Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy now or new year

Options
  • 22-10-2019 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to change the bike, and thinking about a brand new one (never had a brand new one before).

There are some decent deals if I buy now vs Jan, 10-12% difference in price.

Pros:
    * Get a new bike now
    * Save money

Cons:
    * Harder hit on depreciation
    * Winter is coming

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Are you trading in, or have something to try and sell first?

I was pricing around and saw no price benefit in buying now vs Jan. If anything I would have paid more now as the 'free stock' bikes were a little higher in spec, whereas the spec I wanted (actually a bit lower) was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

thos wrote: »
    Are you trading in, or have something to try and sell first?

I was pricing around and saw no price benefit in buying now vs Jan. If anything I would have paid more now as the 'free stock' bikes were a little higher in spec, whereas the spec I wanted (actually a bit lower) was cheaper.

I've already sold my bike, it's being collected in two weeks time (friend of a friend type deal).

The bikes I'm looking for are all standard, and they're having a winter sale until the end of the year...

It's too tempting, might have to go put a deposit down!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Depreciation tbh is a weird thing on bikes half years don't matter frankly.

Id buy if the deal was good. I wouldn't be concerned about 192 or 201 or whatever it will be. And I don't think it will make any significant difference come sale time

If spec is good and price is good then just get it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If its a standard bike, I wouldn't be too fussed over the reg. It'll be brand new regardless. If the deal suits you go for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If it's a good deal I'd go for it. But is there a new version of the same bike coming, hence the discount. Would it be better to wait for a revised version of the bike?

Also, January is a good time to buy second hand. You'll save a bit, sellers get desperate having bought their new 201 bike already and second hand bike demand being at its lowest in January.

• Advertisement

So what is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

listermint wrote: »
    Depreciation tbh is a weird thing on bikes half years don't matter frankly.

Id buy if the deal was good. I wouldn't be concerned about 192 or 201 or whatever it will be. And I don't think it will make any significant difference come sale time

If spec is good and price is good then just get it

Ditto, I bought my new bike in October too. No plate shennanigans is irrelevent, and the pricing is better especially if it's in stock : they'll be keen to shift it.
    colm_c wrote: »
    I'm looking to change the bike, and thinking about a brand new one (never had a brand new one before).

There are some decent deals if I buy now vs Jan, 10-12% difference in price.

Pros:
    * Get a new bike now
    * Save money

Cons:
    * Harder hit on depreciation
    * Winter is coming

In order you have above, I'd say:
    Pros
    * Indeed: nothing like a new bike at any time of year
    * Always a good idea

Cons:
    * As no of bikes sold new in this country are so small, I don't think it's relevant. And, if you buy end of year the better price now compensates for any (perceived) depreciation that you think you might experience a few years down the road. The new-new one 201 is more expensive anyway.......so that's going to lose more money whichever way you spin it.
    * Winter. Well last year was v.mild I thought, and just being able to toddle out on your new bike whenever the winter sun shone was worth it. Gear on, heated grips on, enjoy the fresh air. There is no downside.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

zubair wrote: »
    If it's a good deal I'd go for it. But is there a new version of the same bike coming, hence the discount. Would it be better to wait for a revised version of the bike?

Also, January is a good time to buy second hand. You'll save a bit, sellers get desperate having bought their new 201 bike already and second hand bike demand being at its lowest in January.

It's only a newish model in 2018/19, so no new model coming early next year that I know of.
    thos wrote: »
    So what is it??

KTM Duke 790

It's only a newish model in 2018/19, so no new model coming early next year that I know of.

Can't see any reason to wait, so. Might as well be riding it asap :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

KTM Duke 790
    Very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

There is a revised 790 doing the testing rounds for the past few months (brembo brakes, different suspension) so it's likely they might either release an R version or an updated one. There's rumours of an 890 hike but that's probably not happening. EICMA is soon enough so it may appear there.

I'd say definitely a good bit more expensive either way so if you are getting a bargain now and are happy with it there's no need to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I got a very good deal on my 192 (with the newer colour scheme) instead of waiting.....I would deffo do the deal now unless its a revised edition of the bike you are after. Even if they cannot do anything on the price of the bike you can haggle the nuts off them on accessories and the like.

The deal is done :eek:

Should be good to go in about 2 weeks!

Actually, it's a year ago yesterday I got mine : [sigh]

...it's all giddy goo goo when you see it for the first time :D

493531.png

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

The deal is done :eek:

Should be good to go in about 2 weeks!

Congrats and welcome to the KTM club! I bought a Superduke in July knowing full well there was a new one out for next year. But I honestly don't care. The exiting one is literally all I want from a road bike. I got to swap parts across form the previous one and got a good few quid off in getting all the bits that I wanted (track pack, QS+ etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Grants!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yeah welcome to the wild side.....KTMs are my LYFE!!!!

Advertisement