Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st time in court-Garda mistaken?

• 22-10-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a conundrum and I would appreciate some advice from your learned selves..

Last May, I was rushing to visit my 5 year old son, who lives with his Mum about 30 miles away. Needless to say, I was pulled over by a Garda for going 120 in a 100. Fair enough.
    I was so stressed out that all I can remember the Garda doing was looking over the tax, insurance etc, which was all in order, but I do know that I did not have my licence with me.

About a month ago, I received a registered letter, summonsing me to court for failure to produce insurance details. Even though I was insured.
    I rang a regional Garda station (as my other two local ones were closed, and was informed that I actually had 6 summonses against me for the court date!
    I told the Garda that, apart from not having my licence on me, but I have a licence, the car was insured, taxed and NCT's. Plus I paid the fine so there was no loss incurred by the state.

The Garda just said to meet the prosecuting garda on morning of court, produce docs, and he will dismiss the case.

I dont really trust this advice. What should I do?

Thank you in advance. The court is tomorrow.

P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

greenpilot wrote: »
    Hi,
    What should I do?

Meet the prosecuting garda on morning of court, produce docs, and he will dismiss the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I wouldn't trust them, just bring all your documentation, speak to a local solicitor that will be there on the day anyway and they'll represent you for a small fee if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Azizur Rahman

When you were stopped, you were likely asked to produce your driving license AND insurance / NCT cert at a Garda station within 10 days. If you failed to do this then you get numerous summons for driving without a license insurance etc but also for failing to produce them.

As the other posters said, show up with your license, your insurance cert (the A4 page) and NCT cert (the A4 page). Even if the prosecuting garda isn't there, any other garda can check the documents and let the judge know its all in order and strike out the prosecution. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Try to contact the guard in advance, and you can show him/email him the documents. Could save you a day off work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Thank you for all the replies folks.
    Im feeling much more confident now.

Cheers.

I shall let you all know what surpassed.

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

Something similar happened me before. I finally got hold of the actual guard and showed him everything about a week before the date.. He told me not to bother coming into court that he would have it struck out.

I didnt go and i never heard a thing since and i have been in to the station over the years since for vetting docs etc so it must have been dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP have you learned your lesson from this ?

There are other fathers and mothers 5 year olds using the same road you were caught speeding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

There are other fathers and mothers 5 year olds using the same road you were caught speeding on.

Wasn't aware 5 years were aloud to drive on the roads :confused:

Sure there is always one i suppose:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

087brain21 wrote: »

"Aloud" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

There is always one on their high horse :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

087brain21 wrote: »

Not very bright here. I will break it down for you.
    Passengers in cars. . Take a risk with your own life not with others

Is it legal advice that's not allowed in here, or irrelevant, preachy, hectoring comments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Are you trying to help? ^

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    Is it legal advice that's not allowed in here, or irrelevant, preachy, hectoring comments?
    triona1 wrote: »
    Are you trying to help? ^

The right answer was given in the first reply to the question.

gwalk wrote: »
    Meet the prosecuting garda on morning of court, produce docs, and he will dismiss the case.

The only thing to add is just to emphasise that greenpilot needs their original certificate of insurance for the date of the incident with them. The disc is not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd be sitting in the court until you hear them say it's dismissed, last thing you want is you gone home and the Garda looks for a win and you end up with a bench warrant on your head.

Advertisement