It's not the way I'd want the country to be run, but let's face it that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Anybody who will have a significant cabinet post in the next government.

At the moment that looks like Paudie Coffey.

It's not the way I'd want the country to be run, but let's face it that's how it works.

Coffey I reckon is quite unlikely to get a Cabinet post, initially at least, but would be a candidate for Minister of State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

That’s the problem in this city, all we have is TDs condemning things and not actually doing any work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

hardybuck wrote: »
    Coffey I reckon is quite unlikely to get a Cabinet post, initially at least, but would be a candidate for Minister of State.

Yeah that's probably a fair point. It's a pity he wasn't elected last time round from the point of view of progressing local projects. Shortsighted really. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same thing happen again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

DLS_75 wrote: »
    That’s the problem in this city, all we have is TDs condemning things and not actually doing any work

I think David Cullinane has done a lot

Cullinane is a great TD. Always speaks well in the Dail and always clued in when interviewed on TV/radio. Pity we'll never see him in a ministerial role.

Halligan is the greatest waste of space that has ever been sent to Dail Eireann from any constituency. Mounteback.

Are the Social Democrats not running any candidates in Waterford at all?

They're not. I contacted them recently asking this and they said there was no immediate plan to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »

Your new strategy of giving links to negative things about Waterford is only proving the point that Waterford is not being looked after by this government.
    So that's the mortuary , cardiac care and psychiatric care that aren't up to standard. But Waterford people are wrong to give out/march about these things

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

I’m relatively new to Waterford and wasn’t here for the last election.

When I moved here initially the people who impressed me the most were Eddie Mulligan at local level and David Cullinane. I’ve got to know a bit more now and for the next election I would say the best people for the Dail would be Cullinane, Mulligan, Coffey and possibly Cummins. Having said that the chances of FG getting 2 seats must be minimal after the dreadful situation, and getting worse, of the hospital. Perhaps even 1 seat might be a challenge, who knows.

I think definitely with Cullinane, Mulligan and Coffey up there things might start to get done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

I think David Cullinane has done a lot

What has he done?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Got a lot of votes in Tramore - could be a dark horse and outside bet for fourth seat.

Marc is a brilliant lad, has been campaigning/working for what he believes in whether he was a TD/councillor or not, a real man of principle. However I don't agree with a lot of green policies.

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Marc is a brilliant lad, has been campaigning/working for what he believes in whether he was a TD/councillor or not, a real man of principle. However I don't agree with a lot of green policies.

And that’s pretty much all he talks about, so he could never get my vote for that reason.

Gardner wrote: »
    What has he done?

Done what he can when in opposition. Unlike halligan, butler and deasy who are in government and just make promises that never happen and then accept praise when something mildly related to there promises comes true . Well in fairness to deasy he doesn't make even makes promises just does nothing so maybe he's even more honest than halligan/butler

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

debok wrote: »
    Done what he can when in opposition.

Which is what exactly?

Which is what exactly?

He is in opposition so basically all he can to is the question the decisions being made by those in government like deasy and halligan.he also treats people with a bit of respect during my dealings with him. Not answering his phone constantly when talking face to face with a person.Butler is also a waste
    If he wasn't with sinn Fein he would be out best politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

I know he obviously has party loyalties with Sinn Fein,but I personally think if he ran as a independent for Waterford he would probably sweep up a lot of votes with people that are just pure sick of the party political system in this country,it would give him leverage to get things done in this county that we badly crave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Halligan is the greatest waste of space that has ever been sent to Dail Eireann from any constituency. Mounteback.

What about Ciara Conway? Only showed up for photo opportunities when businesses were shutting down. And appearing on Midday on TV3 a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

He is in opposition so basically all he can to is the question the decisions being made by those in government like deasy and halligan.he also treats people with a bit of respect during my dealings with him. Not answering his phone constantly when talking face to face with a person.Butler is also a waste

But he is in Sinn Fein. Whats the point in voting for them? He should have stayed in local politics, he could get more results.

People considering voting for SF need to reflect on the current mess they're involved with in the North, which has no doubt contributed to the lawlessness around the border region.

Not only do their Assembly members in the North not turn up to work, in the middle of all this Brexit mess their MPs won't turn up to their jobs in Westminster and provide a nationalist voice in the Brexit debate.

In the Republic they seem to have huge issues internally with lots of allegations of bullying. Some officials have been before the courts recently for threatening and abusing Gardai. Another councillor was jailed for torturing a man in his garage.

Mary Lou has had a rough start as leader and is going to be under pressure after the next election because it won't go well.

• Advertisement

An opposition TD can contribute to the development of legislation which is one of the key activities of Parliament.

An opposition TD can contribute to the development of legislation which is one of the key activities of Parliament.

which is why you would be asking the contributors to this thread what he has done legislatively. sound bites are great but what substance are behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

So after consulting this thread, I've decided, it's nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dk1982

Not only do their Assembly members in the North not turn up to work, in the middle of all this Brexit mess their MPs won't turn up to their jobs in Westminster and provide a nationalist voice in the Brexit debate.

They're literally elected because of their policy of abstention. Nationalists who vote for them are well aware of what they're getting so i'm not sure why you decide to speak on their behalf.

dk1982 wrote: »
    They're literally elected because of their policy of abstention. Nationalists who vote for them are well aware of what they're getting so i'm not sure why you decide to speak on their behalf.

It would be more accurate to state that they're elected in spite of their policy of abstention - not because of it.

In many constituencies, because of the proportional representation system in place in the UK, many nationalist voters have the choice between voting for SF and not having their views represented in Parliament, or a DUP or UUP candidate getting in and also not having their views represented in Parliament.

This may help to explain the stunning level of ignorance displayed by senior UK Ministers, including the NI Secretary, on Irish affairs.

Bringing this back to Waterford, as SF are a 32 county organisation, led by their leader in the Dáil, the local electorate should think long and hard about whether they want to support an organisation like this.

Bernadette Phillips is running as the 24/7 candidate in the next general election. i bet ya Stan didn't foresee that. :D She has gazumped Matt Shanahan and his intentions and i'd love to be a fly on the wall when he found out :D

she introduces herself as Social Scientist, Social Historian, Social Policy. you couldn't make this **** up :D:D:D:D

Bernadette Phillips is running as the 24/7 candidate in the next general election. i bet ya Stan didn't foresee that. :D She has gazumped Matt Shanahan and his intentions and i'd love to be a fly on the wall when he found out :D

she introduces herself as Social Scientist, Social Historian, Social Policy. you couldn't make this **** up :D:D:D:D

How do you know mat shanahan plans? All the above drama is in your own head.
    I heard she going to sort out north Korea and look into finding aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Not really.
    Matt is a shoe in if he runs.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Not really.
    Matt is a shoe in if he runs.

Would be a waste of a seat if you ask me, electing somebody on a single issue such as the hospital is ridiculous, just look at how ineffective John Halligan has being in government and he is a position to do something.

• Advertisement

I don’t think Matt has anything to worry about from Bernadette. Whoever she is.

Advertisement