Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would best represent Waterford in the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

debok wrote:
    How do you know mat shanahan plans? All the above drama is in your own head. I heard she going to sort out north Korea and look into finding aliens.

Aliens! I'm sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Not really.
    Matt is a shoe in if he runs.

Incredible that there is even a thought out there that he could become a TD...have we learnt nothing, he would disappear never to be seen or do anything, just like halligan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Would be a waste of a seat if you ask me, electing somebody on a single issue such as the hospital is ridiculous, just look at how ineffective John Halligan has being in government and he is a position to do something.

Maybe
    But he can hardly do any worse than the present 4 that we have up in the dail, who have achieved nothing for the county.

Maybe
    But he can hardly do any worse than the present 4 that we have up in the dail, who have achieved nothing for the county.

Not a reason to elect another useless one though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

debok wrote: »
    He is in opposition so basically all he can to is the question the decisions being made by those in government like deasy and halligan..

So he's done nothing then?

questioning stuff from the side lines is easy, anyone can do that. When in opposition you can always promise that you'd give the sun, moon and stars knowing you'll not have to fulfill anything.

So again, what has he actually done other then sound good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Cabaal wrote: »

questioning stuff from the side lines is easy, anyone can do that. When in opposition you can always promise that you'd give the sun, moon and stars knowing you'll not have to fulfill anything.

He has done nothing and while some may say a vote for an independent like shanahan is a wasted vote, at least their is a possibility that the candidate may be part of a government and hold some balance of power. Like we had hoped would happen with halligan but he failed to deliver.
    Sinn Fein won't be in power next government so cullinane once again won't be able to deliver anything. It's a wasted vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Conway was harsly treated at the last election. If she runs she deserves another chance. She is young and will get a lot women voters to support her. Could be a dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

subpar wrote: »
    Conway was harsly treated at the last election. If she runs she deserves another chance. She is young and will get a lot women voters to support her. Could be a dark horse.

poor choice in my opinion, but we have a fairly poor choice overall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

If the young female voters are that stuck for someone to vote for we're all fecked.

Cabaal wrote: »

He was in the PAC yesterday looking for alternatives to the Carbon Tax. That seems to be something SF and others definitely don't want, but the ESRI and others feel it should be a lot higher.

• Advertisement

He has done nothing and while some may say a vote for an independent like shanahan is a wasted vote, at least their is a possibility that the candidate may be part of a government and hold some balance of power. Like we had hoped would happen with halligan but he failed to deliver.
    Sinn Fein won't be in power next government so cullinane once again won't be able to deliver anything. It's a wasted vote.

Highly unlikely I would say to have balance of power, there are smaller parties to work with and other independents in the same gene pool and other independents they have history with. A vote for independent or a party unlikely to be in government is a waste, as you say, look at halligan, likes of shanahan would be even worse, if possible. Only exception I would say would be cullinane, worth keeping him in probably as SF will form part of a government possibly in next few elections IMO, he is fairly high up in SF and is decent in opposition too.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Highly unlikely I would say to have balance of power, there are smaller parties to work with and other independents in the same gene pool and other independents they have history with. A vote for independent or a party unlikely to be in government is a waste, as you say, look at halligan, likes of shanahan would be even worse, if possible. Only exception I would say would be cullinane, worth keeping him in probably as SF will form part of a government possibly in next few elections IMO, he is fairly high up in SF and is decent in opposition too.

You can never say never, but it is highly unlikely that SF will be part of Government in the near future. They just have too many skeletons in the closet, and their current membership seem to have too many run ins with the law.

Labour, Greens, Social Democrats and Independents all have a greater chance of being in Government than SF.

hardybuck wrote: »
    You can never say never, but it is highly unlikely that SF will be part of Government in the near future. They just have too many skeletons in the closet, and their current membership seem to have too many run ins with the law.

Labour, Greens, Social Democrats and Independents all have a greater chance of being in Government than SF.
    Yeah, agree in general, but the smell of gunpowder from SF is not what it used to be and clearly there is a fed up demographic who think, f-it, give em a chance in govt and see what they do. Probably not this time out as I reckon it will be FF/FG one main, one abstain support pact again.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Yeah, agree in general, but the smell of gunpowder from SF is not what it used to be and clearly there is a fed up demographic who think, f-it, give em a chance in govt and see what they do. Probably not this time out as I reckon it will be FF/FG one main, one abstain support pact again.

Maybe in 15-20 years, but the North will continue to be an ongoing issue that will give people down here a flavour of what they're about.

They're just been hammered in the local and European elections a few months ago. If that was replicated again in the next general election, they would lose TDs at a rate similar to what happened to Labour.

Mary Lou has been terribly quiet of late - which isn't like her.

Are Labour running a candidate actually? Presume they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

O yes, I remember her! Also remember her saying the she wouldn’t want a ministerial position had she got the deputy leadership of labour at the time. Once bitten, twice shy, I’d never waste my vote on her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

John Pratt is running for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

I see David Cullinane giving Eddie mulligan free publicity over on Facebook. Those shinners are not the smartest tools in the shed are they?

Paudie Coffey has announced that he will not stand at the next general election.

In my book, this rubber stamps the return of 1 FG, 1 SF and 1 FF, with a shootout for the last seat between the independents, Labour and the Greens.

I think that 1 FG might be Geoghegan also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Paudie Coffey has announced that he will not stand at the next general election.

In my book, this rubber stamps the return of 1 FG, 1 SF and 1 FF, with a shootout for the last seat between the independents, Labour and the Greens.

I think that 1 FG might be Geoghegan also.

This is very disappointing. There is a good chance now that the city will be left with no voice in government again. It is ridiculous that the fifth largest urban area in the state can be left so unrepresented in government.

Coffey had a good chance of becoming a minister or at least it seemed that way. Maybe he felt he was being side-lined and decided to quit.

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    This is very disappointing. There is a good chance now that the city will be left with no voice in government again. It is ridiculous that the fifth largest urban area in the state can be left so unrepresented in government.

Coffey had a good chance of becoming a minister or at least it seemed that way. Maybe he felt he was being side-lined and decided to quit.

Well in fairness Halligan is a member of Government and Minister of State, and has been for over three and a half years.

I don't think that either Limerick or Galway cities currently have Ministers.

But yes I thought that Coffey was a better and more experienced candidate than the others running, and would have been in with a shout of at least a Junior Ministry if FG were reelected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

It's strange... I'd have thought this was his best shot at being re-elected, and that he'd have a good chance of a junior ministry at the very least. He's put in the time, and this would seem to have been his time to reap the rewards.

We don't know everything that's going on though, and he may well just be sick of it all, and genuinely want to spend more time with his family.

He's done us a service, getting the SDZ for North Quays. Hopefully that will all work out and he can point proudly to his legacy.

fricatus wrote: »
    It's strange... I'd have thought this was his best shot at being re-elected, and that he'd have a good chance of a junior ministry at the very least. He's put in the time, and this would seem to have been his time to reap the rewards.

We don't know everything that's going on though, and he may well just be sick of it all, and genuinely want to spend more time with his family.

He's done us a service, getting the SDZ for North Quays. Hopefully that will all work out and he can point proudly to his legacy.

It may also be that his party hasn't selected him.

It may also be that his party hasn't selected him.

He was selected two years ago. That is why it is strange.

He was selected two years ago. That is why it is strange.

The whole thing is definitely a little unusual.

Coffey must have been selected two years ago, along with Deasy, on the basis that they had to be election ready?

It came out in October that two additional candidates would be added to the ticket - Geoghegan and Cummins. Three in total.

As noted, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but he mightn't have been happy with this strategy. On the face of it, it appears to me to be a high risk strategy to run three candidates in a four seat constituency where you only have one current TD - who is himself not running again.

Perhaps he issued an ultimatum and it was ignored. Perhaps the party re-evaluated the election strategy, or perhaps he just didn't want to run for personal reasons as previously mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

internal FG polls showing they were struggling to hold 1 seat as is. something sinister in all this.
    next election could well see only 1 td in government (Mary Butler) and i can't see her getting a ministerial role.

Cullinane, FG candidate and either Labour/Indo candidates (Halligan/ Shanahan) all sitting in opposition.

What is it about Coffey that I'm missing?

People lamenting him losing out last time and not running this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

What is it about Coffey that I'm missing?

People lamenting him losing out last time and not running this time...

He surely would have been better than the invisible man at the very least, think that's why people were disappointed he missed out last time. Don't think he would have been elected with 3 FG candidates running this time around anyway.

Gardner wrote: »
    internal FG polls showing they were struggling to hold 1 seat as is. something sinister in all this.
    next election could well see only 1 td in government (Mary Butler) and i can't see her getting a ministerial role.

Cullinane, FG candidate and either Labour/Indo candidates (Halligan/ Shanahan) all sitting in opposition.

FF squad depth is extremely thin. If they get in, they could well be in a coalition with any number of SF/Labour/Green/Independent so you just wouldn't know if she managed to get a Ministry or not. If they swapped places with FG as leading a minority Government she could well get a seat at the table.

• Advertisement

FF squad depth is extremely thin. If they get in, they could well be in a coalition with any number of SF/Labour/Green/Independent so you just wouldn't know if she managed to get a Ministry or not. If they swapped places with FG as leading a minority Government she could well get a seat at the table.

Mary Butler does not represent Waterford. Her behaviour with the boundary extension proves that. Would never vote for her following what she did then.

Advertisement