Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DELETE THIS THREAD. WRONG FORUM.

• 22-10-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭

My fiance got a new job recently and her hours have been... tremendous to say the least.

But today - or last night - was her first time doing an overnight shift. She did 9pm til 9am, then she was told there was training and a team meeting between 10am and 2pm.

She didn't seem too bothered by it but with the health issues I know her to have it concerned me that these people in her work don't give a flying **** what your health conditions are. Is it right to have someone do 12 hours then immediately get them to go to another 4 hours of training? If it's totally normal then I'll stand down from my annoyance at this.

But it's not sitting right with me at the minute. She will be finished at 2pm, and then she will have to try to stay awake until tonight because she's up again tomorrow morning for another 12 hour shift at 9am...

I've only ever experienced the atypical 9-5 job so this is out of my zone here and very odd to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭fergald

I have seen this before, it should be the rare exception rather than the rule. If it continues she will need to discuss it with her manager, explaining that she has just done a 12 hour shift. Managers make these meeting requests but sometimes forget people shifts, a simple chat would do it and it should not occur again. If it does then she should be accommodated on this day by being allowed to finish earlier etc etc. Most good managers are happy to be flexible, because the time will come where they will need the employee to be flexible.

Advertisement