Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MITX replacement

Options
  • 22-10-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

My pc has started BSOD-ing again for the 3/4th time since I built it just over a year ago. I'm in my final year of a masters and need it to write and do the usual windows related stuff.

Currently have:
    ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING MITX
    Ryzen 2600
    Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB)

With all the BSOD I'm getting over the last year those are the 3x part I want to replace.

I would be happy enough with the same, I may conciser an i5 if it's worth changing to Intel. I don't have a budget as such but I can't be spending a fortune, so equal replacements of the same quality/performance 1 year later.

On a bright note, I see the ram above has dropped from 270 to 140ish which I assume is across the board :D

---EDIT---

I'm restricted to 65W cpu's as the Dancase is a bit to small for anything higher wattage and I want to keep this thing as silent as it is now.

It's for Revit/Navisworks/Solibri/Lightroom/Photoshop and Word :D Primarily software with a preferrence to faster cpu's vs more cores

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Have you run memtest to test if it's just the RAM?

Is the CPU running overclocked / auto-OC?

Which cooler are you using/how are temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Have you run memtest to test if it's just the RAM?

Is the CPU running overclocked / auto-OC?

Which cooler are you using/how are temps?

I ran Memtest last year on a single stick and dual for upto a day each.

Not overclocked, all those setting are not possible or turned of on the mobo. Temps are high-ish around 60-65C but thats due to the fan setting being very slow, it ramps up pretty quickly and I don't think it see over 80C. It's a small case Noctua NH-L9A. It BSOD's on boot up after login, hardly very taxing when Lightroom was exporting 2 days ago and maxing out the CPU for a good 30mins.

Honestly, I just need this to be stable. I got caught out 2x in the last year where it started BSOD-ing right before a college handup. Both times I thought I had figured out why the cause was but it's back again. I just want to swap out the Mobo/cpu/ram for new, I know the GFX is fine as I tested with that previously.

Is it running BIOS Version 2801 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Out of interest, did you reseat the CPU? It sounds like it might be bent pins or something socket related since it keeps failing over with different errors.

It's the same 3-4 BSOD messages I get, I have a thread here with a bit more info: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057923971

How could it be bent pins, wouldn't it happen constantly? It's intermittent in that it's happening for the 3rd time in a year, it's a constant loop though once it happens. The last time I uninstalled an audio driver and that seems to have fixed it, until now. I did have a phone plugged in this morning but it was fine with the same phone lastnight :confused:

I'll check BIOS this evening and update if it's old.

• Advertisement

Phone plugged into PC shouldn't affect the OS - that would be a false-cause fallacy IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 grissol21

what's the BSOD message down the bottom? that should narrow down what might be the cause.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Seems to be pointing at a driver issue or at least, the system service exception does. The other two could be symptoms. I'm assuming you have an SSD as your boot drive?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x3b--system-service-exception

It's no harm to reseat your CPU, make sure cooler is clicked/screwed in correctly and reseat your RAM. It is very unlikely to be hardware, but no harm in making sure. Considering the alternative is to spend 200-300€, it's probably worth the few hours it'll take to take it apart and put it back together.

Now for a wild guess. Maybe try disconnecting the case USB slots. Again, wild guess here, but both times you have mentioned BSOD involved a device being plugged into a USB slot, and I'm assuming it was the case slots rather than the back of the PC being used.. Perhaps you are missing some motherboard drivers for your USB controller? Or maybe the front panel is just bad. My last case had bad USB3 front headers. Thought it was a motherboard issue but my new case works fine with usb3.

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Drivers was my thoughts also when it previously happened, using audio drivers and I think something pdf related resolved it last time.

I just went into recovery, uninstalled anything usb related from device manager. Reboot into Windows, opened device manager to scan new devices and it BSOD again with the above error code, a new one to me.

I have an nvme drive, Samsung. With regards to the front usb 3 panel, I recently had a problem with my phone not communicating via fastboot on the front panel usb but using a rear port was fine.

I'll try unplugging the front usb ports. Short of reseating the CPU and running memtest again or reinstalling Windows I'm not sure what to do next before I buy new hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

I had similar errors to that on my laptop last year. Intermittent crashes and couldn't for the life of me recreate or prevent the crashes. I have a Kingston nvme ssd. I tried reinstalling windows, swapping ram, i think i must have tried everything. I decided to swap out the nvme with a normal ssd but my laptop is a dell and you need an extra cable for normal 2.5inch drives.

So ordered that and while i was waiting I decided, what the hell i would try one last thing with the nvme. In the bios i had noticed that windows was installed in Raid mode, so i formatted the drive and changed it to ahci mode and reinstalled windows and its been perfect ever since, i can even play low graphics games on it.

This might be totally unrelated to you problem but i was getting very similar errors.

Advertisement