Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would best represent Waterford in the next general election?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

BBM77 wrote: »
    Mary Butler does not represent Waterford. Her behaviour with the boundary extension proves that. Would never vote for her following what she did then.

Remind us there again about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

hardybuck wrote: »
    Remind us there again about that?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057448776&page=18

She said if the boundary extension was put to a Dail vote she would vote against it.

The boundary extension makes sense in spatial planning, local government and as the area was historically administered by the city up 1845. It is a perfectly reasonable ambition for the city to have. To come out and talk about an important issue like this in her own constituency the way she did was appalling.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057448776&page=18

She said if the boundary extension was put to a Dail vote she would vote against it.

The boundary extension makes sense in spatial planning, local government and as the area was historically administered by the city up 1845. It is a perfectly reasonable ambition for the city to have. To come out and talk about an important issue like this in her own constituency the way she did was appalling.

I tried finding it but couldn't, however I do recall that alright.

When searching I came across a terribly petty, and poorly spelled, tweet directed at Mary Butler last year.

She does appear to be very conservative, which at this point is very Fianna Fáil..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Mary Butler does not represent Waterford. Her behaviour with the boundary extension proves that. Would never vote for her following what she did then.

She also voted against having a referendum about abortion. Hopefully Eddie Mulligan will take her place at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

My guess for seats , mulligan , cullinane , Cummins , Green Party bloke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

My guess, which will more than likely change as we go:
    Geoghegan - he got a great local election vote and dungarvan is there for the taking. Actually surprised that Sinn Fein don’t try that chap McGuinness down there.

Butler - she’s a hard worker but extremely naive and as mentioned above, her actions on the boundary issue were poor. I’d put that down to naivety though. She’ll get that Fianna F vote - those people who will vote for whomever FF run.

Cullinane - our strongest TD. Pity about the party but will get elected no bother.

Shanahan - by all accounts he’s been a poor councillor but people will vote for him as the hospital candidate. Personally I think he’s intelligent and would make a good TD for Waterford.

Leaving Eddie Mulligan our because I think FF will struggle to get two in. He’s the hardest worker of all the politicians and has done a lot to help my family. But I just have a bad feeling about it.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    My guess, which will more than likely change as we go:
    Geoghegan - he got a great local election vote and dungarvan is there for the taking. Actually surprised that Sinn Fein don’t try that chap McGuinness down there.

Butler - she’s a hard worker but extremely naive and as mentioned above, her actions on the boundary issue were poor. I’d put that down to naivety though. She’ll get that Fianna F vote - those people who will vote for whomever FF run.

Cullinane - our strongest TD. Pity about the party but will get elected no bother.

Shanahan - by all accounts he’s been a poor councillor but people will vote for him as the hospital candidate. Personally I think he’s intelligent and would make a good TD for Waterford.

Leaving Eddie Mulligan our because I think FF will struggle to get two in. He’s the hardest worker of all the politicians and has done a lot to help my family. But I just have a bad feeling about it.

Agree on 1-3. Anything could happen on #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

one thing that is certain with Waterford is that it will always elect 1 FG and 1 FF as a minimum. Geoghegan is a cert for FG in the West. Butler is a cert for FF. this is where it gets interesting. Cullinane got a huge protest vote the last time around but that won't materialise this time with Matt Shanahan running. Cullinane could run into sticky ground with transfers. remember SF had a very average local election and with Declan Clune now been given the door it will affect their vote in mid Waterford. the final 2 seats are between Shanahan, Cullinane, Halligan and 1 other of green/labour.
    like i said previously, Butler will be in Government and we could end up with 3 opposition TD's with one of them being a single issue candidate. it's a complete waste of a vote. Bernadette Phillips is running also as a hospital candidate due to the split between Shanahan and Willie Doyle's group so that may also split the vote but i don't expect her to get over 1500 votes in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Gardner wrote: »
    one thing that is certain with Waterford is that it will always elect 1 FG and 1 FF as a minimum. Geoghegan is a cert for FG in the West. Butler is a cert for FF. this is where it gets interesting. Cullinane got a huge protest vote the last time around but that won't materialise this time with Matt Shanahan running. Cullinane could run into sticky ground with transfers. remember SF had a very average local election and with Declan Clune now been given the door it will affect their vote in mid Waterford. the final 2 seats are between Shanahan, Cullinane, Halligan and 1 other of green/labour.
    like i said previously, Butler will be in Government and we could end up with 3 opposition TD's with one of them being a single issue candidate. it's a complete waste of a vote. Bernadette Phillips is running also as a hospital candidate due to the split between Shanahan and Willie Doyle's group so that may also split the vote but i don't expect her to get over 1500 votes in reality.

Is shanahan definitely running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I don't see Butler such a shoe-in for FF. The only time she has been seen was during the abortion referendum. Her stance during that referendum may affect voters choice. Hardly heard of her since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

yes. his ego wouldn't be able to control itself if he didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Cullinane to top the poll, assuming SF still only run one candidate. Butler second as she has a free run at the county FF vote and unopposed in Portlaw. Geoghegan in third with the county FG vote and forth will be a dog fight as normal that will be easier to call once the candidates are known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Gardner wrote: »
    yes. his ego wouldn't be able to control itself if he didn’t.

Sorry but I don't really know shanahan. never heard of him till the cardiac issue. What's the story with him?
    What ya mean about his ego? How do you definitely know he's running? Coffey was being elected on here the last few weeks and turns out he's not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

He has not declared and says he is thinking about it, personally I think it will be a tragedy if he does, he will split the City vote yet again and even if elected has very little experience and is quite naive in a lot of his ramblings.

Geoghan, Cullinane, Butler (vom) and without Shanahan, Mulligan should get the last one ironically the best candidate Waterford Inc could send to the Dail

It would be interesting if those who post on the Waterford County forum provided a view on this.

Regarding Shanahan, for those from Dungarvan and west of it driving to Ardkeen and Cork would probably be fairly similar, so they may have much bigger priorities.

It seems to have been lost on voters during the local elections, but the Councillors have feck all input towards HSE decisions regarding the hospital. I wonder how he's getting on with issues like deciding commercial rates, parking charges, highlighting anti-social behaviour etc.

Great news today re Walsh park and of our politicians it was Paudie Coffey who helped deliver it. Between this and the north quays he really has been our most successful politican in recent years. Such a pity he didn't get back in the last election.
    Right decision by him not to rerun. Can't see them getting anyone elected this time around after the way they have neglected Waterford.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Great news today re Walsh park and of our politicians it was Paudie Coffey who helped deliver it. Between this and the north quays he really has been our most successful politican in recent years. Such a pity he didn't get back in the last election.
    Right decision by him not to rerun. Can't see them getting anyone elected this time around after the way they have neglected Waterford.

They’ll definitely get one elected, that’s a certainty, there’s a strong FG in the west of the county and that won’t go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

I don’t understand how most people think Mary butler is going to get re-elected.shes about as useful as a ashtray on a motorbike.shes done nothing for Waterford bar stand outside the hospital with promises,she went against the boundary extension for Waterford,she also wanted to refuse people a referendum on abortion.surely Eddie mulligan would be a better bet than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Muttley79 wrote: »
    I don’t understand how most people think Mary butler is going to get re-elected.shes about as useful as a ashtray on a motorbike.shes done nothing for Waterford bar stand outside the hospital with promises,she went against the boundary extension for Waterford,she also wanted to refuse people a referendum on abortion.surely Eddie mulligan would be a better bet than her.
    Butler has a big silent support from the West especially amongst the older cohort. People who consider CUH as their local hospital so couldn't care less about her activities outside UHW and also people who share her views on abortion. Coffey pulling out will help her in her local area too. Wouldn't be surprised to see her sail in with a bit to spare

Butler has a big silent support from the West especially amongst the older cohort. People who consider CUH as their local hospital so couldn't care less about her activities outside UHW and also people who share her views on abortion. Coffey pulling out will help her in her local area too. Wouldn't be surprised to see her sail in with a bit to spare

Unfortunately this is true. If you follow her on social media she regularly likes to invite buses of pensioners up on day outs to Leinster house, where she meets them and shows them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

That's the big problem in this county,parish pump politics over the broader county and national problems."I'm alright" sure didn't they fill in the potholes down the road from me.we keep electing the same politicians back expecting different results!!we have a very poor calibre of politicians to represent us in this county in general.looks like not much is going to change yet around Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Muttley79 wrote:
    That's the big problem in this county,parish pump politics over the broader county and national problems."I'm alright" sure didn't they fill in the potholes down the road from me.we keep electing the same politicians back expecting different results!!we have a very poor calibre of politicians to represent us in this county in general.looks like not much is going to change yet around Waterford

Unfortunately I think the same can be said for the country as a whole, it's very concerning, I can't really see much changing over the next few years, as I'd say ff will just stroll back in in a few weeks, and it ll be business as usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Muttley79 wrote: »

When has Waterford ever had a good politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

When has Waterford ever had a good politician?

Paudie coffey and Martin cullen for two.

Advertisement