Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a newborn a GP in Ireland.

• 22-10-2019 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, we recently had a baby in the uk and moved back to Ireland. We are living and working here but can't get our baby a GP.. He is due his 6 week checks and soon his immunisations. We are on a waiting list to be nominated a GP but the hse said it could take up to a year. What do we do? Can anybody help??
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭Milly33

Where abouts are you, sounds mad. But can see this happens probably more to do with the free GP care than anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kpjl88

Milly33 wrote: »
    Where abouts are you, sounds mad. But can see this happens probably more to do with the free GP care than anything....
    We are in Monaghan. I don't think the free GP care is the issue because we can't get a GP either; but we aren't too worried about us right now we just want to get the wee one sorted..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Our old practice closed suddenly so we had to find a new GP in Dublin. I basically rang every practice within a reasonable distance until we were able to transfer the records across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

In the short term can you contact the local public health nurse and ask for her advice on the immunisations?

It won't speed up getting a GP, but you should be able to have the checks and immunisations done at your local health centre. Depending on what part of the country you're in, "local" is a very loose term, but it would get them done at least.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/children_s_health/child_health_services.html

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_services/children_s_health/immunisations_for_children.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ring all your local GPs,explain about the vaccinations, and contact your PHN.I wouldn't be waiting on the HSE to find you one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

It might also speed up registration if you apply for a PPS number for your baby asap. If a baby is born in Ireland they are automatically given a PPS number (I think) but you will have to go apply for one if not, and I think it is needed to register with a GP practice.

And, as Shesty says, just contact your local practices directly.

We had a similar situation where we were in Ireland for about 2 months when baby was about 6-14 weeks old and managed to get the first set of immunisations done in Ireland, and we are getting the rest done in the UK. It was only possible with the help of an extremely nice and helpful PHN - going through "the system" is just endless red tape and very slow.

Possibly consider bringing to a private GP (if you get a good recommendation) for the six week check, if there is such a thing.

FYI the immunisation schedule is different in Ireland to the UK. in UK it is 8, 12, 16 weeks. In Ireland it is 2,4,6 months. Starting a bit late shouldn't be a big issue either, so don't worry about that, on the assumption that a baby is unlikely to be exposed to the various things the six-in-one etc protects against at an early stage, so if it was 10 rather than 8 weeks getting the first one I wouldn't worry too much (although obviously good to just get them done!).

Advertisement